Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM's Current Performance Car Lineup

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:22 PM

Red face GM's Current Performance Car Lineup

Just incase no one noticed, GM's quickest 5 cars are now:

1.Corvette Z06
2.Corvette
3.Pontiac GTP
4.Cadillac STS
5.Buick Regal GS (ties with the STS at about 6.9 0-60mph)
Only GTP & Regal are below 30 grand.

Ford (in case anyone is interested):
1.Mustang Cobra
2.Mustang Mach1
3.Mustang GT
4.Ford Thunderbird
5.Mustang V6 5speed (don't laugh, it does 0-60 in about 7.2 seconds and does the quarter in about 15 flat at 90mph).

At Ford, Thunderbird & Cobra are over $30,000
Old 08-29-2002, 01:28 PM

Thumbs down

Ya... it is actually quite ridiculous, no matter what the reasons are.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:02 PM

Thumbs down

I remember when I was in my last year of High School ('98), everyday I used to argue with my friends about how GM offered the most performance/fast cars and one time I even drew up a "relay race" of GM vs. Ford, and GM vs. Dodge, etc.

You lose a lot of fire power when you axe the third leg of that race. If I remember correctly, I had the lead car as the Grand Prix, then Trans Am, followed by the SS and then the Corvette.

Even against the Prowler, Dakota R/T, Viper and I think Intrepid, Chevrolet alone could use the SS, Vette, Monte, and Lumina LTZ and win.

Memories...

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Zed
Old 08-29-2002, 08:43 PM

Mustang, Mustang, Mustang, Mustang, Mustang! They're all the same to me. And where's this Mach I? It is NOT part of the current lineup. Plus - if you can call the "smiley-face" TBird a performance car, then I can call the Grand Am GT one also.

------------------
Sunset Orange Met. 2002 Trans Am, DF Lid, FRA, K&N | DFGreen 98 GTP, Insulated SLP K&N, !U!Res, 3.5 Pulley, transcooler
| Brilliant Red Metallic 1990 IROC-Z Camaro, K&N, Camaro SS takeoff muffler | NBM 99 Formula, SOLD in Aug. 02.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 PM

Excellent statistics! But, is the truck company listening?

Fred.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:53 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigDarknFast:
Mustang, Mustang, Mustang, Mustang, Mustang! They're all the same to me. And where's this Mach I? It is NOT part of the current lineup. Plus - if you can call the "smiley-face" TBird a performance car, then I can call the Grand Am GT one also.</font>
So replace the T-bird with the more affordable SVT Focus. Mach 1's are due out within the next month. You can go to a dealer and order one now... That's pretty "Current" if you ask me. If you want to include trucks you can add the SVT Lightning. Point is - GM's current performance car lineup SUCKS unless you have 35K+ to spend or want a sedan.

------------------
If it breaks, it wasn't high performance enough.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT
2000 Jetta M5
Old 08-30-2002, 05:23 AM

My main point was - the Mustang variants are all one car IMHO. And while they are nice cars, I'm not fond of them. The basic shape and styling has been around for YEARS... and it's too stubby. The Mach I is the first variant which still has uumph with an A4, but then it has those *yucky* flat wheels. The focus is too much of a recall queen to be trusted in my book. And the L is a truck... not a car.

Tbird... isn't that the one with the ad where the wimpy male owner is too chicken to race the guy who pulls up beside him? A hint for gentle readers... if the manufacturer's own marketing suggests not to put a car up against others in a race, it MIGHT not have the cajones to be a "performance car"
Old 08-30-2002, 06:27 AM

Smile

I am not a Merc fan, but one other performance car you forgot was the Mercury Marauder...it supposedly has 300 HP, but it isn't as fast as the 94-96 Impala SS

------------------
Long live the musclecar!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:58 AM

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcsslover1987:
I am not a Merc fan, but one other performance car you forgot was the Mercury Marauder...it supposedly has 300 HP, but it isn't as fast as the 94-96 Impala SS

</font>
You are absolutely right! Ford's fastest cars (corrected):
1. Mustang Cobra
2. Mustang Mach1
3. Mustang GT
4. Mercury Maurader
5. Ford Thunderbird
Old 08-30-2002, 02:43 PM

GM will soon have:

GTO about 350HP
SSR about 300HP
CTSv at least 350HP
XLR 330HP
2004 GTP 280HP
Impala SS 250-280HP

all to be out in 2003

just to bad all the RWD cars are over $30K
Old 08-30-2002, 02:48 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28x:
GM will soon have:

GTO about 350HP
SSR about 300HP
CTSv at least 350HP
XLR 330HP
2004 GTP 280HP
Impala SS 250-280HP

all to be out in 2003

just to bad all the RWD cars are over $30K
</font>
Not only over $30k... but substantially over $30k ...

Old 08-30-2002, 07:47 PM

Whoa Fellas... Time for a Reality Check.

Here's some data from carpoint.com

ThunderBird - $35-$38K retail (oh you thought you could get a discount from sticker? As soon as pigs fly...)

Cobra of course $35k... again, discounts subject to prerequisite flying pigs...

Mach I - price will be at least $30k, maybe up to $35k... again no discounts.

Marauder - Again, $35K... with a wide variety of color choices: black, black, black, black, black, black, or black! And a portly curb weight that will prevent it from flying before... well you know.

Lightnings - not a car, but $32k.

Mustang GT A4 Premium (no T-tops): $27k

BTW as far as current offerings... has everyone forgotten about the FBody? Well below $30k, especially with current discounts.

Darth - what's your source of data for pricing on all these new GM cars?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:49 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigDarknFast:

Darth - what's your source of data for pricing on all these new GM cars?
</font>

I don't have a source, I guess I should have said "expected to be well over"...

Anyway I see GTO being $33K+, on top of that it's limited, so the dealers will gouge.

SSR is supposed to start around $35k , I thought.

CTS-V would HAVE to be more than a base CTS which STARTS at $30k. A decked out CTS is in the high $38's, and even more with GPS.

XLR is going to be AT LEAST $60k for starters.

GTP & Impala SS will be FWD, so I those weren't in the RWD equation....

Old 08-30-2002, 10:15 PM
Prominent Member

Thumbs down

Looks like that used C5 (easily bought for $23k +/-) is looking better all the time.

There isn't one car on either list that I'd even consider....

Is the day of affordable performance dead?? Nothing in the $20k - $25k range....well, nothing that is V8, RWD....??!!!

Performance for the wealthy only SUX!! (heck I make around $80k/yr and ain't no way in he11 I'm paying car payments that rival my mortgage!!
Old 08-31-2002, 06:54 AM

From what I've read of others buying the new Cobra, that car is limited and in high demand but is not commanding a premium at most places. Ford fans visiting LS1.com seem to feel that buyers are wise to walk away from dealers charging over sticker and simply go to another for a sane price. How will the GTO be any different?

Today's CTS can be had in nicely equipped form for $34k. How many CTSv buyers are frothing at the mouth for a neato navigation system? I believe the CTSv is going to be an amazing performance value which will put many a BMW to shame (similar to how today's LS1 Fbody does the same )! Gotta pay to play folks....

As for the GTP, wouldn't people be surprised if if came out with AWD, one of the rumors I've seen floating around... and even if not, what will Ford offer in 2004 in a roomy 280 hp/ 280 tq performance sedan for around $30k (today's GTP maxes out below that BTW)?

Who here has a real inkling what small performance cars are on the way from the GM Performance Division in the next year or two? No one has a clue do they... not to mention the performance parts coming from them as well. You can already get supercharger kits for a new Grand Am... the future will be interesting. FWD/RWD... tell a Neon SRT4 buyer he/she cannot have real performance unless it's RWD.

Quick Reply: GM's Current Performance Car Lineup