Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hypothetical...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
West South Central Moderator

I'd say that trucks have become today's hot rods. They are relatively cheap and very easy to fix up.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 PM

I'd say that Alpha is the answer.

Imagine the Cobalt SS/TC engine in a well-balanced, attractive, small RWD coupe. Especially one engineered to handle more potent powerplant configurations as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 PM

^Modern Nova?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Something very much like it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
There are those who believe our beloved V8s are 'dinosaurs'. You can't change their mindset... they won't ever consider driving one no matter how good we V8 owners know they are.

I probably would never own a ricer myself... so maybe I'm the same, just older.
There are youngers guys like that, but in my experiences they are few and far between. The anti-v8 feelings the ricer crowd is supposed to feel gets greatly exaggerated. Young guys aren't buying v8s because they hate them, they aren't buying them because they can't afford them. As it was mentioned, the ricer movement started because young guys started taking their hand-me-down pieces of crap and started modifying them.

I don't think the Cobalt is the answer to the OP's question. Most people I went to school with didn't seem to give it much credit, especially compared to the SRT-4. I don't know why it doesn't but my experiences insist to me that it doesn't. I think for a cheap hotrod a young guy would possibly buy, the answer lies in some variant of the Solstice, as mentioned. If it were cheap enough, and a hard top, it would be something GM offers that nobody else really has on the market right now.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM

It's called a Camaro Z/28. GM built in 2002, and it's perfect car for kids to hotrod, given that it's a pretty good deal to get in the V8 game.

I bet in three or four years the 2004-2007 GTO will also find its way into the hands of the younger set.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:03 PM

You need to first look into what you mean by "hot rod".

Hot Rod, to me, is usually a mishmash of parts that have been taken from other cars, put together for a fast car, and done on the cheap. Its usually not something you can buy from the dealer, but something that you got from a used lot, or something you pulled out of the junkyard in roller form.

Now, what I think you are refering too is a modern day, factory built, Muscle car or personal performance car. Buying a new car defeats several purposes. Its usually much more expensive then getting a used car, its modability isnt that great since its new, and not everyone wants to drop more money into a new car that they just bought and void the warranty, which is one of the reasons people buy new cars.

What more people in that range want (since Im one of them) is a car thats already been out. A car that has a heavy aftermarket already built for it due to the demand of the car.
Cars like this include
Camaro/Firebird
Impala SS/Caprice
Mustang
W bodies with SC motor
Civic and sister cars
VW 1.8T cars
Big 3 trucks

Newwer additions are the GTO, Cobalt SS, SRT4, Sentra, 240/300/350Z, and some others as price comes down. Even C4 Vettes are now in the price range for 18-25 kids with not a ton of money, but they arre eqiuped with either cheap to build LT1s or cheaper to build L98's.

Now, if GM were to build a new generation of performance machines for the 18-25 crowd, I think they are doing it now. Sky and Solstice Turbo cars, Turbo Cobalt and HHR, Camaro. You could look to the 303hp V8 W bodies as well, especially the GXP. The Ecotec motor is quickly becoming GM's new SBC as the engine is starting to dominate sport compact competitions. These are fast cars that people of my generation can pick up.

GM is doing its part to get the new age enthuisats looking into GM dealers.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Hell, this guy is right. I dream of a mid engine Aveo with the 2.0L Ecotec S/C. Sleeper like all hell!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaminoLS6
I'd say that Alpha is the answer.

Imagine the Cobalt SS/TC engine in a well-balanced, attractive, small RWD coupe. Especially one engineered to handle more potent powerplant configurations as well.
This is exactly what I want and I've been saying it for years.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
cobalt SS T/C.
Fixed that for you.