Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

I want to see a GM Exotic

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 AM

I want to see a GM Exotic

It would be nice to see GM bring out an Exotic when they get out from all the bankruptcy talk. Sure, the Corvette is a marvellous piece of work, and can whoop a lot of "supercars" out there.. but I'd like to see GM build an all-out exotic. Like the Ford GT, Carrera GT, Lambo's..

The exotic style, and maybe rear-engine, super or turbo charged V8, DOHC.. Something with a big presence like the Ford GT has. The Z06 and GT are pretty close, but the GT just looks so much meaner and commands more attention.

Just so GM can say they've done it.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:09 AM

Re: I want to see a GM Exotic

Cadillac Cien is still probably the single best concept car of all time!

Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Man wtf that thing is crazy.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-Cad...en-Concept.htm

I'm not much into cadillac though.. and that thing just SCREAMS Cadillac.

DoD.. V12 turns into a V6.. pretty good.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:01 AM

I like exotics as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see GM put that money into improving its mass production cars. A Super Vette beyond Z06 would seem more feasible if they did build something over-the-top.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jrp4uc
I like exotics as much as the next guy, but I'd rather see GM put that money into improving its mass production cars. A Super Vette beyond Z06 would seem more feasible if they did build something over-the-top.
I'd rather see the money go into more sub $30K performance cars.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:44 AM

A Cein would be nice in a few years. But I wouldn't want a crazy price--double a Z06, maybe a but more. And a big V12

If you want to see the car in action, rent aa movie called, The Island
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 AM

Honestly, in my opinion, if GM wants to make an insane splash in the ultra exotic/performance segment, GM would hunker down and make a Le Mans LMP1 car that will knock off Audi's R car's domination. IMO, that would make an insane upset that will ripple through the car community globally. Can you imaigne how angry the import fans, especialy the German's would be? IMO, it would be like Toyota entering Nascar and dominating the top spots after a shakedown season or two, except 1000x bigger than that.

Then ride that wave of media coverage and boast to release an exotic car thats directly based off the tech and knowledge gained from the LMP1 team.

But I doubt GM has the resources right now to make that happen. At least GM has the Corvette in GT1 which totally rocks!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ken S
Honestly, in my opinion, if GM wants to make an insane splash in the ultra exotic/performance segment, GM would hunker down and make a Le Mans LMP1 car that will knock off Audi's R car's domination.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
Yea I know about that car, but they didn't come close to winning, because GM seriously underestimated the leve of effort necessary. Thats why they pulled out.

Therefore, if they want to go back into the fray, they gotta really pour lots of effort into it..

Reason why I say this, is because if GM put out an exotic, I guarantee the first the alot of people are going to say are, "GM putting out an exotic? Please, it must be POS since they don't have any experience".. If GM had the LMP1 wins, that argument would be invalid, because GM would prove both it had the knowhow, and the "racing pedigree" for one. Only thing more arguablly exotic than LMP1 is F1... and I'm not even sure of that..
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 PM

the last race it did they got a 2nd so it was getting better. it's a shame GM didn't continue as these are what got me into caddys in the first place.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Took the picture myself at a GM facilty.

If you have seen the picture somewhere else, HUSH! Lets see who can guess what it is and where I saw it.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 PM

I just wanted to throw in there that I rented the movie "The Island" because of the Cien in it and it was decently cool but I was really hoping the special features would discuss how they came about getting there hands on one. I wonder if they got it from GM or if they commissioned someone to build one. I even checked the directors comments during the Cien scenes but all he talks about is how he feels the movie wasn't really a failure. Missed opportunity in my mind. I would have bought it if it talked more about the car. Also the Wasps in the movie were cool.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM

I also wanted to throw in there that all of the big three have built there own supercars. Ford was the first to do it in 1995 with the GT90. Then GM with the Cien and then Chrysler with the ME412.

A little comparison.
1995 Ford GT90
(Quad?) turbo V12 720hp

2002 Caddilac Cien
V12 750hp

2004 Chrysler ME412
Quad turbo V12 850hp

All have a similair shape as well check them out at
http://www.supercars.net/Comp?source...t=695-2731-274
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Cadillac Cien is still probably the single best concept car of all time!

looks like an NSX with a bit of lambo thrown in for color, definantly looks bad *** though.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:44 PM

Ouch!

Quick Reply: I want to see a GM Exotic