Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

If you have not driven a G8....do so...now...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM

Much hay being made on the G8's interior.

I am a big fan of the G8 (actually, the Commodore it's based on), but when I first wrote about the new Commodore, I even mentioned that the interior was a bit disappointing next to the GTO. I found the interior materials cheaper, I found the seats a bit less comfortable, and the whole interior (unlike the GTO) seemed like General Motors North America took complete control of the interior sourcing and materials. Sure it's better than what we normally have from GM here, but it was certainly a step backwards for Holden.

Comparing the G8 interior to what Cadillac's doing with the new/current CTS is crazy. The new Cadillac interiors are extremely good in quality, if not exactly comfort. The G8's interior is comfortable, and about where Ford is in interior quality.... pre 2010 Mustang, Fusion, & Taurus.

Holden's Australian made cars have a long history and links with Opel of germany, and therefore, it has alot of German feel to the interior and parts (until GM-NA got ahold of Holden and wiped out their autonomy).

When we are talking about the G8's interior, keep in mind 2 things:

1. As mentioned, all those complex expensive chassis components have to make up the cost somewhere. Interior is where it makes the least impact on performance abilities.

2. We are talking about a $27K-$31K sedan, not a $40K+ luxury sports sedan either imported or domestic.

I think the Dodge Charger is one of the most aggresive looking sedans on the planet. I also think the interior is very solid, though completely devoid of personality from the back seat, and a bit too businesslike up fromt (save the Daytona). I driven both the Hemi Charger (Daytona) and the G8 GT (Holden Calais 6 liter). The Charger felt too much like driving a chopped small truck. While the VE sedan felt like it wanted to play, and encouraged you to do so, the Charger made you feel like it was capable of turning over or at the least, discouraged you from pushing it too hard (although it's about as capable...in R&T package form...as the G8 is).

Like it or not, the G8 GT is the only sedan on the planet with such a high level of performance and handling at it's price. Chrysler charges extra for that type of handling, but because if the chopped truck feel, you still aren't likely to feel as comfortable pushing it to it's limits.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 AM

Interior layout and "quality" are in the eye of the beholder. Much of it comes down to personal taste.

I think the G8 interior doesn't photograph well and in person the impression is a much better one than pix give.

I have a pal that works for Ferrari USA who I met through my racing connections. I know the manager of Risi Competition and that's somewhat of an "in".

The Ferrari 430 Scuderia has my kind of interior. Metal floors and all...
I shot a few pix at the LA unveil from inside the Scuderia. It appeals to me more than Audi-esque stuff:
A close look will show the shift lights which are integrated into the upper hoop in the steering wheel.

Like I said, it's all in what you like. I think the G8 is one heck of a great deal and a great car to drive!

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-01-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 AM

The GT not having a 6 speed makes it a non-starter for me. Unfortunately a GXP is out of my price range I do still need to drive one though.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 AM

I'd like to play with a G8 and A6. I bet a nice yank/vig converter with a 'tight' 3600 stall speed would make the car an ABSOLUTE blast to drive. People don't give automatics enough credit when the factory sends them with a crutch to start with. (1,800 stall speed = )
Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Even though some cars don't photograph well: how about some comparison shots of some cars mentioned here?

G8 GT

Charger RT

Audi A6

BMW 5 series

BMW 3 series

Infiniti G37

Merceded Benz C class

Ford Falcon
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
The GT not having a 6 speed makes it a non-starter for me. Unfortunately a GXP is out of my price range I do still need to drive one though.
I feel the same way, although I would take a GT since the GXP is quite a bit more expensive. Is there any reason why GMNA decided to limit the manual to the GXP? Even if sales were marginal it would still be nice to have the choice - since it's there for the Commodore anyway and likely wouldn't cost any more to bring it over here.

I also think the red inserts from the sport package make the G8 interior look less drab or is that business-like(?).

As far as the comparison pics go, the G8 looks contemporary, maybe not fantastic, but certainly not horrible either - it looks much better than my GP. IMO, the only one that looks "sumptuous" is the Audi - this can be attributable to lightning as much as anything though since it's probably a safe bet that they were all photographed under different conditions/settings. The head on shot of the Infiniti interior looks like the dash came out of a truck - I don't know why, but that's the first thing that popped into my head. BMW's dual cowl dash just mystifies me - I don't like it at all but I liked their interiors pre-idrive.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
I'd like to play with a G8 and A6. I bet a nice yank/vig converter with a 'tight' 3600 stall speed would make the car an ABSOLUTE blast to drive. People don't give automatics enough credit when the factory sends them with a crutch to start with. (1,800 stall speed = )
G8s respond quite well to mods. Getting rid of torque management really improves the A6's shift behaviour. A 91 octane tune will get you pretty close to 400 hp at the crank. And replacing the ultramild DOD cam with a non-DOD cam will also help bring the V8 to life.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by R377
G8s respond quite well to mods. Getting rid of torque management really improves the A6's shift behaviour. A 91 octane tune will get you pretty close to 400 hp at the crank. And replacing the ultramild DOD cam with a non-DOD cam will also help bring the V8 to life.
Yeah, TM sucks; although it is there for a reason!

Made a noticable difference in my Z28 when I had it removed from my 4L60e. Although, with the parts going in now it's probably on borrowed time.

I wonder how the A6 will hold up to more power and TM removed...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM

Wow I never noticed how much the 3 Series interior looks like the Impala.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Chrysler puts zero design thought into their car interiors.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Chrysler puts zero design thought into their car interiors.
The Charger has a well built interior with decent materials...the problem is the design looks like it was pulled from a dumptruck. The steering wheel is the worst "looking" I have ever seen in a car with performance intentions.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM

FWIW, if you are a current GM owner and a member of a credit union you can get GMS pricing plus $2,500 in rebates on a 2009 G8 GT. I found a pacific slate 2009 G8 GT (premium and sport packages) with a GMS price of $30,500, then subtract the $2,500 and you are down to $28,000 without even having to haggle.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
The Charger has a well built interior with decent materials
Put down the crack pipe mmmkay.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
The LX cars were probably the best interiors to come out of Chrysler ever.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
I have spent more time in a Charger than most here. There is nothing wrong with the materials in the Charger..it is just an ugly design. I am talking about an 08 Charger..which does have a different interior than the older ones.

Quick Reply: If you have not driven a G8....do so...now...