Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM seen posting sales gain

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

GM seen posting sales gain

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Co. is likely to post its first year-over-year monthly sales gain in 21 months when automakers report sales figures on Tuesday, a top GM sales analyst said Wednesday.

Mike DiGiovanni, GM's executive director of global market and industry analysis, also told reporters that the payback from the government's "Cash for Clunkers" rebates that depressed U.S. auto sales in September should be over.

"We're through that for the most part," he said during a sales preview discussion. "We think it paid back in August and September."

GM last reported a sales increase over the same month of the previous year in January of 2008, DiGiovanni said. GM's vehicles sold poorly last October, though, down 45 percent from October of 2007 when U.S. financial markets were collapsing.

Also in October, GM should see its third straight U.S. market share gain, falling into the 20 percent to 21 percent range despite shedding four brands and trying to focus on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac, DiGiovanni said.

He predicted U.S. light vehicle sales for October will rise to an annual rate of 10.5 million, up dramatically from September's 9.2 million. He said the U.S. auto market is not out of trouble yet but is showing signs of recovery.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-see...&asset=&ccode=
Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM

So even though GM is down to 4 brands it still has 20%+ market share. Cars like the Spark, Volt, Cruze, and Regal should help them get that number higher.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Cars like the Spark, Volt, Cruze, and Regal should help them get that number higher.
As long as they can develop a quick cycle of replacing other cars in their lineup as they get older. That was GM's problem, trying to play whack-a-mole with 80 models. So while GM would consistently trumpet how well their new models always did, for every vehicle tearing up the charts there were two more long-in-the-tooth slugs pulling down the average.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by R377
As long as they can develop a quick cycle of replacing other cars in their lineup as they get older. That was GM's problem, trying to play whack-a-mole with 80 models. So while GM would consistently trumpet how well their new models always did, for every vehicle tearing up the charts there were two more long-in-the-tooth slugs pulling down the average.
Excellent point. We are still seeing some old GM with vehicles like the Colorado and Impala.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Excellent point. We are still seeing some old GM with vehicles like the Colorado and Impala.
I think the problem is less of GM target shooting with 80 models, but the fact that very little "new life" was breathed into the lineup. For a while there, it seemed like a challenge to see how many ways GM could package a 3.8L, 4-speed auto, and a Delco brick radio into a metal box. The kicker was to see how many times they could put the same steering wheel in a different model vehicle before someone noticed. Their "new" models were old, even when they were new.

Now, there's less target shooting, but also very NEW product. Quality, performance, and technology that we've never seen before from GM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM

So their remaining brands combined are outselling all the brands they had combined a year ago? Or are they saying their remaining brands are outselling those same brands last year (excluding the brands that existed last year and don't exist now)? If #2 is the case then that's just a stupid/obvious seemingly intentionally deceptive statement to make. If it's #1 then I'm surprised and impressed.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
So their remaining brands combined are outselling all the brands they had combined a year ago? Or are they saying their remaining brands are outselling those same brands last year (excluding the brands that existed last year and don't exist now)? If #2 is the case then that's just a stupid/obvious seemingly intentionally deceptive statement to make. If it's #1 then I'm surprised and impressed.
I'm pretty sure it's the former ... they're talking about GM's overall market share, which is comprised of whatever models they happen to be selling at that point in time. Even though the volume number comparison isn't that impressive given the very weak month last year, I have to say I am surprised and impressed that their market share is increasing with basically half the brands (of course they're still selling the remains of the retired brands for a little while longer).
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM

i fully expected to see an image oif a guy dressed in a GM corporate logo suit to be posting a sign a sign of their sales.

^and i wasnt high.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx

and a couple new cars like the Spark, Volt, and Regal fill voids were GM doesn't have a vehicle. With that said, the Camaro is a void that has been filled for 2009. It overlaps with no existing product.