Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GT-R lap times exposed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Erm... forgive me for pointing out the obvious... but cracking a $500 iPhone ain't quite the same as cracking a $70,000 car's PCM.
But the iPhone isn't any different than the PCM. It's just 1s and 0s. The only difference: the function of the device. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to read the output of the GT-R's computer, but like I said earlier, if you put the right person in front of the "jibberish", the rest is just providing that person with red bull and nose candy.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
As I said, if God himself certified Nissan's results it wouldn't make any difference to many people here.

You all have a nice day!
You need to quit worrying about what people here think and leave God out of this. You seem so convinced of our perceived close mindedness and bias that you've forgotten your own. You already know how all these threads end. We'll all agree to disagree and go about our daily lives as if this never happened.

This all boils down to a few things: Nissan took the GTR to the Ring and ran a spectacular time. There was a lot of interest on how the car achieved the runs in stock trim with the power to weight ratio and the amount of grip the stock tires could give. Then Nissan used the run for marketing purposes as if to endorse it and then more questions arouse some about the video itself. Then there has been the testing of the car in other places and some run very good and other runs more in line with what a car with that advertised power and weight should perform. Now many here have questioned the runs but our questioning can be wrote off as an anti-GTR/Nissan bias. What Porsche has done is give us and all those who have questioned the performance of this car some validation and they did what many have wanted to see; the run of a showroom stock GTR at the Ring in a head to head comparison. The only thing better would be for Nissan and Porsche to bring their test cars and drivers to the Ring and have both vehicles looked over to see of they are what they claim to be and then let loose.

So until that happens there can still be questions as to what Porsche did since they are not unbiased to their own brand. This also leaves the door wide open for further tests. If Nissan was on the up and up with the GTR at the Ring they may want to respond, if they were hiding something then it may be best to let this call out by Porsche blow over. We’ll see what happens.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Boy, it's awful darned early in that car's life to have had the PCM cracked already.
Did someone leak out some design documentation?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
Did someone leak out some design documentation?

SHHHHHH!!!!

Stop telling secrets from 1999...
Old 10-06-2008, 03:14 PM

I think they should run in some endurance races in GT2 class with porsche. would be interesting.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM

Pffft......I've never met an OEM tranny I couldn't break!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Pffft......I've never met an OEM tranny I couldn't break!
There's a reason that I'm on my third T56 - and it's no garden-variety version!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM

LOL. I know its "taboo" around here to bring it up....but you think it might have something to do with the weight of that SS?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
LOL. I know its "taboo" around here to bring it up....but you think it might have something to do with the weight of that SS?
Nah, I doubt it And who you callin' fat? Hell, my SS only weighs about 150 lbs more than a GT-R! I don't think I'll be throwing down a 'ring challenge to it, though.

Speaking of fat sedans on the 'ring, Porsche's time with the GT-R would indicate that it's hardly any faster than the Cadillac CTS-V.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Hey ZZ; speculation and assumptions about who is the better driver and what balances out are just big words for not really knowing anything substantial which is what makes up about 98.5% of this thread (including what Porsche had to say).

As I said, if God himself certified Nissan's results it wouldn't make any difference to many people here.

You all have a nice day!
All you need to know is that the Porsche engineer drove the GT2 and 911 to their fastest Ring times to date. Fastest Ring times to date damnit!!! Are you getting this!?! That ought to be all the proof you need.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I have 2!
So do I!

That said, I also have two cars that have been modified in several ways.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
All you need to know is that the Porsche engineer drove the GT2 and 911 to their fastest Ring times to date. Fastest Ring times to date damnit!!! Are you getting this!?! That ought to be all the proof you need.
Nah, Robert's response to that is that you can't prove whether or not the porsche engineer was actually optimized to the car or even pushing it to its limit (cause he could have only gone to 75% throttle and really we'd never know).

...Despite the fact that it's Porsche and I'd bet money their engineer ran more than a couple laps in the GTR to make sure he could get a really good time on it. Porsche isnt the company to get caught [as previously said] with egg on their face.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 PM

You certainly didn’t make that distinction before.

Regardless of what I consider to be “abuse”, track use of a street-legal vehicle is abuse – read the fine print of warranty coverage for any “performance” vehicle you choose and I think you’ll see manufacturers agree.

And reputation aside, I’ve seen plenty of broken Porsches at track events (along with plenty of broken Corvettes and Nissans and BMWs and any other nameplate you can think of).

Manufacturers do not build their vehicles for Joe or Suzie to take it to the drag-strip or local oval every weekend…of course they know people will do that but that is not the purpose of a street-legal, mass produced vehicle nor are they build for that kind of use.

I take my vehicles to the track but when something breaks, I don’t expect Nissan (or GM) to pony-up for the repair.
You misunderstand. It's not warranty that I'm referring to... it's reputation! As Eric stated, it's better for Nissan to under-promise and over-deliver... couldn't have said it better, myself!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
You need to quit worrying about what people here think and leave God out of this. You seem so convinced of our perceived close mindedness and bias that you've forgotten your own. You already know how all these threads end. We'll all agree to disagree and go about our daily lives as if this never happened.

This all boils down to a few things: Nissan took the GTR to the Ring and ran a spectacular time. There was a lot of interest on how the car achieved the runs in stock trim with the power to weight ratio and the amount of grip the stock tires could give. Then Nissan used the run for marketing purposes as if to endorse it and then more questions arouse some about the video itself. Then there has been the testing of the car in other places and some run very good and other runs more in line with what a car with that advertised power and weight should perform. Now many here have questioned the runs but our questioning can be wrote off as an anti-GTR/Nissan bias. What Porsche has done is give us and all those who have questioned the performance of this car some validation and they did what many have wanted to see; the run of a showroom stock GTR at the Ring in a head to head comparison. The only thing better would be for Nissan and Porsche to bring their test cars and drivers to the Ring and have both vehicles looked over to see of they are what they claim to be and then let loose.

So until that happens there can still be questions as to what Porsche did since they are not unbiased to their own brand. This also leaves the door wide open for further tests. If Nissan was on the up and up with the GTR at the Ring they may want to respond, if they were hiding something then it may be best to let this call out by Porsche blow over. We’ll see what happens.

Thank you...that is exactly what i was thinking..and this:
Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

“We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that,” he said.

“This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

Wait what?? Why not just say bring it..What nissan should of said was..yes the GTR does that and we will do it again right now.
When someone stalls there is something going on..
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM

I’m not sure what you are trying to say???

There is no “basic” tire. There are three sets of tires available for the GT-R at the customer’s choice.

1. The cold weather package gets you Z-rated Dunlop all-season tires, or

2. Bridgestone RE070R high-performance run-flat summer tires, or

3. Dunlop SP Sport 600 DSST high-performance run-flat summer tires.

All tires are nitrogen-filled at the factory. All choices are no-cost; it’s simply up to the buyer to decide which tires he wants.

I’m sure that there is some very slight performance differences between the sets, especially between the all-season tires and the two types of summer tires but I’m sure that is not what Porsche is basing their accusations on and I would hope they would be smart enough not to order the all-season tires for their testing.

The article quoted the Porsche spokesman as saying “What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tires," says August Achleitner, the man in charge of the 911 program.”

Clearly, they are suggesting that something VERY different than the standard production model tires were used and now Nissan has said they absolutely did not use any other tires but the Dunlop tires that are available on the car.
There is a BIG difference between tires listed there. Not to mention that they don't deny shaving the tires or such.

You just refuse to believe anything else. You've said so yourself that people with a closed mind won't care even if the proof is right in front of them.

Quick Reply: GT-R lap times exposed?