Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hyundai, Kia Busted for Overstating Fuel Economy Claims after EPA Probe

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Angry Hyundai, Kia Busted for Overstating Fuel Economy Claims after EPA Probe

Seriously? They should be ashamed. I really hope the public is made aware of this.

DailyTech - Hyundai, Kia Busted for Overstating Fuel Economy Claims after EPA Probe

Millions to be paid out to owners over misleading claims

Back in December of 2011, Consumer Watchdog called on the EPA to investigate Hyundai over its fuel economy claims. According to Consumer Watchdog, Hyundai claimed that its Elantra was good for 29 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on highway. The problem the organization had with the claims is that it received a higher than usual number of complaints that real-world mileage was in the mid-20 mpg range.

The EPA did investigate Hyundai for misleading mileage claims as well as Kia, and changes in fuel economy estimates are coming as a result of the investigation. Both Kia and Hyundai will be lowering the fuel economy estimates on the majority of their 2012 to 2013 models after EPA testing discovered discrepancies between its data and the company's data.

Hyundai and Kia admitted to overstating the estimated fuel economy on window stickers of about 900,000 vehicles sold since late 2010. The two automakers will reportedly spend millions of dollars to compensate owners for faulty claims of economy.

Hyundai will also have to retract its widely used claim that it leads the industry with four vehicle models able to get 40 mpg on the highway. That statement will be retracted because estimated highway economy on the 2013 Accent, Veloster, and Elantra are being reduced to below 40 mpg.

Some of the biggest losers include the Hyundai Accent and the all-new, redesigned 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. The Accent saw its 30/40/33 (city/highway/combined) rating drop to 28/37/31. The Santa Fe Sport (2WD) saw a huge drop in its highway rating, going from 21/31/25 (city/highway/combined) to 20/27/23.

Many of the mileage adjustments take Hyundai models from being class leaders to either middle-of-the-pack or lower.

On the Kia side of things, the Soul took the biggest hit as it saw its highway numbers drop by 6 mpg (35 mpg highway to 29 mpg highway).

Overstating fuel efficiency is a significant blunder by the two car companies because gas prices are up, and many people are shopping based on fuel economy claims by the manufacturer. The EPA notes that window sticker values have previously been reduced on only two vehicles sense 2000, so that makes Hyundai’s folly even more egregious.

"Given the importance of fuel efficiency to all of us, we're extremely sorry about these errors," said Hyundai Motor America President and CEO John Krafcik. "We're going to make this right."

Krafcik blamed the inaccurate fuel efficiency claims on "procedural errors" in the fuel-economy testing methodology the company used. Hyundai-Kia's combined fleetwide fuel economy average declined from 27 MPG to 26 mpg for the 2012 model year working out to about a 3% reduction.

Krafcik added, "We've identified the source of the discrepancies between our prior testing method and the EPA's recommended approach."

Sources: Detroit News, Hyundai, Kia
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
slt

Re: Hyundai, Kia Busted for Overstating Fuel Economy Claims after EPA Probe

I've never had any problem hitting my mpg rating in my Elantra I'll take the free debit card though
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by slt
I've never had any problem hitting my mpg rating in my Elantra I'll take the free debit card though
Consider yourself the exception. Many people are not even coming close to the MPG ratings for the Elantra. If you look at fuelly, the avg MPG is 30 mpg. Consider the city rating is 29 mpg, 30 mpg isn't a good number.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Apparently they haven't notified their dealers yet... just passed a Hyundai dealership this morning with a huge "40 MPG" banner next to a new Elantra
Old 11-03-2012, 03:36 PM

It was bound to happen. The car companies are the ones who test for the numbers these days right? Then send the results to the EPA? I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often if that's the case, I still think some of GM's cars have pushed the EPA test figures.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM
slt

Originally Posted by Plague
Consider yourself the exception. Many people are not even coming close to the MPG ratings for the Elantra. If you look at fuelly, the avg MPG is 30 mpg. Consider the city rating is 29 mpg, 30 mpg isn't a good number.
Most people over at the Hyundai forums get the rated mpg. I myself almost always average 34mpg in combined driving. I just drove 5 hours home today and @ 80mph I ended up at 38mpg. I can easily get over 40mpg if I keep around 60mph. Here's a pic I took over the summer after a 45 minute drive home through light traffic that kept my speed down

Name:  uAZ0n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  20.9 KB

One thing I see a lot, though, is a misunderstanding of what running the a/c does to these little cars. Most don't realize the compressor runs even during the winter when you drive around with the defroster on. When you're only packing 1.8L, that puts a decent dent in your mileage.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by slt
Most people over at the Hyundai forums get the rated mpg. I myself almost always average 34mpg in combined driving. I just drove 5 hours home today and @ 80mph I ended up at 38mpg. I can easily get over 40mpg if I keep around 60mph. Here's a pic I took over the summer after a 45 minute drive home through light traffic that kept my speed down

One thing I see a lot, though, is a misunderstanding of what running the a/c does to these little cars. Most don't realize the compressor runs even during the winter when you drive around with the defroster on. When you're only packing 1.8L, that puts a decent dent in your mileage.
EPA tests take into account A/C usage on these vehicles. In 2008, it was changed to put more emphasis on this and higher highway speeds.

For the people who are getting advertised or better MPG, good for them. Still doesn't change what many people are reporting on websites that track MPG of cars. I can take a picture of my Enclave going down hill and resetting the MPG average and have it show well over 40 MPG. Doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM

On the subject I was a bit skeptical about the claimed 31mpg on my Dodge Charger, I've been averaging about 23 in the city with it which is great but hadn't had a chance to do a real hwy test until a week or so ago, once I got out of the hillcountry and on to I-95 where it is relatively flat I was amazed I was getting between 32 and 34mpg at 78mph, even going around 90mph for bits here and there when there was a big convoy I still averaged about 29mpg. Loving this 8 speed auto!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
On the subject I was a bit skeptical about the claimed 31mpg on my Dodge Charger, I've been averaging about 23 in the city with it which is great but hadn't had a chance to do a real hwy test until a week or so ago, once I got out of the hillcountry and on to I-95 where it is relatively flat I was amazed I was getting between 32 and 34mpg at 78mph, even going around 90mph for bits here and there when there was a big convoy I still averaged about 29mpg. Loving this 8 speed auto!
Is that according to the overly optimistic on-board computer, or did you do the fill-up test?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
Is that according to the overly optimistic on-board computer, or did you do the fill-up test?
Fill ups I don't follow the mpg chart. When I did follow the chart it was maybe 1-2 mpg off real world.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM

Doesn't surprise me one bit...from the two Korean cars I have driven here they are terrible with gas for how small they are. I had the Avante M16 this weekend which is the Elantra in the US. It was very nice though. Heated seats which was great!

Last edited by CCoop8830; 11-07-2012 at 07:43 AM.