Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GTO availability

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:10 PM

GTO availability

I doubt this belongs in this section but since I see posts talking about availability of these cars I figured I would let everybody know that a Pontiac dealer that I was at last Sunday had 10 or 12 of them on their lot. If you are looking for one and having trouble finding it, I saw the them at Bob Sellers Pontiac on Grand River Rd in Farmington Hills, Michigan. I think they had at least one in every color.

Hopefully that information can help somebody pick one up. I was unable to talk my fiance into one because she thought they were too plain looking.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 AM

My local Pontiac dealer now has 6 in stock.

1 Impulse Blue
1 Yellow Jacket
2 Quicksilver
2 Black

Amazingly, 2 are sticks...

Sadly, and after searching on www.gmbuypower.com , every single one of them has the plain, solid black interior...

I was thinking an Impulse Blue with the Black and Blue interior, or a Black, Red, or Silver with Black and Red interior would be nice...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:45 AM

At least y'all can choose to buy or not to buy. Up here above the 49th, there are no new GTOs. My only problem with the car - other than the not sold in Canada thing - is the trunk, or lack thereof. I would be more than happy to live with the sleeper (I suppose that description applies here) looks but it would be nice to be able to put something in the trunk if you had to.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM

Just seems odd to me that these cars are sitting on the lot. How long have they been there? Doesn't seem like a hot seller. I know several people have ordered them, but if they were in such high demand, shouldn't they be selling off the lots? Or is it just the sticks that are selling? No flame, just curious.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by PaperTarget
Just seems odd to me that these cars are sitting on the lot. How long have they been there? Doesn't seem like a hot seller. I know several people have ordered them, but if they were in such high demand, shouldn't they be selling off the lots? Or is it just the sticks that are selling? No flame, just curious.

Dealers still aren't willing to deal on these cars, and there are no rebates.

I doubt we'll see rebates, but not many are willing to pay sticker or more.

I asked the guy with 6 GTO's if they were moving on the sticker yet... he was like "Oh yeah, we'll deal for sure!"

He offered me FIFTY DOLLARS off sticker, and totally undervalued my trade in, even more than the usual....... um............... no thanks. I can wait.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:29 AM

Doesnt seem like they're doing well at all. All these stories how no dealers will sell anywhere near or below sticker. The GTO seems like a flop from all this info over the past few months, but hey, it might be doing fairly well. Who knows. I did see an Impulse Blue GTO at the Pontiac dealer on Wayne Road between Ford and Warren I believe it was. Havent been anywhere near Farmington Hills lately. But that was the first one I've ever seen outside the NAIAS.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Ude- lose
can anyone estimate/guess the march figures ?
March figures are not out yet.. too early...

February 2004 sales were 606, and that was the first month of sales.

Before people bash 606... production ramp up, dealer mark up, and product availability will effect the first few months of sales of any new car.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Ude- lose
i know darth, these guys ar hanging to see it fail.

i mean look at the comparisons the rags are making and its comming through with flying colors - see here
Actually no "we" are not. "We" want to see another RWD car succeed in the market place. "We" think the GTO isn't doing as well as it should because of dealer markup. Also, people that are interested in this car can't afford it or it's not practicle for them (no trunk and bad mileage on the auto). "We" think a revised GTO would do better. Personally I like the car. I just think there are issues that need to be resolved. As many on here seem to forget, it's not performance that always sells a car in the RWD segment. "We" see a lot of reports of cars sitting on the lots and "we" want to know WTH they aren't selling or selling quickly.

Also, sales aren't effected by how many are available. You can only sell as many as you have. If demand is great, you should be selling them as soon as they hit the lots, in most cases even with dealer markup. 606 sold is one thing, but how many were actually AVAILABLE in February is what I want to know. I'm not bashing either. This is just an example: If 1000 were built and arrived in America during March and there are perhaps 100 sitting on dealer lots waiting for buyers, I would think there is a problem IF this car is supposedly selling as hot as some claim.

I don't know if it's a good comparison, but when 2003 Cobras first came out, it was hard to find them on a dealer lot. They only built 13,000 of them in 2003. Six months later you were able to find them on the dealer lot. Not sure what the turn around was though. The GTO just got here and there's already cars sitting on the lot. I'm trying to find out what the turn around on these things is. How long are they sitting on the lot before they sell? I'd love to see production #'s, sales #'s and turn around time. Again, no bashing, just trying to see through the hype.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:22 PM

Actually no "we" are not. "We" want to see another RWD car succeed in the market place. "We" think the GTO isn't doing as well as it should because of dealer markup. Also, people that are interested in this car can't afford it or it's not practicle for them (no trunk and bad mileage on the auto). "We" think a revised GTO would do better. Personally I like the car. I just think there are issues that need to be resolved. As many on here seem to forget, it's not performance that always sells a car in the RWD segment. "We" see a lot of reports of cars sitting on the lots and "we" want to know WTH they aren't selling or selling quickly.

Also, sales aren't effected by how many are available. You can only sell as many as you have. If demand is great, you should be selling them as soon as they hit the lots, in most cases even with dealer markup. 606 sold is one thing, but how many were actually AVAILABLE in February is what I want to know. I'm not bashing either. This is just an example: If 1000 were built and arrived in America during March and there are perhaps 100 sitting on dealer lots waiting for buyers, I would think there is a problem IF this car is supposedly selling as hot as some claim.

I don't know if it's a good comparison, but when 2003 Cobras first came out, it was hard to find them on a dealer lot. They only built 13,000 of them in 2003. Six months later you were able to find them on the dealer lot. Not sure what the turn around was though. The GTO just got here and there's already cars sitting on the lot. I'm trying to find out what the turn around on these things is. How long are they sitting on the lot before they sell? I'd love to see production #'s, sales #'s and turn around time. Again, no bashing, just trying to see through the hype.
Well, obviously there are more availble NOW than in FEBRUARY... just simple common sense there.

As for Cobras, I do not think that is a good comparision for several reasons:

1) The Mustang was not an all-new car (like GTO is, at least to the US).

2) The Cobras do not have to be shipped half way around the world.

3) To stock a Cobra, you have to be an SVT dealer, and pay for that right. I know the CLOSEST SVT dealer to where I live is over FIFTY MILES AWAY, so it would appear that there were none on Ford lots, when in fact, most Ford dealers do not even have the right to sell the SVT cars.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

They have at least three that I know of at Sawyers Pontiac in Lansing.

Red/Black, Yellow/Black, and Purple/Purple. They also have a Black/Black, and a Silver/Black one in the back (don't know if they are sold yet or what). Also, I think the only one with an auto trans is the red one. The rest are manuals.

All of them are going for sticker, maybe even less if you asked.

There is a dealer near Detroit (Quality Pontiac) that gave GMS discount for anyone for a week in February. So it's not hard to find a deal on one, you just have to look around a bit.

I think the reason that they didn't sell so well in Feb is because it was still winter time. Who shops for a sports car when there's still snow on the ground? Give them some time, they'll sell all of them they make.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot to add that with a GM card you can get another $1000 off. Combine that with GMS pricing and you could have one for well under $30,000.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:47 PM

If you all remember, Cobras stopped production temporarily not long after they came out...That coulda affected how many were around.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Well, obviously there are more availble NOW than in FEBRUARY... just simple common sense there.
Why do you say that? I would hope there would be more, but that's not what I was after.

Originally posted by Darth Xed
As for Cobras, I do not think that is a good comparision for several reasons:

1) The Mustang was not an all-new car (like GTO is, at least to the US).

2) The Cobras do not have to be shipped half way around the world.

3) To stock a Cobra, you have to be an SVT dealer, and pay for that right. I know the CLOSEST SVT dealer to where I live is over FIFTY MILES AWAY, so it would appear that there were none on Ford lots, when in fact, most Ford dealers do not even have the right to sell the SVT cars.
Probably not a great comparison, but what other RWD "American" coupe in the $30,000 range with 300 HP is there in limited numbers? Cobra is the only one I can think of. But to answer your points.

1) An all new car should be selling like hot cakes. They shouldn't be sitting on dealer lots.

2) Makes no difference. GTOs shipped halfway across the world are sitting on dealer lots. I'm not really sure where you're going with that statement.

3) GTOs are available to ANY Pontiac dealer and should be easier to sell compared to the SVT. While there may not be many SVT dealers where you are, there are several close by to where I am (Houston). I know where to look for them.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Why do you say that? I would hope there would be more, but that's not what I was after.

Probably not a great comparison, but what other RWD "American" coupe in the $30,000 range with 300 HP is there in limited numbers? Cobra is the only one I can think of. But to answer your points.

1) An all new car should be selling like hot cakes. They shouldn't be sitting on dealer lots.

2) Makes no difference. GTOs shipped halfway across the world are sitting on dealer lots. I'm not really sure where you're going with that statement.

3) GTOs are available to ANY Pontiac dealer and should be easier to sell compared to the SVT. While there may not be many SVT dealers where you are, there are several close by to where I am (Houston). I know where to look for them.

Maybe the best answer is wait till the year is over and see how long it takes for the GTO's to sell out...