Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM may need $30B and bankruptcy to survive.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ForYourMalice
The fact that numbers on this go up on a daily basis is a testament to the fact that they are still not being transparent with the gravity of their situation and that chapter 11 is the only chance they have - even though the chances of them dodging chapter 7 soon after are slim to none.
i still don't think the full financial situation has been disclosed yet -- something is still hidden somewhere, some bombshell, some huge mass of debt that has been hidden by funny accounting practices.

i'm all for a bailout if it'll actually work but more and more i'm starting to think there really is nothing that can be done, especially as the numbers keep rising.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
Your head is in the right place.

GM's problem is not an issue of liquidity (like Chrysler in the 80s) - GM is flat-out f*ckin' broke.

Either GM needs a lot of help giving "haircuts" to its debtors and a big chunk of cash to help it maintain liquidity through the transition, or else the federal government needs to cut a check for something in the neighborhood of $100-125B. I laid out what I think has to happen in an older post:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...43&postcount=6

Frankly, I think that GM has to be allowed to go through some sort of government-backed Chapter 11, and if the company is strong enough to survive that process, then it can probably thrive in the marketplace upon its re-emergence. The government "backstop" for suppliers, bondholders, and retirees is something that I don't like one bit, but I think it's necessary to prevent damage to any surviving car companies (i.e. Ford) and to avoid a tremendous ripple effect from tearing through the US economy.
I agree a special bankruptcy that is well organized and govt backed will be a much easier sell to people worried about buying a car at that time. It is pretty clear GM needs to restructure and lose some brands to survive. Bankruptcy is the only they can do it
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
i still don't think the full financial situation has been disclosed yet -- something is still hidden somewhere, some bombshell, some huge mass of debt that has been hidden by funny accounting practices.
It definitely hasn't. They wanted to use this bridge "loan" to get their foot in the door, and then they were going to keep prying for more - and use the argument that "well, you gave already us $15 billion, but actually its nowhere near enough - so you need to give us X billion, or your initial pledge is going to be in vain." There is no doubt in my mind that this would ultimately go beyond $100 billion if that legislation would have passed. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say the financial statements aren't transparent, but there is definitely more information that they don't want us to see - yet. Now that they bridge loan failed - its on to plan B. Start upping the numbers as a last ditch effort to show how dire their situation is.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I never said this just happened. I'm fully aware of their history and problems. I'm just stating how crazy it is that of all the times of the last 100 years to fail for this to happen now within a month of probably getting a more sympathetic Congress and administration is really amazing.
Absolutely

It's like having a sick parent who has looked after you for so long... and now the calls go out to kill... to put them out of their misery, forgetting all those years of the support they gave you.

Money talks of course... lest the view from the heart.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
This is what makes me mad. Its not like this snuck up on anyone. I remember talking about restructuring GM 7 years ago when I first started coming around this board. I even did a school project in College about restructuring GM.

I just dont understand how the powers at be let it get to this point. Seems like we never got away from product overlap and ridicules bureaucracy.
Like I've always said, GM's problem is it's bureaucracy, and that has always been it's problem.

If simply getting a company to agree to no brainer ideas (like using better interior materials or letting the talent that already exists in GM to design better looking vehicles) requires endless meetings, studies, and a tremendous amount of time, energy, and commitment from a Chairman of Global Product, can you imagine what it takes to change GM's culture?

If it takes years to get approval of a car that should be easy to approve, or things done that need to be done, how can one expect even the CEO to get honest information on how the company's really doing? He apparently doesn't even have the power to get a car made. Consider this quote from a Businessweek article (February 10, 2003)
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...6/b3819001.htm

"During one trip through the design studio last year, he spotted a sexy two-door version of the Cadillac CTS sports sedan. "I hope you guys figure out a way to build that," Wagoner said, but offered no solutions, recalls one senior designer."

The car was proposed in 2002.... and GM finally got around to making it in 2009.

The 5th gen Camaro started back around 1998... and got around to being made (again) 2009.

The last Malibu (also mentioned in the article) was supposed to be the car the current Malibu is.

The reason OnStar is going into every GM vehicle is because GM attempted to expand outside the auto business (like Jac Nasser's Ford), and is attempting to get that money back... same article:
"He seems to have learned from a brush with grand strategic vision back in the '90s, when, like now-deposed Ford CEO Jacques A. Nasser, he explored ways to grow outside of building cars. Wagoner was behind the decision to pump hundreds of millions into GM's OnStar Corp. telematics business and DirecTV satellite-TV service. Neither produced big revenues for GM."

There is no one area where GM doid something that cause this. As with Studebaker & AMC, it took a long time and was a trail of errors that bled the company over many, many years.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Like I've always said, GM's problem is it's bureaucracy, and that has always been it's problem.

If simply getting a company to agree to no brainer ideas (like using better interior materials or letting the talent that already exists in GM to design better looking vehicles) requires endless meetings, studies, and a tremendous amount of time, energy, and commitment from a Chairman of Global Product, can you imagine what it takes to change GM's culture?

The car was proposed in 2002.... and GM finally got around to making it in 2009.

The 5th gen Camaro started back around 1998... and got around to being made (again) 2009.

The last Malibu (also mentioned in the article) was supposed to be the car the current Malibu is.
If that is true then the middle managers from GM should be sacked.

I know there is some truth to what you say as the Camaro silhouette was definitely finalized some 7 years before the concept lobbed.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 AM

the argument is that GM can't go bankrupt because no one will purchase an automobile from a company that went ch11. but what if the US tells GM that they will back their warranty for x years. untill they coul possibly be on their feet again. i heard this on the radio a few days ago and it seemed pretty logical. and he also said that this way would be much cheaper than the previous "100+ billion to let them survive" look of it.

in doing this it would keep the confidense with the public
Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Klypto
the argument is that GM can't go bankrupt because no one will purchase an automobile from a company that went ch11. but what if the US tells GM that they will back their warranty for x years. untill they coul possibly be on their feet again. i heard this on the radio a few days ago and it seemed pretty logical. and he also said that this way would be much cheaper than the previous "100+ billion to let them survive" look of it.

I recall reading a post here from somebody (credit to that intelligent person) for coming up with the idea that instead of the government helping with a loan, maybe they could offer some hefty tax rebates on sales of cars from the Big 3, instead?

Or would that upset the influential foreigners who shape domestic policy in America? (i.e. Japan, Korea, Germany, China etc...)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Problem is the mere thought of a car company going under is going to have a chilling effect on people about to make the 2nd biggest purchase of their life.

To 99% of the public, Bankruptcy means closing the doors for good, regardless as to what really happens. The point that the government can come in and back up warranty claims rings hollow:

1) If the public doesn't know that Ford makes better cars than Toyota (which they now do by every survey) despite news reports, they aren't going to be swayed by government involvement in warranty claims. If the rating means their car is guaranteed quality and that doesn't change opinions, telling someone a car company won't fail because of bankruptcy is going to be a far worse if not impossible sell.

2) Possibly as much as half of the dealers will close down meaning one may have to go some distance to get their car repaired. Right now, my local Chevrolet dealer is closing. Imagine someone seeing in the news that all these GM dealers are closing down. Think they'll buy a car from that company??? Uh... NO!

The only way out is to loan GM money to tide them over, while at the same time FORCING GM to shed it's bureacracy, streamline it's decision making process to take advantage of it's quickest-in-the-industry product development & testing apparatus, and like Ford, focus on becoming profitable as quick as posible.... an idea that from the outside looking in, to the guy on the streets who just tuned in, seems to have been lost the past decade.

In all fairness to GM, money loaned to Chrysler must also be given with strings attached. Mainly banning Cerberus from selling Chrysler for x-number of years by stipulating that if Cerberus does sell or dismember Chrysler, they have to repay the government loan plus intrest as well as assuming the liability of the pensions of those they lay off over a certain age and responsible for finding positions at other Cerberus holdings for a certain percentage of those under that pension age (I'd put it at 50-55).

Last edited by guionM; 12-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

The only way out is to loan GM money to tide them over, while at the same time FORCING GM to shed it's bureacracy, streamline it's decision making process to take advantage of it's quickest-in-the-industry product development & testing apparatus, and like Ford, focus on becoming profitable as quick as posible.... an idea that from the outside looking in, to the guy on the streets who just tuned in, seems to have been lost the past decade.
I agree completely. A simple "bridge loan" won't do that.

In all fairness to GM, money loaned to Chrysler must also be given with strings attached. Mainly banning Cerberus from selling Chrysler for x-number of years by stipulating that if Cerberus does sell or dismember Chrysler, they have to repay the government loan plus intrest as well as assuming the liability of the pensions of those they lay off over a certain age and responsible for finding positions at other Cerberus holdings for a certain percentage of those under that pension age (I'd put it at 50-55).
Abso-freakin-lutely. What's to stop Cerberus from taking the money and then declaring BK, and liquidating the whole shebang. I'd go far enough to say that might actually be their plan.

The feds need to have Cerberus - not Chrysler - Cerberus, on the hook for this.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

but what if the US tells GM that they will back their warranty for x years. untill they coul possibly be on their feet again.
Something along these lines seems like the best solution to me, too.

To 99% of the public, Bankruptcy means closing the doors for good, regardless as to what really happens. The point that the government can come in and back up warranty claims rings hollow:
This might be the most difficult marketing problem ever. I look forward to seeing the solutions.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Either GM needs a lot of help giving "haircuts" to its debtors and a big chunk of cash to help it maintain liquidity through the transition, or else the federal government needs to cut a check for something in the neighborhood of $100-125B. I laid out what I think has to happen in an older post:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...43&postcount=6
For the lazy, here's your original post:

GM probably needs to strike a deal with the government that looks something like this:

1) Pseudo-filing for Chapter 11
2) Debtor-in-possession financing provided by the Treasury.
3) All bonds backed by the Treasury. Anything short of this will destroy pension funds across the US (a lot of this damage, IMO, was caused by GM's inaccurate financial statements).
4) All accounts payable backed by the Treasury. If GM defaults on the money it owes to its suppliers, there will be a wave of additional bankruptcy filings (GM put most of its suppliers into a terrible financial position).
5) Board of directors gets dissolved.
6) New management assigned.
7) Substantial additional white-collar job cuts.
8) Dissolving of the union contract.

If GM doesn't get some sort of bankruptcy protection, figure that it'll need about $25B to keep the lights on through next year, about $70B to cover the difference between its assets and liabilities, and another $30B to contribute to the VEBA. That still doesn't put any new product in GM's showrooms.
I'm curious, Eric, what do you mean by 'giving "haircuts"'?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'm curious, Eric, what do you mean by 'giving "haircuts"'?
It means that various stakeholders would have to accept some percentage of the debt owned to them by GM. Now, in exchange for accepting payments that would be substantially less than the outstanding amount of the debt, there needs to be some assurance that the debt will actually be repaid in some amount - this is where the government could step in and do a lot of good.