Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

GM to bid on Proton Group...think Lotus

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:35 PM

I also recall Lotus engineering having a hand in the development of certain ECOTEC applications as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
I also recall Lotus engineering having a hand in the development of certain ECOTEC applications as well.
Lotus provided calibration and engineering support on the Time of Attack Cobalt SS . Not sure if they had any hand in the production engine.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by guionM
General Motors has OWNED Lotus before.

They bought Lotus in '86 and sold it in 93 to Bugatti to raise cash after the Roger Smith years.

As for Proton, they're sold in Australia, and are very stylish little cars. I don't know a thing about how well made they are, but they are pretty sharp for a cheap econobox.
I thought so. I don't see a problem with them buying it back, so long as it's not anything like the fiat fiasco!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:42 AM

georgejetson pointed out the LT5 was Lotus designed, and the Isuzu (also part of GM) Impulse has Lotus tuned suspension. But I also recall them doing some tweaks in versions of early 90s Commodore sedan suspensions for GM-Holden.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by R377
So is GM "buying low" and picking up a bargain, like Daewoo? Or are they saddling themselves with another underperforming turkey, like Saab?

This isn't about Lotus, really. It's about Proton. Proton has some state-of-the-art production facilities in Malaysia. I think GM has some idea of turning Proton and their nice factories into their Far East parts production experts. Another possible consideration is that they may want more vehicle production capability for the Chinese market but don't want to put any more plants in China, given how much fun the Chinese government can be.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by georgejetson
This isn't about Lotus, really. It's about Proton. Proton has some state-of-the-art production facilities in Malaysia. I think GM has some idea of turning Proton and their nice factories into their Far East parts production experts. Another possible consideration is that they may want more vehicle production capability for the Chinese market but don't want to put any more plants in China, given how much fun the Chinese government can be.
I was referring to Proton, not Lotus. Lotus is a very small (albeit high profile) part of Proton and I don't think they figure very substantially into GM's desire for Proton.

My question was in response the article flowmotion posted that said Proton's sales were declining and its losses increasing. GM certainly doesn't need another financial black hole or management distraction at this time.

I wonder if GM has another motive, even if they would never admit it: including Proton's sales under GM's umbrella might just be enough to prevent Toyota from taking global sales leadership this year. I don't know what Proton's sales are, although I do recall seeing a video on their state-of-the-art production facility and its capacity was a typical auto plant's 250-300k per year. That would probably be enough to keep GM on top for 2007 at least.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by R377
I wonder if GM has another motive, even if they would never admit it: including Proton's sales under GM's umbrella might just be enough to prevent Toyota from taking global sales leadership this year
This is an interesting theory.

Originally Posted by bossco
Okay you got me, I forgot about the submersible Esprit
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Does not the Lotus Elise have an Ecotec in Europe? I know it is a Toyota motor here.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM

I believe GM was selling a Lotus-built and designed model under the Opel nameplate in Europe and maybe other parts of the world until 2005. Not sure why they quit.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I believe GM was selling a Lotus-built and designed model under the Opel nameplate in Europe and maybe other parts of the world until 2005. Not sure why they quit.
According to Opel's web site for Italy, they still do. It's called the Speedster.

http://www.opel.it/action/go?cntryCd...r&nav=showroom

Good looking car IMO.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
According to Opel's web site for Italy, they still do. It's called the Speedster.

http://www.opel.it/action/go?cntryCd...r&nav=showroom

Good looking car IMO.
Might be leftovers.

Either that or wikipedia is wrong because it talks as though production stopped at some point in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Speedster
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM

GM wasn't afraid to utilize Lotus' expertise in the past. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this go around wouldn't be any different. But I too think that might just be a footnote to the larger picture. The Asia market is growing, and this is a perfect opportunity to get an even stronger foothold.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Lotus supposedly had a great valve system for the LT5 that would have raised horsepower to 475hp. Doug Rippie came out with a 475hp system but I would like to see how lotus was going to do it. It would be nice to see them team up again.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM

ya opel had the opel speedster, and vauxhall had the vx220
i think the speedster is suppose to continue on the kappa platform as a rebadged sky
edit nevermind they are calling it the opel gt

Last edited by VladimirSteel; 01-18-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 PM

The contract with GM was up, Lotus decided to use that extra capacity to start exporting the Elise to the US. The plant where it is built in England has a capacity of only around 10,000 units. Lotus would be a very nice addition for GM.

Quick Reply: GM to bid on Proton Group...think Lotus