Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM in talks to buy Chrysler....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:21 AM

God I hope not...
Old 02-15-2007, 11:28 AM

Guys.....
1. GM is NOT in talks to "BUY" Chrysler!

2. Chrysler is Dieter Zetsche's baby. He fought some hguge battles over funding & turned it around when he was Chrysler's CEO. Now he's CEO of the whole DamilerChrysler organization, and he's just staked his career on bucking investors by not spinning off Chrysler but again reinventing it by sharing even MORE with Mercedes Benz.

Originally Posted by dav305z
GM has nothing to gain. The only reason people ever buy Chrysler is for Jeep, and GM's own Hummer brand is stomping all over it...
GM's Hummer is stomping all over Jeep??......

......yeah, OK.....whatever.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 AM

I'm surprised people think of Chrysler/Dodge as a truck company. All I think about is the 300C/Charger and Challenger. Oh, then there's the Prowler, Viper, ... before that Concorde, Intrepid, Prowler, etc... some great cars that helped the company stand out from its more conservative rivals.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 PM

I'm always hearing about how much money GM is losing all the time, do they even have the funds to do such a thing?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CD/BP
About that...

Total Jeep sales for 2006 = 460,052 (with 5 models)
Total Hummer sales for 2006 = 71,524 (with 3 models)

The Grand Cherokee or Liberty out sell the entire Hummer brand on their own.
Well, I stand corrected on that (reason to research before posting ). Nevertheless, I stand by that point. The only thing Chrysler (and AMC before them) have to offer is Jeep, and GM clearly doesn't need it. Hummer at the very least has the "attitude" that sells Jeeps, and lord knows they have volume selling trucks.

Maybe GM can give them the 3800 again....
Old 02-15-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
Ok, I will say this right now.

You're off your ****ing rocker.

And I'll follow it up with a:
What the **** are you thinking?

Common sense has to play a part somewhere. I'm glad you found the opposite side of the spectrum.
You should really not make posts on a public website when you're drunk. Seriously, stop doing that.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Guys.....
1. GM is NOT in talks to "BUY" Chrysler!
The emerging story does seem to suggest that we're talking about technology tieups and maybe platform sharing here, not an acquisition. But when you've got an investment bank involved and a ton of rumors going up and down Wall St, the situation can evolve in a hurry and things that seem true now can seem ridiculous a few days or even hours later. I would not be surprised if DCX still existed in its present form in ten years. I would also not be surprised to wake up tomorrow and find that a consortium of investors I've never heard of had made an offer and were going to have somebody like Wolfgang Bernhard run the whole thing, and that Daimler was considering it.

Consider:

- JPMorgan is offering DCX senior management a series of options, and testing the waters with potential partners or acquirers.

- The situation is a top business headline in every market in the world, meaning that lots of organizations who might not have been thinking of a Chrysler deal two days ago are now having the "should we be doing something here?" discussion.

- There's TONS of capital out there at the moment, and lots of ways to put a deal together without too much trouble right now. (The problem would be running it, not buying it, but that's a different issue.)

- The UAW is probably working its own Rolodex.

Things are going to be fluid for awhile, unless DCX decides to make a more definite statement.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me

More or less showing some neat/possible program mergers. And thanks for asking without being a dick.
most welcome

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Hummer was a jeep offspring??
Jeep was owned by AMC. American General was the division of AMC that sold vehicles to the military. The HMMWV concept came out in 79 and started production in 85.http://www.amgeneral.com/ Eventually AMC was sold to Chrysler in 87 to get Jeep, but hummer or HMMWV at the time continued to be sold to the military through the surviving American General until Hummer was sold to General Motors. According to American General they continue to be involved in and support the HMMWV as long as it deals with the military. GM bought Hummer, but it does not own American General.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummer

Landrover also sprung up as a result of jeep though in a completely different way. After WWII two brothers tooled around england in a left over jeep. eventually it started wearing out and they developed the first Land Rover on that jeep frame.

back to the topic

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 02-15-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
The emerging story does seem to suggest that we're talking about technology tieups and maybe platform sharing here, not an acquisition. But when you've got an investment bank involved and a ton of rumors going up and down Wall St, the situation can evolve in a hurry and things that seem true now can seem ridiculous a few days or even hours later. I would not be surprised if DCX still existed in its present form in ten years. I would also not be surprised to wake up tomorrow and find that a consortium of investors I've never heard of had made an offer and were going to have somebody like Wolfgang Bernhard run the whole thing, and that Daimler was considering it.

Consider:

- JPMorgan is offering DCX senior management a series of options, and testing the waters with potential partners or acquirers.

- The situation is a top business headline in every market in the world, meaning that lots of organizations who might not have been thinking of a Chrysler deal two days ago are now having the "should we be doing something here?" discussion.

- There's TONS of capital out there at the moment, and lots of ways to put a deal together without too much trouble right now. (The problem would be running it, not buying it, but that's a different issue.)

Things are going to be fluid for awhile, unless DCX decides to make a more definite statement.
All good points.

Any company worth it's salt will keep it's options open. Also one of the key things about a corperation is that stockholders have a say in some aspects of the company (GM experienced this very thing last summer). DaimlerChrysler's stockholders are pushing to spin off Chrysler (forgetting that Chrysler's original cash stockpile funded the development of most all the Mercedes on the road today, and not too long ago was the only automotive branch of DCX... save their truck division... that was making money). Daimler's CEO is fighting it off for now, and this look into how divesting of Chrysler would play out I'd say is preparation for a worse case scenario more than an actual current plan.

Dispite this, there seems to be the herd mentality taking shape here where each item seems to build on another till there is some really bizzare and ridiculous posts being made.

A Zeta LX? Buying a Challenger in a Chevy showroom? Must be some bad acid going aroind, because there is very little nod towards reality here.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I'm always hearing about how much money GM is losing all the time, do they even have the funds to do such a thing?
This was exactly what I was thinking.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Daimler's CEO is fighting it off for now, and this look into how divesting of Chrysler would play out I'd say is preparation for a worse case scenario more than an actual current plan.
And/or a way to get the unions' attention. And that'll probably be that.

But like I said, these things have a way of running in directions nobody thought of.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Dispite this, there seems to be the herd mentality taking shape here where each item seems to build on another till there is some really bizzare and ridiculous posts being made.
I'd generally agree with that, but just to play devil's advocate, I'd remind you that this same herd mentality could be affecting the negotiations. Namely, DCX's board and stockholders seem (foolishly) enchanted with the idea of spinning off Chrysler. That momentum could snowball, if not in a sale to GM, then to someone. And if there is a firesale of Chrysler, you can't really blame GM for looking.

That said, it just seems there's way to much redundancy, both in product and in structural issues, for a merger to make sense. It only would work if there were MAJOR brand closings. I'm thinking of Dodge and Chrysler effectively replacing Pontiac and Buick. I'd say Hummer would bite the dust too, but I would not be surprised if in any potential sale Diamler tried to keep Jeep.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by georgejetson

Consider:

Great post! Just to expand on the scenario where a consortium of investors swoops down to grab Chrysler, off the top of my head, I can't think of an instance where once this was done, the auto company in question, thrived for very long.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 AM

Today's rumor has Hyundai jumping in. The Detroit News is reporting that DCX is going to issue a prospectus shortly, which is a legal disclosure document that amounts to a formal offering. The private equity crowd may yet jump in, maybe is already trying.

I bet lots of people will be working 14 hour days today (Sunday) on this. Things are snowballing fast.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Disagree.

Chrysler is all about CARS and MINIVANS.
Dodge is about PICK-UP TRUCKS and VANS.
Jeep is about SUVs and OFF-ROAD UTILITY.

Chevy and Buick are all about CARS (and minivans too, especially in China, but that don't count here!).
Chevy/GMC are all about TRUCKS and VANS.
Chevy, GMC, and Hummer are all about SUVs and OFF-ROAD UTILITY.

So now let's exclude Ford and see what compares on-parity...
Hyundai... Sonata, Rio, Sportage - what models of Chrysler or Chevy do these compete with?
Toyota... Camry (does match-up against GM and Chrysler models), Corrolla (same), Solara?, Matrix ( pretty close to the Vibe, huh!.. but what else?), Tundra (obvious), Tacoma (obvious).
Honda... Accord (some good match-ups there), Civic (maybe a few match-ups from GM, not really from Chrysler IMO), Element? Ridline?
Nissan... Titan (obvious), 4-runner(obvious), 350z? Altima (maybe impala or 300?), Murano?
Honestly, what other big manufacturers are playing in direct markets with GM/Chrysler?

By now, you should see where I am coming from.
There is MUCH more direct competition between GM and Chrysler for similar product than there is between GM and others.

I don't know if the FTC would discern between the models the way I do or not (kinda doubt it), but a "car" is not just a "car" anymore than a phone is a phone or cable TV is cable TV. A deal like this would be scrutinized closely I feel sure, and I doubt seriously if it would be alllowed at this point. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Every major car company today (except for Kia and Hyundia) makes cars, trunks and SUV's. If GM was to buy Chrysler, which is highly unlikely and a bad move, it would not have a monopoly simply because is tons of competition for every product that they make. FTC would not care about this merger.

And Toyota makes the 4-Runner.

Quick Reply: GM in talks to buy Chrysler....