Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO's nose to be toned down...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 09:18 PM

i'm under 25 and i know who steve mcqueen is and i don't need some clown in a bad movie to sell me a pontiac,besides,what young person,vin diesel's target audience,will be able to afford a GTO,it's not like they can buy a affordable fun-to-drive pontiac these days,not counting the vibe,but car-wise,besides the POS sunfire,what does pontiac offer the young buyer?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:26 PM

I read on an Australian site(cant remember which one) that the GTO will get the sharper, more squared headlights of the VY, and that there was a different bulge in the hood. I really liked that trick ram air set up on the HRT 427 Monaro. The suspense is too much, just show us the car!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:45 PM

GTO's bulbous nose, as hinted at in official pre-release sketches, has been toned down
Two cars have been shipped to America, with full US specifications, including exterior and interior changes
The combination of those 2 quotes is what caught my eye and got me all excited, because now we have at least a better chance for spy shots. sure it's like a 0.0001% chance, but better than none. we have 2 FINALIZED GTO's on U.S. soil. awesome... and as far as the nose, I'm glad it will be different from that preview sketch.. now let's see it!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:02 PM
Prominent Member

Question I wonder if this is it........

........although this looks Photoshopped it was claimed to be a "spy photo".....

A little more 'subtle'.......

Last edited by Doug Harden; 11-19-2002 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:41 PM

That has a better/more GTO-like look. Who knows what theirs looks like, but the more different from the other Pontiacs the better.

The car need to be more aggressive and muscular looking not the other way around.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:24 AM

Those headlights look like direct cut & pastes from a Bonneville. I hope it doesn't look like that. The grill is ugly w/ that spcae on top of it. Fog lamp "gleam" is pure photoshop. As long it's designed with common sense and looks something other than this green one or the prototype blue one, we'll be fine
Old 11-20-2002, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Derek Smalls
not counting the vibe,but car-wise,besides the POS sunfire,what does pontiac offer the young buyer?
Not counting the Vibe? Nothing besides the Sunfire, true. What does the Ford division offer "young" people besides the Focus, not counting a V6 Mustang which may still be too pricey for a College kid?
Old 11-20-2002, 07:29 AM

Hey the next GTO might be too pricy for the target audience..but kids can drool and say what else does Pontiac have that has around 350HP...what a Firebird?? a 98-99 you say and they are around 12K...hmmm...Ill look into those..used but stiff fast..and plenty of real go fast parts for it..it might be discontinued but it has the right price...
and you know alot of kids watching The Fast and the Furious went out and thought there moms Honda was fast...
basically alot of kids see what it does on TV and mimic it..wow I put a huge can of "NAWWWS" on my car it will run 10's...thats your basic low level street rice mentality..just like they call us Camaro boys rednecks...there are smart import guys but are outnumbered by the stupid advertising buying public..
So pontiac is going in the right direction..I mean you dreamed about cars you couldnt get till now..just like everyone..its just seeds that get planted that grow..
Old 11-20-2002, 11:50 AM

Basically I've grown weary of the GM bashing around here. Even when they do stuff right it's wrong. I mean, they made their new performance car a showpiece in what will be a popular movie and it's put down like that will be a bad thing. And then we'll complain that GM doesn't advertise their performance cars.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Caps94ZODG
wow I put a huge can of "NAWWWS" on my car it will run 10's...
heh, great bakwoodz pronounciation....
Old 11-20-2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Basically I've grown weary of the GM bashing around here. Even when they do stuff right it's wrong. I mean, they made their new performance car a showpiece in what will be a popular movie and it's put down like that will be a bad thing. And then we'll complain that GM doesn't advertise their performance cars.
You got that right! GM gets their only high performance coupe in what promises to be a big movie, and someone complains about GM because they don't like the actor in it.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by guionM
You got that right! GM gets their only high performance coupe in what promises to be a big movie, and someone complains about GM because they don't like the actor in it.

Add me to the list of people made to look like this:
by people upset with it...
Old 11-20-2002, 11:01 PM

I can't stand Vin Diesel, I think he's a terrible one demensional actor, that aside, I think this is great move for Pontiac to promote the new GTO. Young people seem to love this guy, and will surely latch onto anything he is seen using in a movie. God bless the mindless youth!
Old 11-20-2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

It's either GA/GTP look, or Bonneville look - we will come up with anything to keep ourselves unhappy. I have yet to hear someone say that now the nose reminds them of Sunfires...

By the way, that article clearly said that headlights will be more Monaro-like.

Ahh... what's the point.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:57 AM

Add me to the crew. Some people will simply never be satisfied with GM... regardless of what GM offers or the moves made for marketing. Personally I think Vin Diesel is a great choice. He's a rising action star. So what if the GTO is priced beyond access by entry level Gen-Y's? It's an aspirational vehicle... one that draws young buyers into a showroom, after which they might instead buy a supercharged Vibe, Sunfire or Grand Am GT.

Quick Reply: GTO's nose to be toned down...