Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 PM

Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?

Went to a local chevy dealer and test drove a TB SS. After I drove it, I was told that there was a hold on new orders until June. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:45 PM

Re: Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?

That would be saddening if true....

I wonder if it has anything to do with that supposed tire rub issue? (I am just speculating)
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
That would be saddening if true....

I wonder if it has anything to do with that supposed tire rub issue? (I am just speculating)

I was wondering the same.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Disciple

If it was the tire rub issue wouldn't they "park" all the ones that are out now ... like Ford did with the GT and the A-arms?

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Went to a local chevy dealer and test drove a TB SS.
What did you think of it? I took mine to ice autocross on Sunday. Didn't do all that bad considering I was on the stock no seasons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...S/4c06dafe.jpg
Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
If it was the tire rub issue wouldn't they "park" all the ones that are out now ... like Ford did with the GT and the A-arms?
Good point... you'd hope so anyway.... though I wonder if volume and pricepoint could affect that move. (compared to the price and volume of a Ford GT, that is)

I took mine to ice autocross on Sunday. Didn't do all that bad considering I was on the stock no seasons.

That is awesome!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Would they put orders on hold if current order volume exceed production capacity?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by jpolz
Would they put orders on hold if current order volume exceed production capacity?

That is possible as well... and, actually, might be the most accurate guess at the whole situation.

If they are low or out of stock on, say the TBSS specific wheels.... it makes it impossible to build the vehicle.

I'd venture to guess that the TBSS has been hotter than Chevrolet anticipated as well.

I remember Scott talking about how they had to put the Nav System on constraint in the 2005 Corvette because they guessed WAY too low on how many would be ordered with NAV, and the part supply just dried up for a while until they could compensate and refresh the inventory.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum

What did you think of it? I took mine to ice autocross on Sunday. Didn't do all that bad considering I was on the stock no seasons.

Definitely a performance step up from the regular TB. I drove an AWD model. Off the line you can kind of feel the LS2 trying to get all those AWD mechanicals whirring and spinning. Once past that, it flies. Nice exhaust note. It handles well, eventhough there's more body lean than I prefer. For a second there, going down a twisty road, it made me alittle nervous, until I remembered how C&D drove it sideways at 90mph. The tranny shifts were nice and firm. I wondered what a 6L80 would feel like though.

The dash is horrible however. Especially in a truck that costs this much (the one I drove MSRP'd for about $39,000). That's probably my biggest beef. In fact the day before, I showed my 12 year old the TB SS at the Chicago Auto Show. When he sat in it, he said..."Dad!, this interior looks like it came from a really old car, get the Charger SRT-8 instead'.

In the end though, I kept having to qualify my impressions.

I kept thinking..."This is fast...for a truck". "This handles really well...for a truck"

I liked it alot. Do I like it enough to buy? Still thinking about that.

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-14-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 AM

For those that have driven both. How would you compare/contrast the cornering of the SRX V8 vs the TB SS? I am sure the TB SS hands the SRX its butt when it comes to acceleration and launching so that won't be an issue.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
slt

The dash is horrible however. Especially in a truck that costs this much
Yep, I couldn't get past the dash. This is going to be my tow vehicle for quite a while, so I'm going with a new Tahoe. The difference between the two's interior is like Jessica Simpson vs. the Elephant man
Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 PM

The somewhat sad part is... I really think the Envoy's dash is quite nice. Materials, looks, and everything.

I was very pleasantly surprised with our Envoy's interior... so much to the point that even if I had KEPT the SUV (instead of giving it to my wife), I might have opted for an Envoy (perhaps a Denali, though, vs the SLT we got) over a TBSS...

But... I'd have to drive the TBSS before I could say for sure.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by slt
Yep, I couldn't get past the dash. This is going to be my tow vehicle for quite a while, so I'm going with a new Tahoe. The difference between the two's interior is like Jessica Simpson vs. the Elephant man
Yeah, the Tahoe's interior is great. I'd MUCH rather have the Tahoe's instrument cluster and binnacle on the next Camaro, than the "1950's meets Jetsons" one in the Camaro concept.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
For those that have driven both. How would you compare/contrast the cornering of the SRX V8 vs the TB SS? I am sure the TB SS hands the SRX its butt when it comes to acceleration and launching so that won't be an issue.
well i've never driven the SRX V8...

but the TB SS seems fantastic, its been months since ive driven one, but i remember its a hell of a drive! it seems to be a completely different vehicle...
Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 PM

I called Chevrolet. They confirm a constraint on new TBSS orders for an unspecified length of time.

I get the feeling that could be it for the '06 MY.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Disciple

I called Chevrolet. They confirm a constraint on new TBSS orders for an unspecified length of time.

I get the feeling that could be it for the '06 MY.
Does that mean I may have a "collectible".

Quick Reply: Hold on Trailblazer SS orders until June?