Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Grand National Concept (Monaro Based)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM

That is freaking beautiful! I don't care what anyone else says, major props for the guy who made that!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Fore some reason, I really like that concept. It has a really bold look to it!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Richard Cabeza
What I really hate about GM is that they just fling all their names with heritage around. HOW does that car resemble a Grand National? Outside the fact that it has 2 doors and has a Buick badge on it? Decent car, but sorry, it's not a Grand National.

Just call the damn thing a Buick Monaro. After all, that's all it is.
Took the letters right out of my keyboard.
I feel the same way.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:34 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I really hate about GM is that they just fling all their names with heritage around. HOW does that car resemble a Grand National? Outside the fact that it has 2 doors and has a Buick badge on it? Decent car, but sorry, it's not a Grand National.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree too. It seems like they base everything off of one model they have already, throw some badges on it and name it after a classic!! I can here GM now, "Here's the new GN it has the cavalier's frame and body....we've given the engine an extra 10 hp and some cool badges on the body that say GN. Now go buy it because we've taken away all our other muscle in or stable and we know we can trick you into buying our crap......um i mean retro muscle!!"

Blow me!!! GM needs to get some creative people in there, most of the stuff now is crap!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:23 PM
gab

Originally posted by bigde4u
quote:

I agree too. It seems like they base everything off of one model they have already, throw some badges on it and name it after a classic!! I can here GM now, "Here's the new GN it has the cavalier's frame and body....we've given the engine an extra 10 hp and some cool badges on the body that say GN. Now go buy it because we've taken away all our other muscle in or stable and we know we can trick you into buying our crap......um i mean retro muscle!!"

Blow me!!! GM needs to get some creative people in there, most of the stuff now is crap!!!
Beaten to death here like the 1millionth time, but if your comment of '"Here's the new GN it has the cavalier's frame and body..." has anything to do with what the new GTO comes on, then it is all wrong. No cavalier frame or body. It doesn't even look like a Cav in real life. Go check one out yourself at the dealer's!!!! If you still think it looks like a CAV (not in pics), maybe you need glasses..
Old 02-12-2004, 02:19 AM

And to further nitpick...a Koala isn't a bear! Its a marsupial
Old 02-12-2004, 05:46 AM

I'm not one to like retro at all, but I just can't imagine a Grand National that slick and swoopy. It's almost part of its character to have the aerodynamics of brick, as if to say "who cares about aerodynamics when you have this much power!"
Old 02-12-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by gab
Beaten to death here like the 1millionth time, but if your comment of '"Here's the new GN it has the cavalier's frame and body..." has anything to do with what the new GTO comes on, then it is all wrong. No cavalier frame or body. It doesn't even look like a Cav in real life. Go check one out yourself at the dealer's!!!! If you still think it looks like a CAV (not in pics), maybe you need glasses..
I didn't say the GTO looks like a cavalier. I said they base these "new classics" after a model they already have then throw some badges on it and name it after a classic!!

The GTO might not look like a cavalier but take a look at a 2001 pontiac grand prix gt, it does look a hell of a lot like it!! So go buy the over priced grand prix gt with GTO badges but me i say if it's named after a classic it shouldn't look like a cavalier or grand prix!!

Beat to death.....maybe, but as long as they can continue to do this and everyone says it's great because GM says it is, we'll just keep getting the same recycled stuff!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:01 PM

I didn't say the GTO looks like a cavalier. I said they base these "new classics" after a model they already have then throw some badges on it and name it after a classic!!

The GTO might not look like a cavalier but take a look at a 2001 pontiac grand prix gt, it does look a hell of a lot like it!! So go buy the over priced grand prix gt with GTO badges but me i say if it's named after a classic it shouldn't look like a cavalier or grand prix!!

Beat to death.....maybe, but as long as they can continue to do this and everyone says it's great because GM says it is, we'll just keep getting the same recycled stuff!!!
look, how many times does it have to be posted? THE ORIGINAL GTO LOOKED LIKE ANOTHER PONTIAC, THE TEMPEST. to prove this let me get some pics.

1965 Tempest

1966 GTO

sorry i couldnt find a 65 GTO to go with the 65 Tempest. the fact of the matter remains, the GTO was based off the Tempest and was an appearence package of sorts for the Tempest. sure by 1970 it had its own shape. but the ORIGINAL GTO was a rebadged Tempest (think Manaro) with hood scoops and a better motor.(there could be more differences but thats the jist of it.)

Last edited by 87camracer; 02-12-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
gab

Here's what you said, "I can here GM now, "Here's the new GN it has the cavalier's frame and body....". Granted that your just voicing your opinion, and if GM did build a GN after the CAV, then I would agree with you. However, this thread was about a Monaro/GTO body with the Buick frontend grafted to it, and your comment about the "new GN" is obvious to me to mean the Monaro/GTO...That's where they are both different animals. If you had intended to say it looks like a GP, I would have agreed with you only from the standpoint of the frontend. You also did say, "So go buy the over priced grand prix gt with GTO badges but me i say if it's named after a classic it shouldn't look like a cavalier or grand prix!!" The GTO did look like another car...

Would I go and buy a OVERPRICED GP GT with a GTO badge??? Absolutely NO WAY!!!! However, it is not the case here. You know it and everybody else here know it, that the GP and GTO are both different animals. One's a cat the other's a lion. They may have similar exterior looks but they are both completely different animals. Looks alone does not make 2 cars "the same". This new GTO is not an overpriced GP since one is FWD and the other a RWD. One comes with a six, the other a V8. One has okay interior, the other apparently has a u-beauty interior. If the GN is based on the GP and turbocharged, maybe your displeasure may be a valid point...but this is not the case here when a suggestion of a GN name being based on a car configuration that could be a GN. Imagine the Monaro CV6 supercharged or turbocharged being adopted by Buick. I can certainly see GN written all over it...

Last edited by gab; 02-12-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 AM

I just typed up a very detailed response for this and lost it when i went to post it!!!!

So there's no way i'm going through that again, I'll just say we'll agree to disagree!

You guys make valid points (but so did i in my lost response )

My basic point is i want different, not similar but kind of different!!

Man i'm pissed i lost all of my response!!!!

Last edited by bigde4u; 02-13-2004 at 03:00 AM.