Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

General Motors Says Orders for Camaro Sports Cars Outrun Supply

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Because us dealers are being greedy *** bastards and selling them at the auction for over MSRP

I watched a $27,500 MSRP 1LT go for $30,300 last week, and a $40,700 2SS go for $45,900...no joke.
My dad's a dealer too. He saw 5 this week at the auction after one SS brought $45k last week. The SS's are bringing $3-5k over MSRP and the V6's are bringing $2-3k.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:47 PM

One local dealer has 9 on their lot right now.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
When you look at the overall makeup of the automotive population on the road, the bulk is utility and appliance type vehicles. Unfortunately, that's what "the people" want. It doesn't mean they all have to be boring, but the Camaro is a minority as a vehicle. The bulk of sales is in appliances and general transportation.

Here in Seattle, it appears some Camaros are still sitting on dealer lots. I'm not sure if it's the overall economy, or ridiculous 2nd stickers, or what the deal is...
There are plenty of people with those appliance cars that also want a car like this, it's just not practical for them. Those that buy cheap, good MPG appliances would never pay over sticker or rush to order before even seeing the car in person. They don't create the type of excitement that this car has and has had in the past. THIS IS what American cars should be about and used to be about. Great designs, power, and value for the dollar. I do agree that the new Camaro SS is decently expensive, but they are selling way over sticker and cannot be kept in stock. I saw a $35,000 SS sell for $42,000 at my local dealer. Again, you'll never see this for some regular econo car. Buying a new car should be something you really want and an emotional decision. If the prices were lower there would really be no supply at all.

The car might not be perfect, but it stands for all that the US car market should be. The last time GM had a frenzy of people buying "fun cars" ironically, was the 3rd Gen. There is no excuse not to make a RWD Impala and give the public what they want. The Malibu can handle the FWD market. That car is also desperately in need of an update and the G8 is a vacant open slot that's perfect for the car. Style it correctly and it would probably outsell all the previous FWD Impalas with ease. Excitement sells cars and that's what we need back, the Camaro is undeniable proof of this.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Just to change the subject a little (that never happens on a thread, right?)...I've seen and sat in quite a few Camaros the past month or so.

Yesterday is the first time ever that I popped open the trunk of one.

My instant thought??......."You have gotta be frigging kidding me!!!"

Car and Driver compared putting something into the trunk with shoving baggage through a mail slot.

I thought they were just trying to be funny... they were actually serious!

That has got to be the smallest trunk opening I've ever seen in any passenger car!

What gives?!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:37 AM

I want to see a headline that reads

"GM Has 180 Day Supply Of Camaros" this time next year when gas is back up to $4.00 and the best car at the worst time: Camaro was reborn.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I want to see a headline that reads

"GM Has 180 Day Supply Of Camaros" this time next year when gas is back up to $4.00 and the best car at the worst time: Camaro was reborn.
There was never a 180 day supply of Mustangs when gas was $4 a gallon.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Just to change the subject a little (that never happens on a thread, right?)...I've seen and sat in quite a few Camaros the past month or so.

Car and Driver compared putting something into the trunk with shoving baggage through a mail slot.

That has got to be the smallest trunk opening I've ever seen in any passenger car!

What gives?!
Because the car is so big they wanted to give people something to call small.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

What gives?!
I was looking at mustang and camaro side-by-side pics for size comparisons and found this yesterday.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
slt

Well, maybe it will be good for stereos. Less trunk lid to rattle. How you would get everything in there is beyond me, though.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
I was looking at mustang and camaro side-by-side pics for size comparisons and found this yesterday.

WOW!

That's just.....there's something wrong there. For the Camaro have that "big" of a trunk opening (something people use almost daily) is inexcusable.

Give it 'til 2011 and it's done.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM

WOW!

That's just.....there's something wrong there. For the Camaro have that "big" of a trunk opening (something people use almost daily) is inexcusable.

thats the mustang. the camaros even worse.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:19 PM

The space is decent at 11.3cubic ft (same as my wrx sedan), but the opening is shockingly small. I haven't seen it in person yet. I wonder what the owners think as far as usability.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM

WOW!

For an editor of a GM news site you sure are supportive. What would you be taking out of there that would be too big for the opening, yet need daily? Certainly not a briefcase. Only Tiger needs his clubs everyday.

I would say the opening was kept that small to keep the big swooping quarter panels. Everyone wants manufacturers to keep to their prototypes, yet when they do people complain about any compromises in design. A body line on those quarters would have no doubt looked horrendous but may have had a weird design inorder to seal it.

Wonderful so the only good thing about the back end of the Mustang and you can't even see it.

Last edited by super83Z; 06-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM

WOW!

My, my that is a small opening and one would struggle to pack a picnic basket of any size in there. I have no idea why the opening would be so small? It's inexcusable in this day and age... but then again the GTO's (Monaro's) boot wasn't anything to write home about and it didn't exactly hurt that car's reputation in a big way.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Ive seen it in person and didn't feel it was outta line, especially since there is adequate space and fold down seats. The car is based on keepin design a priority, things have to take a backseat sometimes.

Quick Reply: General Motors Says Orders for Camaro Sports Cars Outrun Supply