Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Hey, I just published the F-body Resurrection web site, check it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by redzed
"Having the most powerful engine on the market" is a pretty good crutch to have. That's precisely why I bought my Camaro. I'll agree with the statement take away the powerful engine and you have an undesireable car, but I'd say that taking away the t-tops would have accomplished the same thing for me.

In any case, the shortcoming of the car are actually virtues to me. It's not a commuter vehicle, but a modern alternative to a classic musclecar. Owning my Z28 has kept me from doing something really stupid, like hunting down a '69 Charger.

I'll be the fist to admit that a lack of head room and the really strange pedal/steering wheel arrangement isn't all that comfortable. This car encourages me to adopt an ape-like driving posture, a bit too laid back to be truly ideal. I wish the power seat would go down another inch, or that the steering wheel could telescope, but so what. The thing that really cracks me up, though, is the fetal postition rear seat passengers have to assume. What other car offers the opportunity too see a six-footer have his knees at chin level?

I drive a Z28 for the experience it offers. I'm afraid that characterful cars have to be a little idiosyncratic. Take that away, and all you're left with is a transportation appliance.
I really like the driving position. It's like a sports car (300ZX, Corvette, etc.). I also have it for the t-tops. Nothing else can come close (except a targa or retractable hard top and those don't come in a car I can afford). All that is besides the engine of course.

I agree about the idiosyncracies. I mean, if it's too practical, it kinda takes away from the coolness and sacrifices have to be made (Mustang sedan-like seating position for instance). However, the hatchback design is actually pretty practical when you put the back seats down and it doesn't take away from anything.