Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
The GT posted a good skidpad number, but trailed both the SS and the RS V6 in the lane change test.
To be honest, I don't put much stock in either skidpad or lane change numbers. I'd like to see GT and SS go head-to-head on a track, and compare the times. Same driver, same day.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM

I noticed that the Edmunds Mustang was 80 pounds heavier than the C&D Mustang, while the difference in Camaro weight was just 4 pounds. That may explain why the Mustang trailed the Camaro by a little more at Edmunds.

In the C&D test, you can see that after 60mph, the Camaro walks away from the Mustang. That's the point where power and aero become more important; weight less so; axle ratio pretty much not at all.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
To be honest, I don't put much stock in either skidpad or lane change numbers. I'd like to see GT and SS go head-to-head on a track, and compare the times. Same driver, same day.
Oh, they definitely aren't the full story. I want to see that, too. Maybe a couple of drivers, each taking a turn in both cars.

I mentioned in another thread (or higher up in this gargantuan one) that the Camaro enjoys a slightly better weight distribution. And its wider rears, combined with more weight over the rears, should help in putting power down coming out of corners and such.

Anyway, I'm excited for the Camaro droptop to come out. I would LOVE it if they find some way to keep the weight gain to a minimum. I think the specs that came out for the 2011 Mustang showed something like 3600 lbs for the GT coupe and 3725 or so for the GT droptop. I REALLY don't want the SS droptop to top 4000 lbs. It would be like a psychological dagger to the heart. If they could keep it in line with the coupe (if, for example, the structure is stout enough as to require almost no stiffening for convertible duty) around 3860-3900 lbs, well, that's still porky but not crazy compared to other droptops on the market right now (sadly). And the visibility problem / claustrophobic feeling should be greatly improved when the top is down.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Interesting results. I am surprised how consistent the Camaro's trap speeds are in these recent tests while the Mustang seams to be varying by several mph.

No doubt the Camaro is making good power, but the weight and gearing of the Mustang are doing a very good job of keeping up. But perhaps not slaughtering the Camaro afterall.......very interesting.

I hope a Mustang forum makes a "fastest list" like Camaro5 and we get to see what owners are running in these things stock and with mild mods that the average owner will do. That will really tell us whats going on.

Aside from that, I really want to see someone bring in a professional driver and put the two on a race track. I know it will be done and I can't wait to see how far or close the two are. Previously, the Camaro and Track Pack 10' GT were very close with the Camaro edging the Mustang out. I think the nod goes to the Mustang this time, but we will have to see.....
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Not sure if I've mentioned it here or not, but I think that the Mustang's factory rev limiter will hurt its performance, relative to its power-to-weight in comparison to Camaro (the GT has a very slight advantage....on paper). The reason is that max HP is made at 6600 rpm, with fuel cut-off right around 6900 rpm. For max acceleration, it needs to be shifted north of 7k. The LS3 in the SS is not as hamstrung, given the 700 or so rpm between max HP and its redline.

Idle ramblings...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I don't know...who paid to have the Mustang on all-season tires and the Camaro on summer tires?
I notived that too for the EIL test, I'm wondering if Edmunds asked for a comparably equipped car at about the same price?

Way to go Ford PR, send the tarted up C/S GT with all-season tires.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I notived that too for the EIL test, I'm wondering if Edmunds asked for a comparably equipped car at about the same price?

Way to go Ford PR, send the tarted up C/S GT with all-season tires.
I know I wouldn't be disappointed in either car if I were either a GM or Ford fan. It would all come down to personal preferences... at the end of the day.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
I know I wouldn't be disappointed in either car if I were either a GM or Ford fan. It would all come down to personal preferences... at the end of the day.
Tru'dat, both cars are very capable and down right fast, but dangit, this is for the glory of the intertwebs!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Tru'dat, both cars are very capable and down right fast, but dangit, this is for the glory of the intertwebs!

Well, I don't think opinions will change much on this site or the interwebs for that matter... Mustang was better than Camaro in the eyes of the main contributors here before... and the status quo remains, irrespective of what I might add.

Btw, do all season tires make much difference?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM

:Btw, do all season tires make much difference?
Yes, my previous car was an 07 GT Mustang and I did a suspension swap, the last bit involved switching from all season to summer tires and the difference was immediate and obvious with the summer tires producing much of the increase in overall grip (the suspension components really helped with high speed dynamics and changing the attitude of the car).

They aren't a cure-all, but they help out alot.

Last edited by bossco; 04-26-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM

I was able to dig up this little test regarding summer, all-season and winter tires...

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

An interesting test but still inconclusive when it comes to Mustang, which is basically a performance car, first and foremost. I'm not sure how compromised Mustang would be on its all-seasons when it came to the actual test results.

But it's good to bring up the discussion of tires instead of weight, for a change!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM

I was able to dig up this little test regarding summer, all-season and winter tires...

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

An interesting test but still inconclusive when it comes to Mustang, which is basically a performance car, first and foremost. I'm not sure how compromised Mustang would be on its all-seasons when it came to the actual test results.

But it's good to bring up the discussion of tires instead of weight, for a change!
Why in a dry pavement acceleration comparison of two tires would they leave traction control on?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

But in delivering this capability, all-season tires sacrifice a noticeable bit of dry and wet performance. Meanwhile, snow and summer tires provide clear benefits to those who can use them. In this particular test, at least, all-season tires live up to the old figure of speech our old dad used to trot out on occasion: "jack of all trades, master of none."
This is a pretty accurate assessment from the EIL comparo.

Getting back to the Mustang vs. Camaro comparo I guess the shiny spot for the Mustang at least is its a bit more representative of what people will run into in the [trite phrase alert ---> real-world <--- trite phrase alert]. Perhaps Edmunds should have asked for a Mustang with the standard final drive as well? It might have been a more interesting test.

Last edited by bossco; 04-27-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Not sure if I've mentioned it here or not, but I think that the Mustang's factory rev limiter will hurt its performance, relative to its power-to-weight in comparison to Camaro (the GT has a very slight advantage....on paper). The reason is that max HP is made at 6600 rpm, with fuel cut-off right around 6900 rpm. For max acceleration, it needs to be shifted north of 7k. The LS3 in the SS is not as hamstrung, given the 700 or so rpm between max HP and its redline.

Idle ramblings...
and on top of that, Edmunds has the "indicated RPM limit" listed at 6750rpm which is probably where they were shifting at, which shortchanges the 5.0 big time in this test.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Evolution Performance say they took delivery of a loaded GT premium with brembo brake package and 3.73 gear. Said they drove it 70 miles to the track and ran 13.20 @ 110mph with bad wheel hop and horrible track prep.

They said they were supposed to be dynoing the car after the track but have not come back to post the dyno numbers.

Trying to get them to post the timeslip or at least the 60ft on the run.

Quick Reply: It's Official: 2011 Ford Mustang GT has 5.0-liter V8