Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Re: Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Perhaps they predicted moderate demand, and got high demand?

Why do you automatically assume they predicted "low demand"?

They vehicle is 5 years old, though... it is due for a re-make in the near future... I'm sure that will happen.
Any specialized model like this is typically going to be low demand. The CTS-V is low demand compared to the CTS, the SS TB is low demand compared to the regular TB, etc, etc...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
Any specialized model like this is typically going to be low demand. The CTS-V is low demand compared to the CTS, the SS TB is low demand compared to the regular TB, etc, etc...

Just off the top of my head... (because it was referred to in this post by Scott...)

V8 Camaro's were a large, if not majority, of F-Body build out...

So, that contrdicts this theory....
Old 02-16-2006, 10:56 AM

They vehicle is 5 years old, though... it is due for a re-make in the near future... I'm sure that will happen.
That's been cancelled Darth. Some mild revisions are expected for the cirrent platform though. I'd be happy with the 9-7X dash and a 6L80 trans.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Just off the top of my head... (because it was referred to in this post by Scott...)

V8 Camaro's were a large, if not majority, of F-Body build out...

So, that contrdicts this theory....
The f-body is a performance car by nature, though.

SUVs are generally not purchased with all out performance as the primary concern.

Come on now... did I even have to say that? I figured that part of the 'theory' was obvious.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 PM

The f-body is a performance car by nature, though.

SUVs are generally not purchased with all out performance as the primary concern.

Come on now... did I even have to say that? I figured that part of the 'theory' was obvious.
Well, I agree... but the point was there...

I'm not trying to say that anyone would expect TBSS's to outsell non-SS TB's... but that doesn't mean that if the SS doesn't outsell all non-SS's combined that it has to be a considered "low number"... I suppose you can look at it whatever way you want... but I'm going ot guess that TBSS will outsell it's main competition... Grand Cherokee SRT-8... by a wide margin... if for no other reason but the price difference.

In other words, I don't think you can paint the entire automotive landscape with one broad paintbrush as far as what defines successful sub models and what doesn't in terms of percentage of total build.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's been cancelled Darth. Some mild revisions are expected for the cirrent platform though. I'd be happy with the 9-7X dash and a 6L80 trans.

Was it cancelled altogether? (I can't imagine that )

From what I understand, it was just pushed back about 1 model year... from either 07 to 08 or from 08 to 09???
Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Yeah the SRT8 starts at 39,300 but comes mostly loaded up starting out. I think the performance numbers on the SRT8 are pretty impressive relative to the TBSS though, so I guess it might be a question of 'that much more' performance for 'that much more money'.
I would take the MUCH better utility of Trailblazer SS over the SRT8 any day of the week . A SUV thats simply blisteringly fast is DUMB , thats what cars are for .
Old 02-16-2006, 05:03 PM

Agreed, and it will probably show in sales...
Old 02-16-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I would take the MUCH better utility of Trailblazer SS over the SRT8 any day of the week . A SUV thats simply blisteringly fast is DUMB , thats what cars are for .
So um... the SRT8 is 'just' blistering fast? I thought it had a 4x4 or AWD system as well? And comparable seating and towing capacity to the TBSS? Where exactly does it fail to be as practical as the SS other than in terms of price, in which case, well, if you're even considering the SS obviously practicallity isn't #1 on your list or you'd be looking at a more standard model anyhow.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 PM

So um... the SRT8 is 'just' blistering fast? I thought it had a 4x4 or AWD system as well? And comparable seating and towing capacity to the TBSS? Where exactly does it fail to be as practical as the SS other than in terms of price, in which case, well, if you're even considering the SS obviously practicallity isn't #1 on your list or you'd be looking at a more standard model anyhow.
Ummmm , no . SRT8 can tow 2900 lbs , the SS can tow 7500 lbs . Im towing my F-body on the trailer in the SS . My Camaro weighs over 3000 lbs , plus the trailer , you tell me how thats gonna feel towing in the SRT8 . Plus the SS is softer riding SUV , but handles equally as well .

Again , what good is a SUV thats firmer riding than a Corvette and isnt rated to tow over 3000 lbs . Nooooo thanks

Guess Im just still in the midset , you buy a truck , if need its utility . Hell , give me the 300 SRT8 car , and I have 90% of the use of that SRT8 SUV .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 02-16-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Ummmm , no . SRT8 can tow 2900 lbs , the SS can tow 7500 lbs . Im towing my F-body on the trailer in the SS . My Camaro weighs over 3000 lbs , plus the trailer , you tell me how thats gonna feel towing in the SRT8 . Plus the SS is softer riding SUV , but handles equally as well .

Again , what good is a SUV thats firmer riding than a Corvette and isnt rated to tow over 3000 lbs . Nooooo thanks

Guess Im just still in the midset , you buy a truck , if need its utility . Hell , give me the 300 SRT8 car , and I have 90% of the use of that SRT8 SUV .
I was unaware that the SRT-8's trailering capacity was so hindered compared to the SS. When I 'asked' I really was asking.

And BTW, it's 3500 lbs for the SRT8 and 6800 for the SS. Point still taken, but just wanted to let you know for future reference you were a bit low and a bit high.

BTW... do you have any handling numbers? Given the SRT8's issues with towing I'd tend to suspect that very well may be due to a pretty hardcore sport suspension. I know the SRT10 Ram has a pretty insane handling capability.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 PM

I was unaware that the SRT-8's trailering capacity was so hindered compared to the SS. When I 'asked' I really was asking.

And BTW, it's 3500 lbs for the SRT8 and 6800 for the SS. Point still taken, but just wanted to let you know for future reference you were a bit low and a bit high.

BTW... do you have any handling numbers? Given the SRT8's issues with towing I'd tend to suspect that very well may be due to a pretty hardcore sport suspension. I know the SRT10 Ram has a pretty insane handling capability.
Yea , I knew that ...hehe . The article I got that from is at work . I figured it was close enuff as the spread was so big The handling #'s are at work with the mag , all I remember is a few comments regarding the SRT8 , the most prominent being one of the editors saying they couldnt live the harsh ride on a daily basis .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 02-16-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:49 PM

I don't see what the big deal is choosing an SRT8 over a TBSS.

I have a friend who just ordered one (looks to be very difficult to receive though). He wants AWD, automatic transmission, decent handling and brakes, and the rear seat and SUV cargo area.

It DOES handle better than the TBSS.
Pulled .88G vs. .81 for the TBSS.

You also get real performance brakes w/ Brembos from the factory (although stopping distance difference is insignificant, maybe due to the heavier weight).

It is significantly quicker than an AWD TBSS. (low 13s vs high 13's/low 14s)

IMO, the GC Interior is worlds better than the TBSS. You also get much nicer seats w/ better side bolstering.

Exterior styling I think is purely subjective. I like them both. But for the price difference, I think it's totally worth it.

BTW, he CAN afford to have 2 cars, but he prefers to own only 1 right now. So why settle for a TBSS.

Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 10:51 PM

Was it cancelled altogether? (I can't imagine that )

From what I understand, it was just pushed back about 1 model year... from either 07 to 08 or from 08 to 09???
GMT361 was initially pushed back, and now I believe it's dead.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
GMT361 was initially pushed back, and now I believe it's dead.
.....its odd sometimes the popular things they do that too . Next gen Malibu comes to mind too in that respect .

Quick Reply: Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?