Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM High Tech March 03

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Eternal Member

Unhappy GM High Tech March 03

Johnny Hunkins interviewed Mark Reuss who is the head of the GM Performance Division. Mr Reuss was ask is there a future for the Camaro and Firebird. Mr Reuss replyed you don't go out and say never. That 's very dangerous. But if you say we are looking at it then everyone says alright we are doing it. Mr Reuss went on to say right now we are not actively working on it. Johnny Hu nkins went on to ask. It's not closer to one or the other. Mr Reuss replyed no it not. We are not studying it. That's were we are at right now. This leads me to think that it takes at least 24 months to bring a car to production. If that is the case I don't think there is a chance of seeing a 2005 F/body. Not trying to start a war just passing along what was in the mag.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:42 PM

Maybe they have a Camaro concept for January -Feb?
if not I will be very, very dissapointed
Old 12-19-2002, 09:09 PM

I think most peole already realized by now that a 2005 Camaro was impossible.

2004 models start coming out in January of 03.
24 months is very optomistic and is probably closer to 36 months.

Still, very disheartning to hear GM isn't even looking at the idea. I'd say 2007 earliest (an 2006 release) They do have alot of things going on with new models debuting. Maybe when some of that is done they will look at the feasbility of an F-5. Guess they can't do everything at once
Old 12-19-2002, 09:11 PM

Talking LOL... they can only keep this up for so long...

Don't worry, "Keep the faith"

"We'll be there"

"Performance is not dead at GM"
Old 12-19-2002, 09:23 PM

anybody have this issue yet?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:50 PM

Did you see the part where he said "We can't say if we're looking into it, because then everyone jumps in and says "alright, they're doing it!""?

If they weren't looking into it at all, don't you think he would have just said "No"?

It kinda makes it sound like they ARE looking into it, they just don't want to say that in case it doesn't pan out.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by newby
Did you see the part where he said "We can't say if we're looking into it, because then everyone jumps in and says "alright, they're doing it!""?

If they weren't looking into it at all, don't you think he would have just said "No"?

It kinda makes it sound like they ARE looking into it, they just don't want to say that in case it doesn't pan out.
See, this is reading into things. His statement may be taken either way, and even out of it we can make a big case for "YES, THEY ARE MAKING IT", despite that he suggested we don't.

Don't raise your expectations and get disappointed later. Probably they will introduce the Camaro, but not anytime soon IMO.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:14 PM

Re: LOL... they can only keep this up for so long...

Originally posted by WERM

"We'll be there"

Your right...........we should all get Mustangs.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:20 PM

I hope they get that high perf hydrogen fuel cell worked out in time for the next Camaro.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 PM

they just barely stopped manufacturing the camaro and it seems that the camaro community is pressuring GM hard, but i think they would look stupid(not to us of course) if they stopped making a model and then started again the very next year...but then again, i didn't exactly think them stop making them was a smart idea.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:04 PM

I take it you guys have this new issue....

anybody want to scan the cover for me.....

There is a blue car on the cover im told, that im kinda partial too....

im still waiting on my copy.....

thanks ahead of time....

scott
Old 12-19-2002, 11:10 PM

Its got a red camaro too w/ white racing stripes and some aftermarket hood thing that doesn't fit well on it.

As for that article, I just read it a few hours ago, and from what I gathered, I don't think we will see a 5th Gen concept at Detroit/LA because he really sounded like they were not working on anything.

I think its great that there is performance in GM's future, and frankly, thats the least that there should be, just in order to keep up with the competition. But I don't care about all that, I just want a fawking Camaro w/ a close HP range to the Vette. Damnit.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Its got a red camaro too w/ white racing stripes and some aftermarket hood thing that doesn't fit well on it.

As for that article, I just read it a few hours ago, and from what I gathered, I don't think we will see a 5th Gen concept at Detroit/LA because he really sounded like they were not working on anything.
actually i love Bob dalton's hood....

http://www.abrinoperformanceengineer...VER%20SHOT.jpg
Old 12-20-2002, 12:49 AM

"We'll be there"

LOL, they can only keep this up for so long
...Spoken like a true cynic... how inspirational you are

I've got the issue, just got it in the mail yesterday... overall I get the impression MR did not want to reveal a lot in his interview and I'm fine with that. He spoke a lot of generalities. He didn't even discuss the non-extended cab Silverado SS when pressed about the ext. cab being slower than a Lightning... AFAIK the reg cab version is destined for production but he didn't feel compelled to defend every last little thing GM is bringing out. I believe this is because he is confident GM has enough in the pipeline to keep people happy. For example, a 220-hp Cavalier SS Plus he didn't mention the new Saturn coupe being souped up. Or the GTO. There are simply too many products to mention! Performance dead... indeed. NOT. Some Mustang owners living in such denial will face a rude awakening at the hands of 2004 GTO owners

As for his Camaro comments... I'm not surprised, I think if a 2005 production Camaro was in the works we'd already have heard about it. But I also believe that if GM really had no intention of bringing it back, they and MR would shut the door fairly hard on such questions as were posed in the article and instead MR would have unequivocally steered the reading audience to whatever GM would think people would buy instead. He would have said something like "...you know, enthusiasts who would have bought a Camaro will likely be buying our new supercharged Monte Carlo SS and the SSR... the Camaro is a formula which no longer fits the needs of our buyers... blah blah." He would have been trying to "steer" Camaro intenders to something else. Instead he was essentially saying "we do not intend to toss the Camaro name and design elements, we just don't have one in the development pipeline at this instant". And don't forget, that pipeline is not as long as it used to be, ESPECIALLY if another vehicle is leveraged, eg the Monaro, in the development.

One other thing MR confirmed, bringing me some relief, was that the Road&Track cartoons of their impression of the C6 Vette was pretty far off the mark. Hooray! That thing was horrid.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Eternal Member

385LT1 I have it but don't have a scanner. Sorry. The cavalier with 220 HP no thanks. The Imp SS with 375 HP is front wheel drive so again no thanks. A350 HP 1500 ext cab SS is nice but its not a muscle car so again no thanks. I would have to see and drive the new GTO so I don't know. I have seen the 05 Mustang and that is very sweet. I am a Fbody guy and I will stay with them for a long time. I have a 87 IROC with a Lingenfelter motor that I purchased new and is still in like new condition. I also have a 96 WS6 Formula that is like new. As long as I don't total one I guess I will be driving them until they plant me. I guess the GTO may have to be my daily driver when they come out. Unless they come out with a rear drive that is along the lines of a f/body no matter what they call it.

Quick Reply: GM High Tech March 03