Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

If you have not driven a G8....do so...now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
A RWD CTS with the 361 hp G8 motor and a 6-speed stick would just about be the perfect daily driver.
I agree, that would be the perfect package.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM

I plan on driving one as an option to replace my 335i at lease end but I have to admit that I wasn't very impressed with the interior when I sat in one at the auto show. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good, either. The layout and materials just didn't impress me.

The fact that you called the IP comparable to Audi unfortunately makes me question the potential for bias or differing opinions contained in the rest of the review (which goes over areas of the car I'm not familiar with).

How is the ride and NVH compared to the GTO? I wasn't very impressed by the GTO in terms of day to day livability in the way it drove... it was just too unrefined. Yes I realize it was still worlds better than the Camaro for example, but I'm looking for something that's comfortable, not just "not too rough". My 335i is already too stiff riding for me, though the run flats have a whole lot to do with that.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
I also drove a CTS at Indy. I really liked that car except for the power. It felt weak, but it was an AWD with the slushbox.
Really? hmm...
When I drove it, it honestly felt nearly as engaging as the G8. The fun-factor was about the same, imo.(maybe it was the AWD around the corners...) BUT, it did feel heavier than the G8.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I plan on driving one as an option to replace my 335i at lease end but I have to admit that I wasn't very impressed with the interior when I sat in one at the auto show. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good, either. The layout and materials just didn't impress me.

The fact that you called the IP comparable to Audi unfortunately makes me question the potential for bias or differing opinions contained in the rest of the review (which goes over areas of the car I'm not familiar with).

How is the ride and NVH compared to the GTO? I wasn't very impressed by the GTO in terms of day to day livability in the way it drove... it was just too unrefined. Yes I realize it was still worlds better than the Camaro for example, but I'm looking for something that's comfortable, not just "not too rough". My 335i is already too stiff riding for me, though the run flats have a whole lot to do with that.

If I can remember correctly, the ride was more compliant than the 335i.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
If I can remember correctly, the ride was more compliant than the 335i.
Did you drive a GT or V6? That wouldn't surprise me. Does the G8 ride on run flats? If not then there's easy room for improvement on the 335i but not so on the G8.

Even still, the 335i is far from the sort of ride that I want my next car to have, RFTs or not.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Did you drive a GT or V6? That wouldn't surprise me. Does the G8 ride on run flats? If not then there's easy room for improvement on the 335i but not so on the G8.

Even still, the 335i is far from the sort of ride that I want my next car to have, RFTs or not.

The GT. Honestly, I can't remember what tires it had - whatever comes on the GT.

The G8 GT is a much larger car though. So although it handles well, it won't be as tossable as the 335i.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

The GT. Honestly, I can't remember what tires it had - whatever comes on the GT.

The G8 GT is a much larger car though. So although it handles well, it won't be as tossable as the 335i.
I haven't driven a 335i but i test drove the G8 GT last monday. I was REALLY impressed and this is coming from a guy that had a Z06 as a daily driver. It does have runflats from what i recall. 95% sure.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

There is nothing bia's..Holden gets their interior bits from German suppliers and there are some bits you can tell they are pulling from the same place as Audi. What's funny is the G8's interior looks cheaper in pictures than in person?

Here is an A5...look at the center DIC/gauges, and button/volume control on the wheel.

Now look at the G8's IP. Even though they may not be as up to snuff as the Audi bits they definatly are sourced from the same place.

Last edited by formula79; 01-30-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 AM

My car has the summer 19" tires and they are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A..so no..they are not run flats.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by formula79
Even though they may not be as up to snuff as the Audi bits they definatly are sourced from the same place.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the interior parts for the G8 and the A5 come from the same supplier?

Even if that's true, what's the relevance?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Really? hmm...
When I drove it, it honestly felt nearly as engaging as the G8. The fun-factor was about the same, imo.(maybe it was the AWD around the corners...) BUT, it did feel heavier than the G8.
To be clear, I didn't get much "cornering" time in either car.

At Indy, you left a small parking lot, entered a small portion of the road course (like, 3 turns). In this little bit of track, both cars felt good, but you really didn't have any speed in these turns. Then you drove on access roads until you came back to the road course (the straight-away portion).

They have you wait a bit there, then turn onto the straight and wait some more (until the car ahead cleared the track). It's just like planes waiting in line while taxi-ing and taking off.

When the rep gave you the go ahead, you could floor it. They wanted you to let off at the 3rd cone, which wasn't very far. I held the CTS & the G8 to the wood until the foot bridge. Those at Indy know what I'm talking about.

The CTS just didn't have any oomph. It felt like it was struggling for air. I was shocked and disappointed. I learned later from elieSS that the CTS was an AWD car and that may have been why the car seemed sluggish.

The G8 on the other hand burst out of the gate and that V-8 pulled hard to red-line in every gear (I made the shift to 4th, BTW). The engine screamed and that thing pulled like a freight train. I was really impressed with the engine in the G8.

But I like the interior of the CTS better. That's why I say if they took the G8 motor, put it into a RWD CTS, and add the M6, that would be about perfect.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
My car has the summer 19" tires and they are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A..so no..they are not run flats.
Yep...no run flats for the G8. Congrats on the new car. The L76 responds well to mods too if that's in your future. Try www.g8board.com as a good place for info.

-Mike
Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM

What I am saying is...most GM cars have the same switch gear..which while greatly improved...is still is very cookie cutter. For instance the Malibu has switch gear pulled right from the GMT-900's. The G8 on the other hand uses German sourced interior bits...which while not $60K Audi quality are similar and give the car a nice Euro feel very different from most GM interiors. When I sat in the car..the first thing I thought was VW/Audi because of the switchgear. I mean it really is likely the switchgear they use in the base German stuff that never makes it here like the Audi taxis and police cars.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the interior parts for the G8 and the A5 come from the same supplier?

Even if that's true, what's the relevance?

Last edited by formula79; 01-30-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
Where are the cupholders in the G8?

I haven't gotten behind the wheel of one because I know I'd leave the dealership with it.
They are behind the shifter..and actually hold something beyond a can of soda or a medium drink (unlike the GTO).

Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The run flats on the 335i don't make as much of a difference on ride quality as you think.

I have regular tires that I run for winter tires here and they ride almost the same as the ones that come on it stock. Almost no difference at all.

Quick Reply: If you have not driven a G8....do so...now...