Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hummer H1 is dead!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Exclamation Hummer H1 is dead!

GM just announced that they will discontinue production next month (on CNN).

I know that's going to change alot of everyone's new vehicle buying plans.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Re: Hummer H1 is dead!

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450123

Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 PM

So they bought out the hummer brand name and then killed the one actual REAL off-road hummer, only to be survived by a bunch of rebadged re-skinned GMT-chassis trucks?

Lame.

That'd be like them buying out Saab and then slowly but surely erasing the unique underpinnings of their cars only to make them based on things like the trail blazer, malibu, and... oh, wait... they already did.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by WJH'sFormula
Uh.................... nevermind!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Threxx
So they bought out the hummer brand name and then killed the one actual REAL off-road hummer, only to be survived by a bunch of rebadged re-skinned GMT-chassis trucks?

Lame.

That'd be like them buying out Saab and then slowly but surely erasing the unique underpinnings of their cars only to make them based on things like the trail blazer, malibu, and... oh, wait... they already did.
well.....while nothing out there will have the capability of the H1 due to the way it's designed (ever sit in one? incredibly uncomfortable!) .......don't discount the off-road capability of the H2 and H3 -- and get this: the H3 is actually more off-road capable than the H2.

See....there's this off-road proving ground in Indiana? With every 4wd known to man? Don't be fooled by the 'baby Hummer!''

(been there, done that)
Old 05-12-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
well.....while nothing out there will have the capability of the H1 due to the way it's designed (ever sit in one? incredibly uncomfortable!) .......don't discount the off-road capability of the H2 and H3 -- and get this: the H3 is actually more off-road capable than the H2.

See....there's this off-road proving ground in Indiana? With every 4wd known to man? Don't be fooled by the 'baby Hummer!''

(been there, done that)
Yeah, I drove an H1 - ridiculously wide, very uncomfortable, extremely slow, but a badass off-roader and it single handedly made hummer a household name.

I'm not saying the H2 and H3 are poor off-roaders, they're just marginally if any better than the other GM vehicles they are more or less rebadged and reskinned versions of. That, to me, is pointless - to buy up unique nameplates and then in the interest of cost savings by parts bin sharing, get rid of most any unique aspect to their underpinnings and powertrains and just keep the name and try to keep the same rough 'style' and that's it.

Ever heard of Electrolux? They've been doing the same thing to household name indoor appliances and outdoor equipment for quite a while too, and it sucks.
I'm just going on what I've read - there's been a lot of reviews
Old 05-13-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm not saying the H2 and H3 are poor off-roaders, they're just marginally if any better than the other GM vehicles they are more or less rebadged and reskinned versions of. That, to me, is pointless - to buy up unique nameplates and then in the interest of cost savings by parts bin sharing, get rid of most any unique aspect to their underpinnings and powertrains and just keep the name and try to keep the same rough 'style' and that's it.
Find me the SUV that the H3 is a rebadge of.

What unique powertrain did the Hummer ever have. Since 1985 AM General has used GM engines. The H2 has tons of exclusive parts that the GMT800 Tahoe didn't have. 6.0L, HD chassis, interior, exterior, wheelbase, suspension, etc.. Hummer is the one brand that has the most unique stiff. Hell, they don't even share the windshield angle with any other GM truck, and stiff like seat belt buckles and power windows switches I could care less if they share. In fact that makes them better because it is easier and cheaper to get parts down the road. Engine sharing also means more aftermarket parts will be avalible.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Find me the SUV that the H3 is a rebadge of.
SUV? How about compact truck? Save for many aesthetic parts, the H3 is a rebadge of the Colorado. Its chassis code is GMT345 which is essentially just a slightly dimension modified GMT-355.

What unique powertrain did the Hummer ever have. Since 1985 AM General has used GM engines
OK and a lot of pressure washers use the same Honda motors as a lot of Go Karts... that alone means little if anything. The I5 is in the Hummer because it's in the Colorado.

The H2 has tons of exclusive parts that the GMT800 Tahoe didn't have.[/quote] 6.0L, HD chassis, interior, exterior, wheelbase, suspension, etc..[/quote]
The 6.0 wasn't available in the Tahoe but it was available in other GMT-800s that were known to be very closely related to the Tahoe - Escalade for example. Beyond that, everyone knows it's all the same as the 5.3 - just a bit more displacement and a bit more power. HD chassis? They made a couple of tweaks to the existing half ton SUV chassis but it wasn't the HD chassis in the sense of the GM HD trucks - not in the least.

Hummer is the one brand that has the most unique stiff. Hell, they don't even share the windshield angle with any other GM truck, and stiff like seat belt buckles and power windows switches I could care less if they share. In fact that makes them better because it is easier and cheaper to get parts down the road. Engine sharing also means more aftermarket parts will be avalible.
I could care less if they share those switches as well. But the fact is that there is very little technical advantage to the H2 over the Tahoe in off-road driving - at least from everything I've seen.

BTW - read the motor trend comparo of the H3, FJ, PF, and GC. H3 placed last. They said it was one of the better off-roaders in the group, but nothing amazing, and that's about where the buck stopped. It placed last.

Last edited by Threxx; 05-13-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:55 PM

SUV? How about compact truck? Save for many aesthetic parts, the H3 is a rebadge of the Colorado. Its chassis code is GMT345 which is essentially just a slightly dimension modified GMT-355.
Just because another vehicle rides on the same platform doesn't make it a rebadge. If the H3 came out first people would say that the Colorado is on a stretched H3 chassis. They have the same engine/trans. but the H3 has a lot of upgrades (suspension, brakes, locking diffs, 4.56 rear.) You can also get a manual in the H3 and can't in a Z71 crew. H3 has 100% different exterior and with exception of gauge layout different (and much nicer) interior. It also has a floor shifter while the Colorado gets a column. H3 & H2 are very good examples of platform sharing done right.

BTW - read the motor trend comparo of the H3, FJ, PF, and GC. H3 placed last. They said it was one of the better off-roaders in the group, but nothing amazing, and that's about where the buck stopped. It placed last.
I've read it, CD did the same article and it got 3rd. 3 main reason why it was last and 3rd.

#1 - not enough power, it had the worst HP to weight ratio. It gets 22 more HP for '07 and a V8 will probably be their in '08

#2 - It was the most expensive of the bunch. Maybe once it gets the V8 the asking price will be justified.

#3 its a GM. If it was the exact same truck made by Toyota it would have been automatically bumped up a place or two.

Last edited by Z28x; 05-13-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:19 PM

You say platform sharing, I say 'more or less a rebadge by today's standards'.

Originally Posted by Z28x
#3 its a GM. If it was the exact same truck made by Toyota it would have been automatically bumped up a place or two.
Uh... no. GM is well respected for their trucks and SUVs. It's one thing that they've always done well.

The FJ in the MT review got third place, and is a fine SUV - it's on the 4runner platform and the 4runner is a great SUV - the FJ just looks retarded IMO. But anyhow...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Even tho I'll never buy one, it does kinda suck that its gonna be killed off. If nothing else, it was a good status symbol of one badass off roader. The H2 has too much of a "bling" image for me. The H3 while being nice, is pretty small (I can imagine its size is optimal for off roading). But the H1 was the biggest, baddest of them all, kind of a King of the Mountain thing. Oh well.

For those in the know, any plans for Hummer releasing a Jeep Wrangler type vehicle? I know there were rumors of this about a year ago but not sure if anything ever came of it. I think that would be a pretty cool vehicle in Hummer's lineup.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
I can only hope that means we're getting a replacement for the military.
I was reading that there's a competition for a replacement underway.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Dang that's messed up....the unemployment figure will probably rise around my area then. Pretty much everyone I know, knows someone that works at the Hummer I plant.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 PM

I think this might have more to do with the Military then GM. They have been looking for a Hummer replacment for at least the past 5 years. H1 existed because of Military contracts.