Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM memo: Young are excluding us from consideration.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:43 AM

GM memo: Young are excluding us from consideration.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...612230378/1148
Old 12-24-2006, 09:29 AM

I think the numbers are always a little off.. but I can see with the 20 and below and some older excluding GM. Mostly because of the Inport tuner fad going on.. If you want to be able to compete with honda, toyota, ect, ect your cars have to be able to have a base in wish they are readily bastardized by a younger crowd...
Old 12-24-2006, 10:34 AM

Not surprising. Compared to Trucks, SUV's and high end cars, they've put very little resources into cars that younger people are buying.

I wish they'd really make a major effort to make a really refined small car, especially with a stickshift.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 AM

A mention of GM vehicles among youngsters my age does bring a good chuckle in the newest age of car buyers.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:39 PM

I guess thats what happens when you take cars away like the CAMARO!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ADV1
I guess thats what happens when you take cars away like the CAMARO!
With cars , the Camaro is the least of the problems . There are a great deal of Camaro only fans that detest GM

Werm - Im totally with you man . I guess well see what happens with the refreshed 2008 Cobalt for starters . The refresh is all under current GM . I have high hopes for the rumored small ecotec Pontiacs too .
Old 12-24-2006, 02:59 PM

The quote below from that article makes a good point and if you add that to the fact GM is now going to have to fight it out in segments that the Japanese have been doing well in for years (like cars and car-based SUVs), its not going to be easy for GM.

"Population movements to the West and South define a long term trend and are expected to continue," the study said. "Most areas within these regions are weak markets for GM."
Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 PM

It doesn't surprise me, a good deal of younger people I know would consider a GM car as the last thing on their list.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
With cars , the Camaro is the least of the problems . There are a great deal of Camaro only fans that detest GM

Werm - Im totally with you man . I guess well see what happens with the refreshed 2008 Cobalt for starters . The refresh is all under current GM . I have high hopes for the rumored small ecotec Pontiacs too .
Agreed. This is not simply about the Camaro, really far from it.

If I were 21, and looking for a cool car, what can GM offer me? Cobalt SS? Ion RL? Maybe a Kappa, if you can actually get one at a good price. Other than that, I can't think of anything. And even those are probably pushing the price ceiling.

Too bad a base Cobalt isn't as cool as a base Mazda3 or Honda Civic.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Too bad a base Cobalt isn't as cool as a base Mazda3 or Honda Civic.
True, but at least GM's not the only one with small car envy. Even the other Japanese brands like Toyota and Nissan don't get any respect with their compact entries (hence the reason for Scion). Personally I would rate the small cars in terms of desirability: Civic, Mazda3, Cobalt. The Civic really impresses me except I would never buy one because of the retarded IP (though at least it's not stuck in the middle of the dash).

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Agreed. This is not simply about the Camaro, really far from it.

If I were 21, and looking for a cool car, what can GM offer me? Cobalt SS? Ion RL? Maybe a Kappa, if you can actually get one at a good price. Other than that, I can't think of anything. And even those are probably pushing the price ceiling.
I'm a bit older than that, and GM still has nothing that gets my attention aside from my current ride (if only GTO were sold here ...). I've been wanting to buy a new car for quite a while now and GM just has nothing in my price range that I'd want in my garage. Pretty sad when you think about it.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:11 PM

I'm 22 and I was 21 when I purchased my Solstice.

Yes, I'm from a UAW family and from the Motor City, but, the car gets looks in every state I've ever traveled to. It's the design!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:33 PM

read through my stripper car threads and you'll see why it is impossible for GM to build cars for us young'uns.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:15 PM

A kid on a schoolbus yelled at the window to me "NICE CAR!" twice.

And today and older man driving a ford taurus asked me if it hauls ***.. So GM has made cars everyone loves.. they just don't seem to have anything to offer that's as cool anymore. Most **** is just plain and boring. I really liked the Cobalts until I sat in the interior.. it kinda sucks.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:17 PM

sorry until a camaro or firbird comes back it aint happening because i doubt they are gonna release anything as cool ever again.. (the new camaro's price range is ) im almost 18 thats all my friends talk bout is tuners, f-bodys or trucks... trucks are pretty big to
Old 12-24-2006, 09:29 PM

For kids my age and younger, we need a 20k or less car. Plus, this car will be a daily driver so a RWD car is not a very large majority of people are looking for. They want something like a Cobolt, Civic, tC, or cars along those lines. Why do you think Chrysler sold so many SRT-4 Neons when they were out, I'll garentte that the Caliber will probably sell close to what the SRT-4 Neons sold to(quanity).

If GM wants to get serious about the younger buyer, I think it would help if they would offer more manuals in their small to midsized cars, and not on the top end models either. If I'm looking for a 20k max FWD car, guess what...I don't have the cash to drop on a top of the line G6 to get the manual.

Quick Reply: GM memo: Young are excluding us from consideration.