Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

How would El Camino be received?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 12:21 PM

Sorry but from a design standpoint, the Ute makes me want to vomit. The midsection, I mean the door and that little window behind it.. totally horrible mess of counterintuitive useless dysfunctional lines for a truck. Why not square it off a bit at least? What's up with those "pretty" lines on a truck? WTF were they thinking? I'm surprised that thing sells at all. Looks good as a coupe and sedan but not as a truck. I'd be way claustrophobic in one of those things, dying to get out at every red light. It looks nothing like previous American El Caminos. Looks more like a chopped down soccer mom minivan. I guess Australia really is a different market than the US. It's best they kept it down under and import as many GTO's as possible instead.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:56 AM

Put me down in the buy column. In fact, I am really considering buying an old El Camino. hehe. Esp after watching the movie the mexican!

I want one. Benefits of a truck, without the pain in the *** of a truck. I WANT IT! OVER THE GTO!

------------------
93 Patriot Red Z28 - A4, 3.23 Gears
*Mods*: Hooker Super Competition Catback, Holley 58MM Throttle Body, Holley Powershot Filter, 160* Thermostat, A. Anderson Programming Chip, Aeromaks Cold Air Intake System

Audio: JVC KDSH77 HU, Infiniti Kappa 6.5"
Max's Patriot Red 93 Z

Time: 14.052@98.23, 2.193 60', Street Tires, Hot & Humid
Old 07-04-2002, 08:41 AM

What would happen? Hmmmm

All the people whining about the new GTO would have something new to complain about!

Sad when RWD V8 is not good enough
When your dying of thirst in the desert and someone hands you a glass of water.....take it!!!

[This message has been edited by 305fan (edited July 04, 2002).]
Old 07-04-2002, 12:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Reno Leigh:
And I have seen Ford, Hudson, etc Utes that were manufactured in the US and other places years before the first 1951 Holdens even.</font>
Ford Australia was the first manufacturer to develop a 'coupe utility' for production. It did so in 1932 in response to interest from farmers who wanted a vehicle capable of being used for farmwork during the week, but that could be used as a 'town car' on Sundays. The Ute is very much an Australian design. Very much a Ford Australia design.

You can find details here

The Holden Ute, first released in 1951, was designed to take on the Ford Ute directly. Holden paid no particular reference to anything other than the domestic Ford competition. It is myth to claim otherwise.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Holden did use the US El Camino as inspiration. I read it on the Holden website, and in other web published interviews with Holden designers.</font>
Right...why would Holden need inspiration from an American design? We've been building these things here longer than anyone else. We invented the idea. Holden did not use the El Camino for inspiration.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Dont be embarassed about El Camino influence, it turned out great!</font>
We're not. There's nothing to be embarassed about.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE]
When your dying of thirst in the desert and someone hands you a glass of water.....take it!!!

QUOTE]

You got that right! No offense to anyone, but I think some people here have a bad attitude because there is no new Camaro right now.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:26 AM

Red face

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IMPALA64:

QUOTE]

You got that right! No offense to anyone, but I think some people here have a bad attitude because there is no new Camaro right now.
</font>

If you hadden been layed in a while, and no new chicks were around... would you bang an ugly man, just cuz he was willing?
Old 07-05-2002, 08:16 AM

No, but you'd do a plain looking chick with all the bits in the right place ...
Old 07-05-2002, 03:54 PM

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 305fan:
</font>
No, it's sad when people settle for "just good enough." I don't want any of GM's products to be "just good enough." Do you?

Uh, by the way I think it's pretty foolish to compare a life-or-death situation with what we really want to see out of a car.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:02 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Xed:

If you hadden been layed in a while, and no new chicks were around... would you bang an ugly man, just cuz he was willing?
</font>
by ugly man, do you mean aztek or maybe civic???

I think going from the Trans Am to the GTO is like going from a Hot D cup girl to a Hot C cup girl.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:46 AM

"Just good enough"? No- I think the new GTO
will be much better then that.

Also there is a huge difference between a man and a woman- and the new GTO is no ugly man-
I don't switch teams cause I'm not getting any.

Oh and Z28wilson- I was using a METAPHOR- in comparing dying of thirst in the desert.
I wasn't being literal- just trying to illustrate a point- some people got it.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:00 PM

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 305fan:
Oh and Z28wilson- I was using a METAPHOR- in comparing dying of thirst in the desert.
I wasn't being literal- just trying to illustrate a point- some people got it.
</font>
Of course it was a metaphore. Doesn't change the fact that it's a poorly-used one. If I'm dying of thirst YES I'll take water. If I'm "dying" for a RWD V8 performance car with some distinguishable styling I don't have to gladly accept whatever is given to me, I have other choices!

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:37 AM

Steven J-
That is actually another Holden, the Statesman/Caprice... Holden exports them too..