Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM reps lurking this board..read and beware!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 03:27 PM

Well put.

Do you think there's any chance of any of this being disinformation on GM's part? I do't know what advantage that would be (it's not like the competition is being lulled into complacency...well except maybe the Mustang's styling department).

From the 'don't raise the bridge, lower the water' creative thinking mode......
Old 02-27-2004, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by guionM

Now.... on the flip side, GM isn't making things any better.

Bragging that they can do a car from scratch in 18-24 months, then taking 4 years to bring a car from near final design to production doesn't help. Neither does does producing a car simultaniously with it's own division in another country, then taking an additional year or 2 after that division brings out it's version to bring out ours.

thats what I am talking about.....your someone in the know and you say it the best..what we read..(not 5th gen members but the population of car people that dont know like 5th gen people) we read and take that as whats what...GM and what they say at events makes it hard for normal every day poeple to wait...and your quoted peice is also what I have meant..all this who haa and nothing yet..

Im trying to represent the uninformed that since they dont know whats comming they will not even wait for a GM musclecar since they know they havnt heard anything...
Old 02-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Well, I have a 2002 WS6 so I'm good for at least 5 years in the performance dept. I think secrecy is a good thing for GM because it's rumored that Toyota is playing with the idea of a turbo V8 Celica. Also Ford is very competitive in the pony car arena.

It looks like 2008 will be the year of the Camaro. I'm p'd off that there is no news on a Firebird. I don't see the point in having both a Grand Prix and a GTO either. I could live with a Camaro I guess, but I've always liked the more aggressive styling of the Birds.

All I ask is that it be a small 2+2. Under 3300lbs. RWD, V8, a tough rear axle and very muscular aggressive looks. I don't think that's a tall order to fill. I'm not a big fan of Ford, but if there's nothing else around that's the way I'll have to go. Right now it looks like there's going to be a Hemi Charger and that will be hard to stay away from.

Last edited by Dwarf Killer; 02-28-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Dwarf Killer
...Also Ford is very competitive in the pony car arena.
No, Ford is not competitive in the Pony Car arena.......

Ford Mustang IS the Pony Car arena.

It has the market all to itself, and it's raised the bar against any competitors... alot!
Old 02-28-2004, 10:24 PM

I think Red gave everyone the clue with the comment on the 22Billion pension shortfall being plugged.
They cut the f-body because it was not profitable enough, and converted those plants to make SUV's, which are most profitable..look at all the new SUV's that have came out the last 2 years....
With that big of a pension shortfall, GM was in deep crap and cutting the f-body and making SUVs was how to get out. Now that they have plugged that gap, they can get back to making performance cars for that market and compete.....

Now with that said, I never have aplan as to when I'm going to buy a car, it usually just hits me, with that said, if GM has a car that fits my desire (speed) thats in my budget, I'd buy it, if they don't, then I'll be shopping for a supercharged Cobra, my first non-GM car, but right now it offers the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to aftermarket mods and being able to handle the hp.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:51 PM

I don't care why we don't have affordable RWD performance. I only wanna know what GM is doing about it, and how long will it take. I am a diehard GM guy who is being forced into buying Mopar and possibly Ford. I have one kid here, and one on the way. Where are the big four door sedans with OHV V-8 power and RWD. GM should, could rule this arena forever! No one has a technologically advanced V-8 like the LS1/LS6 and the new LS2/LS7. The new Hemi is the ballgame for oldtimers like me. I would love an updated 1996 Impala SS. Why did they kill this wonderful car?! It sold like hotcakes, and to this day, low mile cars are holding their value (a first in an american car). As much as I would love a Corvette or a CTS-V, they are simply out of my current price range. Buying a few more rental properties is more important to me than shelling out 55K for a car my wife would have a hissy fit over. DC will have two cars out soon that will be below 35K that meets my and I am sure a lot of our criteria. GM has the best engineers, the most money, the most state of the art manufacturing facilities. They should make the best cars for the enthusiast. BMW is viewed as being the "enthusiasts" manufacturer. I don't want to buy an import (althought the DC cars are part import). I want a red blooded American RWD sedan with V-8 power and charisma that befits the SS tradition and will restablish GM as the worlds premiere marque. Sorry so long.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:13 PM

Give it a few years.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by IZ28
Give it a few years.
you sure people will be around???

thats what we are talking about..WE know..but does the regular guy know..and a few years..heck every month something is released to make people change their minds and choose somehting other than GM...

few years might be too long.. TO MAKE A STATEMENT!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:57 PM

True true.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Caps94ZODG
few years might be too long.. TO MAKE A STATEMENT!!!!!!!!
Yep, I've always bought GM, but will be forced to buy something else if I get the urge to get something in the next year or 2, and I may discover how good the competition is, or I may get treated better and not go back to GM
I'm sure there are thousands of others that may do the same thing, seems like a lot of customers they could be losing.... I guess they are counting on pulling customers over from the competition new the new breed is released to make up for the loss.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Yep, I've always bought GM, but will be forced to buy something else if I get the urge to get something in the next year or 2, and I may discover how good the competition is, or I may get treated better and not go back to GM
I'm sure there are thousands of others that may do the same thing, seems like a lot of customers they could be losing.... I guess they are counting on pulling customers over from the competition new the new breed is released to make up for the loss.
Well now that's just the real ticket isn't it? By the time they get around to getting the thing out they'll have to build a new following because all the F-body loyalists will own Hemi-Chargers and Cobras and won't be too interested in switching back quickly.

Still, I can't blame GM for wanting to go for the big money. It's important to keep Buick alive. GM has already lost a great marque in Oldsmobile. Building a solid SUV, truck, family car base is imperative to survival.

The Asian automakers are now discovering the soft, cushy Detroit ride that is Buick's trademark. I suspect these kind of cars might be more popular in the next few years as the aging population looks to get away from the choppy quasi-sport derived ride common in the Accord and Camry.

Last edited by Dwarf Killer; 03-02-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:56 AM

I placed my order for the 300C! Now to get rid of my Toy, anyone want a Matrix XRS six speed with 11K on the odo? Hemi power! (Former GM fanatic)