Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

If/when we get a supercharged Solstice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:49 PM

If/when we get a supercharged Solstice

...will it be intercooled? God, please say yes
Old 02-10-2004, 08:49 PM

I'd rather have a intercooled TURBO Solstice, but that's just me
Old 02-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Agreed! I just recall information that had been posted that if it were to get forced induction, it would be SC'd.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM

I'd imagine that the GXP Solstice will share the 2.0L supercharged four from the Ion Red Line. I wish they would use the 2.0L turbo from Saab though. It'd be nice to have some diversity in the GM stable.

BTW, does anyone know if the Ion Red Line is intercooled? I couldn't find anything that said it was.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:34 AM
slt

Originally posted by newby
I'd rather have a intercooled TURBO Solstice, but that's just me
Amen. It would make huge waves in the tuner market. Stock 250hp 2.2l turbo with the potential to make a reliable, daily drivable 350hp with minor mods. If the CTS diff can handle 400hp in the V and GM puts a good transmission on it as well.......
Old 02-11-2004, 10:30 AM

another vote for turbo...I'm starting to get interested in the solstice, but i'm not liking that front end
Old 02-11-2004, 10:33 AM

Saturn Ion has a supercharged & intercooled engine, so it's safe to say Solstice will as well.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroo...nav=270&page=1
Old 02-11-2004, 10:44 AM
slt

Originally posted by guionM
Saturn Ion has a supercharged & intercooled engine, so it's safe to say Solstice will as well.
IMHO, thats a bad move by GM.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 PM

GM hasn't been interested in turbos since the late 80's. Apparently, according to RP, GM's "market research" dictates that Americans hate turbo lag and want the instant mash-the-gas-and-go feel that a supercharger provides. I happen to disagree with this research (after all, market research numbers only reflect the small group you talk to) and there's no question that turbos are the glamour power adder today. I'd love to see turbos used on GM 4 cylinders (where it won't rob power to make power) and leave the blowers to the larger 6's (and 8's )
Old 02-11-2004, 01:16 PM

RP told me the exact same thing a year ago...still, i was hoping things could change (maybe 'update' the market research?)
Old 02-11-2004, 01:36 PM

Someone needs to tell Dodge that Americans would rather the SRT-4 be supercharged...

I think there is a place in GM's verious 4 cylinder performance cars for supercharging and turbocharging. Imagine what the 2.4L 170hp Ecotec could do with a turbo. With the torque it makes N/A, lag wouldn't be much of an issue.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:43 PM
gab

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
GM hasn't been interested in turbos since the late 80's. Apparently, according to RP, GM's "market research" dictates that Americans hate turbo lag and want the instant mash-the-gas-and-go feel that a supercharger provides. I happen to disagree with this research (after all, market research numbers only reflect the small group you talk to) and there's no question that turbos are the glamour power adder today. I'd love to see turbos used on GM 4 cylinders (where it won't rob power to make power) and leave the blowers to the larger 6's (and 8's )
on one of the car channels, they showed the Porsche GT2 with 2 turbos to overcome turbo-lag. The turbos were smaller in capacity to if they had deployed the vehicle with a single Turbo. One Turbo comes in at lower rpms and the other after.

maybe a moot point since the cost may be too much for a vehicle like the Solstice that needs to stay at the $20K mark.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
slt

Originally posted by gab
on one of the car channels, they showed the Porsche GT2 with 2 turbos to overcome turbo-lag. The turbos were smaller in capacity to if they had deployed the vehicle with a single Turbo. One Turbo comes in at lower rpms and the other after.

maybe a moot point since the cost may be too much for a vehicle like the Solstice that needs to stay at the $20K mark.
Modern turbos like Mitsubishi's twin scroll and Garretts new disco potato have minimal lag with the ability to support 300-350hp, kiss principle in effect.

People like off the line torque for stop light commuting(think Malibu)

People like mid and upper range power for sporty/track driving(think Solstice)
Old 02-11-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by slt
Modern turbos like Mitsubishi's twin scroll and Garretts new disco potato have minimal lag with the ability to support 300-350hp, kiss principle in effect.

People like off the line torque for stop light commuting(think Malibu)

People like mid and upper range power for sporty/track driving(think Solstice)
Yah, there are many ways to combat turbo lag. The old FC RX7 cars originally had a twin-scroll system on the turbo models to improve low-end, and I know there's many other "tricks" that aren't too complicated that help.

I think that tuners and younger (think 20s) buyers would prefer a turbo, myself included. True, the instant power of a supercharger is cool, but the feeling of the turbo boosting is pretty dang fun too as it pushes you farther and farther back into the seat.

Also, good point on the SRT-4. Those things are selling like crazy from what I hear.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:34 PM

the thing with the turbos is, there isn't a cheap way to get more power out of them once they're on the engine. with a S/C all you have to do is a pully swap to eek out some extra power. that's what, $5? $10?

or maybe i don't know enough about turbos, so somebody can clue me in.

Quick Reply: If/when we get a supercharged Solstice