Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM memo: Young are excluding us from consideration.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Man, I must be old or sump'tn. I have never really warmed up to FWD cars. All of the cars I have ever really lusted after were RWD in either front, mid or rear engine config. Never really cared for FWD or AWD, especially the latter which really has about as much appeal as an SMG, IRS and an active suspension...BORING...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
If GM wants to get serious about the younger buyer, I think it would help if they would offer more manuals in their small to midsized cars
I agree that they need more manuals. When I got my old car (A m5 black Corolla S) there were hardly any manuals. Only ~3 in the entire Gulf States region (I know as fact). It has since increased a ton.
GM needs a small car that looks great, and is cheap. I don't mean to be a rabble-rouser but the Solstice/Sky is too much.
You want to know something....If Nissan came out with the 280z/240z right now. Exact same car, stipped down to the bare essentials. It'd sale like hotcakes from 10-$15k. It's kind of sad that GM could never engineer a V8 for a cheap vehicle, but whatever. Their loss. If you want a 6cyl, a 4cyl, you might as well get one from those that have been doing them reliably for years(Toyota/Nissan/Honda/etc.). Reliable, good aftermarket, cheap.

Last edited by number77; 12-24-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by number77
You want to know something....If Nissan came out with the 280z/240z right now. Exact same car, stipped down to the bare essentials. It'd sale like hotcakes from 10-$15k. It's kind of sad that GM could never engineer a V8 for a cheap vehicle, but whatever. Their loss. If you want a 6cyl, a 4cyl, you might as well get one from those that have been doing them reliably for years(Toyota/Nissan/Honda/etc.). Reliable, good aftermarket, cheap.
That's not really realistic. I mean, what kind of V8 car can you expect for 10 grand? Or how would you do it? Not realistic at all.

I'm sure McDonald's could sell Big Mac's like.....errrm.....hotcakes if they charged 11 cents for them. Of course, if they wanted to actually stay in business, they'd have to hold the two all beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickle, onions and sesame seed bun. Maybe you could get the special sauce for 11 cents, but then who would actually stop in for 11 cents worth of special sauce?

Anyways, Merry Christmas. Santa needs to go put a dent in the milk and cookies by the fireplace.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's not really realistic. I mean, what kind of V8 car can you expect for 10 grand? Or how would you do it? Not realistic at all.

I'm sure McDonald's could sell Big Mac's like.....errrm.....hotcakes if they charged 11 cents for them. Of course, if they wanted to actually stay in business, they'd have to hold the two all beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickle, onions and sesame seed bun. Maybe you could get the special sauce for 11 cents, but then who would actually stop in for 11 cents worth of special sauce?

Anyways, Merry Christmas. Santa needs to go put a dent in the milk and cookies by the fireplace.

...It'd sale like hotcakes from 10-$15k...
Old 12-25-2006, 05:34 AM

Gm are paying the price for the years of drab interiors that have failed to attract the interest of the young. Young buyers look for 'cool', not fleet friendly. Have a look at Honda's interiors as an example of what I mean. The dash layout is low and allows a lot of light in. The instrumentation is bright and the controls above the console are tactile in feel. I've seen the Cobalt. Although an improvement over GM's past efforts, is still behind the Japanese interiors.

As far as exteriors go, GM are kicking goals with Solstice and Sky. Now if GM can just capture that essence with their small car coupes and sedans to woo Civic/Corolla buyers, then they've scored a hit. High revving, hi-tech engines with flash badging denoting the engine's credentials seem to be the way to the young's heart.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Well, what or how would you get a V8 car for $10-$15? I'd like to know.....or at least I'd like to know your view on how it would/could be done.

Honestly, all your "stripper" posts have me thinking that you simply want a $30,000 car for $15,000. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:39 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again... there is a market for a small inexpensive and very fun RWD coupe or sedan. When I say inexpensive I'm talking $16k base, up to maybe $25k loaded. When I say small I mean VW Golf, not Malibu sized.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Well, what or how would you get a V8 car for $10-$15? I'd like to know.....or at least I'd like to know your view on how it would/could be done.

Honestly, all your "stripper" posts have me thinking that you simply want a $30,000 car for $15,000. Good luck.
Don't tell me "Good luck." Tell GM "Good luck."

Are you saying an average Joe could not build a ground up v8 car for $15k? I think he could. I also think that the dreaded GM-Dealer axis (commonly refered to as the GD-axis) would charge $20k for the same car.

Last edited by number77; 12-25-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:25 PM

The question is....what are young people buying? I know me and my buddies have all bought used cars. Granted we are all mostly in college, but I don't know many people that do buy new cars when they're that young. Personally, I might never buy a new car simply because it's a waste of money.
But anyway, the only thing I would even see someone my age buying a new car is a Scion or a compact (of which I don't think the Mazda3 or Cobalt or Civic are in any shape better in looks than the others). Those VW Rabbits are pretty cheap but I don't see many of them either. Simply put, is this a market (22 and younger) that is even worth bothering for?
Old 12-25-2006, 04:37 PM

My 24 or 25 y/o friend just bought a new Altima for his wife last Thursday.

No GM vehicles considered that he mentioned. Her car before that was a Grand Am. lol
Old 12-26-2006, 12:30 AM

Are you saying an average Joe could not build a ground up v8 car for $15k? I think he could.
Not a freaking chance. It's one thing to buy a used car and drop a crate motor in it and let 'er rip.....maybe even for afew miles. It's a completely different thing to make one from scratch, brand new, certified for all sorts of things, crash tested, emissions tested, durability tested, shipped to the dealer of your choice....and oh yes....at a profit.

Could GM make a fun $15,000 car? Sure. Could GM make a saleable $15,000, V8, muscle car? No way.

But, I've got an open mind. Give me your best recipe for how such a car could be built. I'm all ears.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
Simply put, is this a market (22 and younger) that is even worth bothering for?
Absolutely.

This is the entry level market where persons could either gain or lose respect for an automaker. The second hand market also attracts a semi-conscientious buyer... style/image still sells however not all boxes need necessarily be ticked.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 AM

Toyota made the Scion brand to target exactly this segment. Very smart move.

Honda kills the competition with the Civic.

GM has the Cobalt which is not cutting it right now.

Nissan revamoed the Sentra so we shall ee how that goes.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 AM

Too bad a base Cobalt isn't as cool as a base Mazda3 or Honda Civic.
It's too bad the Cobalt isn't a better product than those two, either.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mgray
I would like to see them take and build a compact forced induction race car. Then, take all of the race parts off, and put their factory stuff on it to make it cheap and meet regulations. If they keep doing this, a whole new breed of compact tuners will arise. The aftermarkets will see how easily they can stick a turbocharger in this convenient spot that looks like it was made for one , and their mass production of these products will drive the mod costs down. More kids will buy them, the intention being, "Man, I can't wait till I can afford to get the blower or turbo kit for my blahblahblah, or maybe even that new suspension setup from blahblahblah!"
They did. It won some event like "One lap of America" or something. Anywhoo it was a Cobalt race car that beat racecar Skylines and the like... They show it on Speed from time to time.

Quick Reply: GM memo: Young are excluding us from consideration.