Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Impala Owners Suing GM Over Defect Causing Tires To Wear Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Impala Owners Suing GM Over Defect Causing Tires To Wear Out

A class-action suit has been filed against General Motors Co., complaining that GM fixed rear-end problems on police versions of 2007-08 Impalas, but not those owned by some 400,000 other drivers.

The problem, according to the lawsuit filed in federal court in Detroit, causes owners to burn through rear tires.

The suit was brought on behalf of a Pennsylvania woman and wants GM to replace potentially faulty rear suspension rods. The Detroit-based automaker sold 423,000 Impalas over the two-year period.

The suit — if successful — could cost GM millions of dollars in replaced tires and parts. It's the latest challenge by owners to automakers who limit the scope of auto recalls or service campaigns. It's also sparked dozens of angry complaints from owners.

Americans spend about $20 billion annually on about 200 million replacement tires, according to a 2006 government report. Alignments and other related issues add billions in annual repair costs to the nation's more than 250 million vehicles on the roads.

The only owner currently named in the suit, Donna Trusky, of Blakely, Pa., bought a new Chevrolet Impala in February 2008 and said the tires wore out within 6,000 miles. Her GM dealer replaced the tires and provided an alignment, but didn't disclose the spindle rod issue, she said. According to the suit, GM issued a service bulletin in 2008 for police versions of the Impala.

Last November, Trusky couldn't pass an annual inspection without getting another set of rear tires — even though the vehicle had fewer than 25,000 miles.

"Despite having knowledge of this premature wear problem, (GM) has not recalled the subject cars, which has required class members to pay the cost of fixing the defective spindle rods as well as for replacement tires and realignment," alleges the lawsuit, filed last week.

In its July 2008 bulletin, GM told its dealers to replace the rods, align the rear wheels and, if necessary, replace the rear tires. Police agencies that had replaced rear tires themselves could seek reimbursement for a year.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110705/...#ixzz1RXBDAuEp

I personally liked this quote: "the complainant wrote in August 2010. "Was completely satisfied with my Pontiacs."
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Re: Impala Owners Suing GM Over Defect Causing Tires To Wear Out

As a person who owned at least 5 Fox Mustangs, I can hold my own in any conversation about premature tire wear (ask anyone who had the 5.0s with the 225s about uneven front tire wear!).

Does that mean I get to sue Ford??

I think I still have all my 10 to 20 year old reciepts.