Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

J.D. Power most dependable brand: Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

J.D. Power most dependable brand: Lincoln

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/17/auto...lity/index.htm

I didn't expect this result.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Ford's Lincoln luxury car brand scored No. 1 in dependability in the latest annual survey from J.D. Power and Associates, its first time in the top spot.

The survey asks owners of three-year-old cars how many problems they've had with their vehicles. The results are then tallied in terms of the problems per 100 vehicles.

Lincoln had an average score of 101. Toyota's Lexus brand, which came in second, had a score of 109. The average vehicle score was 151 problems per 100 vehicles.

The rate of improvement in dependability has slowed down in recent years. J.D. Power attributed that to increasingly complex vehicle technologies, including entertainment systems and tire pressure monitoring systems.

"As manufacturers add new features and technologies to satisfy customer demand and new legislation, they face the potential for introducing new problems," David Sargent, vice president of global vehicle research at J.D. Power, said in the announcement.

Besides Lincoln and Lexus, the top-ranked brands were Jaguar, Porsche, Toyota (separately from Lexus), Acura, Buick, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac and Hyundai.

While domestic automakers Ford, General Motors and Chrysler Group have been improving, they have not yet caught up to the Asian competitors in making high quality cars.

Despite Lincoln's strong showing and two GM brands ranking among the top 10, domestic automakers did not perform as well in the survey, on average, as import brands.

However, domestic brands slightly outperformed import brands in J.D. Power's most recent Initial Quality survey. The Initial Quality survey measures the number of problems people have with vehicles in the first three months, and it tends to strongly predict performance in dependability surveys three years later.

That means the dependability gap between domestic and imported cars should close in the future.

The survey of 43,700 owners of 2008 model year vehicles was conducted in late 2010.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Re: J.D. Power most dependable brand: Lincoln

Link to original JD Power article:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...Study-Results/
(Note, the article is three pages long and gets into increasingly greater detail)

Also, dependability ratings by brand:
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ings-by-brand/
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM

I read these things and get the feeling that they're consistently wrong. I don't know if that's because I want/hope them to be wrong, or if my gut feeling is correct and there's some huge variance that's not accounted for that makes them wrong.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I read these things and get the feeling that they're consistently wrong. I don't know if that's because I want/hope them to be wrong, or if my gut feeling is correct and there's some huge variance that's not accounted for that makes them wrong.
They have Chrysler products where they belong...
Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Lincoln as a brand should be EXACTLY inline with Ford. In 2008, Lincoln had nothing unique to the brand, they're all poorly rebadged Ford vehicles. The fact that Lincoln scored higher is an indication of a problem. Futhermore, warranty costs for Lincoln haven't varied much over the last 10 years at my local dealer.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 PM

IIRC Buick took first place in this a year or two ago, right? Their aging models really helped in that regard.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Lincoln as a brand should be EXACTLY inline with Ford. In 2008, Lincoln had nothing unique to the brand, they're all poorly rebadged Ford vehicles. The fact that Lincoln scored higher is an indication of a problem. Futhermore, warranty costs for Lincoln haven't varied much over the last 10 years at my local dealer.
Costs per what?

Also, for example, are the MKZ and Fusion built in the same plant on the same line (or an identical line)? JD Power's VDS does include major mechanical malfunctions, but the majority of their complaints are minor somewhat superficial ones. So if the MKZ is better, even superficially (better quality interior parts, better paint, better sound deadening measures, etc) then it could reflect in these scores... though I wouldn't think the difference would be so dramatic.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM

My own theory

Luxury brands will always to better because they are not driven as hard or treated as poorly as "average Joe" brands. The 60 year old Lincoln owner is going to drive a lot easier than the 20 year old Kia owner. Plus higher end cars purchased by older people are more likely to be garaged. They might even keep up on the scheduled maintenance better.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM

I don't know what the deal is. All I know is that the new Lincolns look very sleek and sexy. They really made quite a turn around since the Lincoln LS days. While I still think the CTS looks better, the Lincoln MKZ is right up there. People don't seem to notice Lincoln much however. When I think Lincoln, I still think of the old beat up Towncar taxi cabs.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
IMO its because of fewer trucks....

Look at the GM Brands in order

1. Buick - highest ranking - no trucks
2. Caddy - 2nd - Only the Escalade truck ESV?
3. Chevrolet - truck heavy
4. GMC - in the bottom half...all trucks & SUVs
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM

That is exactly correct.

This is also why Toyota rates higher than Ford. Yes they sell trucks, however, they sell very few trucks that are used hard.............. as trucks, and they sell next to nothing to contractors and business's (that beat the hell out of them).
Old 03-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
My own theory

Luxury brands will always to better because they are not driven as hard or treated as poorly as "average Joe" brands. The 60 year old Lincoln owner is going to drive a lot easier than the 20 year old Kia owner. Plus higher end cars purchased by older people are more likely to be garaged. They might even keep up on the scheduled maintenance better.
This survey measures cars at the 3 year mark. Most modern cars don't have any real scheduled maintenance by that point anyway. Also I wouldn't expect 3 years of exposure to the outdoors to wear significantly on most modern cars.

I could also see the owners of luxury brand cars being more finicky about little things. "My HVAC fans don't sound right" or "this piece on the dash is discolored" are things I bet a Lincoln dealer would hear long before a Ford dealer.

Then again... Lincoln seems like it has stereotypically been more of an older person's brand. Maybe in general old people just don't really pay attention to or care about small things like that, even when driving luxury brand cars.

I dunno... just some counterpoints. I'm still not sure what to think.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Costs per what?
Just overall. I used to work at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer and am still good friends with most of the guys still there. I was told by the warranty clerk that the costs and ratios haven't changed much since I left years ago.

Also in my experience, I've found that Lincoln owners tend to notice lots of small problems (minor squeaks, rattles, odd drivability issues), moreso than Ford owners.

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
IMO its because of fewer trucks....
That's a good point. Although, alot of Ford's trucks are sold for business use and are soon modified for that purpose, which can void the warranty.