Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM to make biofuel out of garbage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

GM to make biofuel out of garbage

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...ZLeHaG_Fn9PuEg

DETROIT, Michigan (AFP) — General Motors Corp. is planning on making biofuel with garbage at a cost of less than a dollar a gallon, the company's chief has said.

The US automaker has entered into a partnership with Illinois-based Coskata Inc. which has developed a way to make ethanol from practically any renewable source, including old tires and plant waste.

The process is a significant improvement over corn-base ethanol because it uses far less water and energy and does not divert food into fuel.

"We are very excited about what this breakthrough will mean to the viability of biofuels and, more importantly, to our ability to reduce dependence on petroleum," said Rick Wagoner, GM's chief executive officer, on Sunday.

GM, which was late in introducing gas-electric hybrids, is the industry leader in flex-fuel vehicles that can run on gasoline blended with up to 85 percent ethanol.

It is currently producing more than a million flex-fuel vehicles a year globally and is committed to making half its production flex-fuel by 2012.

It is also introducing 16 new hybrid vehicles over the next four years, including a plug-in hybrid which can run on electricity alone, and will soon have the world's largest fuel-cell test fleet when it delivers more than 100 Chevy Equinox fuel cell vehicles to customers in the United States, Europe and Japan.

But while these may be the vehicles of the future, flex-fuel is the best "interim" solution as it will take 12 years to replace most of the vehicles currently on the road, Wagoner told reporters at the Detroit auto show.

"There is no question in my mind that making ethanol more widely available is absolutely the most effective and environmentally sound solution," Wagoner said. "And it's one that can be acted on immediately."

Coskata's first pilot plant will be up and running in the fourth quarter of 2008 and the fuel will be used on GM test vehicles.

"We will have our first commercial-scale plant making 50 to 100 million gallons of ethanol running in 2011," said Coskata chief Bill Roe.

The prestigious Argonne National Laboratory analyzed Coskata's process and found it generates up to 7.7 times the amount of energy used and reduces CO2 emissions by up to 84 percent compared with a well-to-wheel analysis of gasoline.

The process also uses less than a gallon of water to make a gallon of ethanol compared to three gallons or more for other processes.

President George W. Bush's energy policy includes plans to increase the consumption of biofuels from 7.5 billion gallons in 2012 to 36 billion gallons in 2022.
So won't be long till we see cars powered by garbage like in Back to the Future II.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Another one...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7490579.story

Detroit - Bags of garbage and bald tires that go to landfills today could wind up in your gas tank in a few years, along with wood chips, crop residue and plastic pop bottles.

That's what Coskata Inc., a biofuels start-up in west suburban Warrenville and auto industry giant General Motors Corp. said Sunday at the Detroit Auto Show in announcing a partnership to produce ethanol from just about any carbon-containing material by 2011.

This would produce pump prices that are 50 cents to $1 less per gallon than gasoline--even before federal ethanol subsidies--and would reduce greenhouse gases. An Argonne National Laboratory study has concluded that cellulosic ethanol produces 85 percent to 90 percent less greenhouse gas than gasoline, compared to 20 percent to 30 percent less from corn-based ethanol.

Coskata's secret weapons are patented bacteria and bioreactors that it says can produce larger amounts of cellulosic ethanol at lower cost than other methods from materials including farm waste, household trash and prairie grass. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma Universities developed the micro-organisms and granted exclusive license to Coskata, which developed the bioreactors and process to recover the ethanol.

The company says it can turn four old tires into seven gallons of ethanol and two bales of hay or straw into five gallons at a production cost under $1 per gallon. That compares with $1.40 to $1.50 for corn-based ethanol, according to the Renewable Fuels Association and Department of Energy, respectively.

The project has a long way to go before achieving a significant scale. Privately held Coskata, which was launched in 2006 and has 37 employees, will open a plant late this year in a location to be named that will be able to produce 40,000 gallons annually.

GM, which has taken an undisclosed minority stake in Coskata, will test the ethanol at its Milford, Mich., proving grounds and provide engineering and research assistance plus some raw materials.

Coskata President and Chief Executive Bill Roe said the firm will seek other partners and expects to have a plant capable of making 100 million gallons annually by the end of 2010. The fuel would be mixed with gasoline to create E85, a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gas. "The technology is ready today and is a platform for other biofuels," Roe said in an interview. "We believe it will have impact at the pump."

Energy Act a catalyst

Unlike conventional fermentation processes that convert corn to sugar to make ethanol, Coskata's turns biomass into carbon monoxide and hydrogen. It then adds patented strains of voracious bacteria to consume those gases and transform them into ethanol. Coskata says its process uses less energy and water than others.

E85 is available at only about 1,400 of the nation's 170,000 gas stations but should become more widely available under the Energy Act recently signed by President Bush. The U.S. produced 6.5 billion gallons of ethanol last year, most of it from corn and most of it used in a 10 percent mix with gasoline to reduce emissions.

The Energy Act requires fuel retailers to sell 36 billion gallons of ethanol by 2022, with 21 billion gallons from cellulosic materials, the kind created in Coskata's processes.

GM has bought into this technology because E85 use qualifies it for extra credit toward meeting federal fuel-economy requirements with flexible-fuel vehicles that can burn up to 85 percent ethanol, even if the owners never use the fuel. Besides, equipping a car to burn E85 at the factory costs less than $100. In contrast, gas-electric technology, in which GM lags, adds thousands.

"If you're GM, you can build a lot of these vehicles quickly if E85 is widely available," said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research, in Ann Arbor, Mich. "The Asian [manufacturers] aren't into it nearly as much, and potentially that is a competitive advantage for GM."

Potential encouraging

Though lauding the concept, David Friedman, director of the clean vehicles program for the Union of Concerned Scientists, was skeptical. "Show me the money. We won't know until it's up and running."

Still, Friedman said cellulosic ethanol has the potential to become 30 percent to 40 percent of transportation fuel. "It's exciting news that there is more potential technology coming out, and it's a good sign that GM also is investing in a company like this. But with a lot of things introduced at auto shows it's hard to tell the difference between potential and products."

Coskata initially will enlist partners experienced in running ethanol plants.

"We will essentially be the technical arm of partners that will operate the facilities," Roe said, comparing Coskata's processes to software that runs a computer.

His plan is to release new, more-productive bacteria strains every two to three years, as well as add products, such as butanol and propanol.

"We have a head start, we have an edge now, but you have to continue to innovate," he said, adding that the firm could go public after its technology is producing ethanol.

Long term, Roe said Coskata's technology and other processes could mean that municipal waste will be delivered to ethanol plants instead of landfills. "Waste can now be seen as useful for something else. Landfills can be dramatically minimized if not eliminated."

rpopely@tribune.com
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Time to dust off the old flux capacitor.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Here's another one:

GM and Coskata partner to bring transform the way ethanol is mass produced

At the General Motors section of the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) at Detroit, the biggest news wasn't cars -- it was fuel. GM unveiled and detailed its efforts to take Ethanol from a impractical technology into a viable alternative energy strategy. Not too long ago it looked like the end of ethanol fuel, with advent of a hungry microbial hydrogen production research effort, which promised better efficiency than current ethanol production.

The biggest current downside of current ethanol infrastructure is simply its source; current ethanol can only be produced using the chemical breakdown of sugar-laden crops, such as corn and sugar cane. This makes ethanol more expensive and extremely agriculture dependent. Most U.S. experts agree that the amount of land needed to grow enough sugar crops to power the nation's vehicles would be prohibitive. Microbial hydrogen currently has ethanol trumped on this count, as it can use anything from crop waste to household table scraps as a source of hydrogen.

Ethanol is down, but certainly not out. An advanced new approach, dubbed "cellulosic ethanol production," developed by Coskata Inc. located in Warrenville, Illinois promises to make ethanol cheaply and efficiently from virtually anything organic-based. The long list of possible sources include used tires, crop waste, sewage, household kitchen waste, yard waste etc.

GM, inspired by Coskata's innovation, announced a major partnership with firm last night. GM reportedly looked into as many as sixteen ethanol startups offering different processes, and picked Coskata as the winner. GM invested a small amount of equity to cement the relationship, and both firms are aggressively moving ahead to bring the technology to the market.

The alternative energy auto market is not unfamiliar ground for GM. The company showcased leading designs with its Provoq fuel cell concept, its Volt electric car, and its fleet of 100 fuel cell-equipped Equinox SUVs that are currently being deployed in California and New York.

In an interview with GM's Vice Chairman of Product Development, Bob Lutz, DailyTech was provided exclusive insight into exactly how this process works. Lutz, in response to DailyTech's question, began by stating, "All the other companies use enzymes, which are incredibly expensive. This has been a major stumbling block."

Lutz went on to detail how instead of enzymes -- which are tricky to mass produce and prohibitively expensive -- GM turned to nature. GM's approach starts rather traditionally by putting the various organic waste materials, such as tires, crops, crop waste and yard waste into a grinder. The remaining powder is then exposed to plasma, which causes the organic powder to ferment, releasing carbon-chain gas. It rises into the air where natural anaerobic bacteria eats the gas molecules and excretes ethanol and water vapor. This mixture then rises, and travels through a series of tubes with a separating membrane. The yield is pure water and pure ethanol.

"The bacteria are from nature so no patent was needed. And they reproduce on their own," Lutz explained, excitedly. The process, Lutz elaborated, is a down-to earth approach that does not use designer organisms or chemicals. Further it eliminates many steps in traditional or enzymatic processing, including the need for a centrifuge or still.

The process trumps traditional production in efficiency. Less than a third as much water is needed to produce a gallon of ethanol, which makes the process more affordable and easier to implement. Further an analysis of the process conducted at Argone National Laboratory reveals that for every unit of energy Coskata uses, it creates approximately 7.7 times as much energy, a ratio well above current tradition ethanol production.

Lutz emphasizes the importance of reducing reliance on foreign energy via ethanol fuel. He also explained that the move will take GM and other auto makers "out of the firing line" of accusations that they contribute to everything from "out-of-control global warming, to funding terrorism."

GM plans to aggressively fund Coskata and deploy the technology. While many alternative energy research technologies languish in the development phase, GM announced that a pilot plant will begin producing fuel before the close of 2008. By 2011 a full scale plant will come online, capable of producing 50 to 100 million gallons of ethanol a year. Such a plant would almost amount to 1% of the world's total ethanol production, including ethanol used for industrial sources.

The price per gallon to produce the fuel is approximately $1 per gallon, but Lutz stated that with Coskata profits, shipping, taxes, storage, and a retailer's cut, the fuel would likely raise the price to a still very affordable $2 per gallon.

Lutz said that while such a fuel would be very attractive to the consumer, the big hold up is the oil companies. He points out that while GM has sold 6 million flex-fuel vehicles in the U.S. capable of using ethanol, less than 1% of pumps in the U.S. are ethanol-equipped.

Will GM's new advanced ethanol process win out over hydrogen fuel cells and other efforts? With promises of mass production by the end of the year, and $2 per gallon fuel costs that don't dip into American agriculture, Coskata and GM might end up in the spotlight a lot in 2008.

http://www.dailytech.com/Cellulosic+...ticle10320.htm

I haven't read how Ethanol affects the CAFE standards. Anyone familiar with that?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 AM

It's an enormous loophole as I understand it. What runs on E85 automatically gets a CAFE rating of, like 40mpg or something like that? Or am I mistaken?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
So won't be long till we see cars powered by garbage like in Back to the Future II.
Actually, the car was still powered by gasoline. The flux capacitor was powered by Mr. Fusion which is where you put the garbage. The car still ran on gasoline. Remember part III where they were in the old west and the fuel line ripped and they had to push the car with the train 'cause there was no gas back then?

*Sorry, BTTF I,II,III are near the top of my favorite movies list
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

I see I'm not the only one that thought of Mr. Fusion when I saw this headline! Now where are those automatic adjusting Nikes and jacket from BTTF II? And I swear that movie predicted the existance of ricers. Just look at the stupid wing and body kit on Griff's Mustang!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM

This is nothing new. There are other companies out there doing the same thing. One is even doing this using everything within a typical wrecked car that is not currently recycled. (i.e. plastics, foam, etc.)
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
This is nothing new. There are other companies out there doing the same thing. One is even doing this using everything within a typical wrecked car that is not currently recycled. (i.e. plastics, foam, etc.)
Are they partnered with any car companies?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Are they partnered with any car companies?
Not sure. I saw it on "Future Car - The Fuel". I think I still have it DVR'd at home, so I can check out the company name later.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Not sure. I saw it on "Future Car - The Fuel". I think I still have it DVR'd at home, so I can check out the company name later.
That was a GREAT series, very informative. There was like, what, 3 parts? There was some cool stuff from GM in it.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
That was a GREAT series, very informative. There was like, what, 3 parts? There was some cool stuff from GM in it.
Yep. Four Parts: The Extremes, The Fuel, The Body and The Brain. I've only seen three of them.

http://shopping.discovery.com/produc...=40588004-14-0

Last edited by jg95z28; 01-17-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM

It sounds like Coskata has the Ethanol producion end pretty much figured out. They need to team up with Startech for the trash side of it and it will be a no brainer to produce lots of ethanol (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science...cbccdrcrd.html)

Startechs converter is not as limited about what you can put into it as Coskatas and the startech converter can also produce its own power as well as a surplus to sell back to the grid.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
I see I'm not the only one that thought of Mr. Fusion when I saw this headline! Now where are those automatic adjusting Nikes and jacket from BTTF II? And I swear that movie predicted the existance of ricers. Just look at the stupid wing and body kit on Griff's Mustang!
What about the flying cars?

Relax, we have seven more years to get all of that stuff.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

6.21 Gigawatt's!!

Quick Reply: GM to make biofuel out of garbage