Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Ford Shelby GT tested by Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

MSRP of the GT500 is about 40K. Z06 is about $76K plus.

Most dealers seem to be charging about 60 grand for a GT500 and about 90 large for the Z06.
You can get Z's here for a grand or 2 under sticker. You need to move from Kalifornia .
Old 04-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
You can get Z's here for a grand or 2 under sticker. You need to move from Kalifornia .
But I'm confused, where exactly is the state of confusion? They are going for 90k here in NN Va also - Although somebody Va Beach side might see the m lower??????
Old 04-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Dallas/Ft Worth, lots of competition here, that probably has something to do w/ it. Dealers here have them even sitting outside in the rain w/ the mere mortal C6's!! If you're serious about buying, most if not all of the supporting dealers on corvetteforum.com will give you a bit off sticker for a Z06 too, except on the Ron Fellows car.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 PM

If you're serious about buying, most if not all of the supporting dealers on corvetteforum.com will give you a bit off sticker for a Z06 too, except on the Ron Fellows car.
Thats actually something good to know, not that I ever see myself in the market for a vette before I'm to old to really enjoy it, but one never knows.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:31 PM

http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp

3/36k if you have them installed by Ford
Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Does anyone know if you buy the same performance enhancing stuff from Ford Racing that is on the Shelby, does it void the GT warranty?

In the Car and Driver article it did actually say that installing some of the Shelby upgrades that you buy yourself for your regular GT WILL void your warranty. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warra..._STATEMENT.pdf

The way I read it, if you have the perf paks installed by the dealer, you do not incur a loss of warranty on either side of the install - the perf paks come with a 3/36 warranty when installed on vehicles with less than 12k on the clock.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM

Bossco, just curious, but do you understand the quote in your sig? Or do you believe that Toyota DID build their reputation on sporty stylish cars?

/threadjack
Old 05-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2lane69
Bossco, just curious, but do you understand the quote in your sig? Or do you believe that Toyota DID build their reputation on sporty stylish cars?

/threadjack
He has a at the end of it. So, he definitely questions the quote.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang

I have an understanding of the Mustang crowd. I was part of the Mustang crowd. It isn't that much different than the Camaro crowd.
I don't think he was talking about redneck kids cruising up and down is their beat up Fox bodies (no, I'm not talking about you) but the people who buy these cars new as his example. I was part of the scene starting about 1991 until just 2 years ago, it is a totally different feel with everything compared to the F-body. I'm on my 4th F-body right now and it is just not the same.
When Ford tried to cancel the Mustang the Mustang enthusiasts were directly responsible for stopping it from happening. When the F twins died the was barely a whimper. Do you think they would publish about a dozen monthly magazines for the Mustang with every sort of mod and generation imaginable if the following was not like Guy said?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 PM

I was a camaro guy till about 7 years ago when my new wife got me into stangs.I still love camaro's and all american muscle.The funny thing I noticed with the mustang people is that I get waves and "hey,nice stang"comments.I never got that with my camaro's.My wife gets stopped all the time with the Roush.A cop stopped her and asked her to show it to him-then he went to our dealer and bought a GT.Its quite a following the mustang has.Its not all about horsepower or handling,its about the mustang legend,heritage and fun to own aspects.Thats why its going so strongly still.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2lane69

/threadjack

I'm tempted to say not in my lifetime, but I've been alive for the Supra, MR2, and Celica in its various incarnation and possibly the 2000GT, but beyond those I nothing sticks as sporty and stylish. When I think Toyota, now I think - Camry, Avalon, Prius, Yaris, Cressida, and the various Toyota trucks.

Toyota could come out with some sort of Veyron destroyer and I still wouldn'y think of Toyota as having built stylish and sporty cars - dependable basic transportation = classic toyota
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Move from California to a State Of Confusion? I'll pass.

At any rate, when you compare anything, you MUST have a consistant yardstick or it's all just garbage. Doesn't matter if you're talking about performance, acceleration, handling, or price.

The MSRP is what is the gold standard. It's what the people who make the car feel is a good price for the general public and what dealers go by. Prices vary with area, time of year, regional incentives, availability, or pressure from the company.

Fact stands that for the sticker price of a Corvette Z06, I can get a GT500.... and still have enough left over to get a brand new 2007 Cadillac CTS with a few options thrown in!

Suddenly, the price of a Z06 and the value of the GT500 comes into very clear focus.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 PM

While I wouldnt pay that much for that car, there are plenty of Mustang enthusasts that will. I agree with those that say the Mustang crowd is different than the Camaro crowd.

In my buddy's Mustang, he'll get waves from other 'stangs, strike up conversations with other stang owners at the gas station, etc etc. Meanwhile, you wave or flash a thumbs up at another Camaro owner (unless they're riding in a 1st or 2nd gen that is bc those boys are TRUE Camaro fans) who is driving a 3rd or 4th gen most of the time you get a look.

Hell most of the time its the Corvette guys that'll actually comment on the Camaro. And thats where I think Mustang's parallel is. Corvette fans are a COMPLETELY different breed from Camaro fans. At Corvette shows, those guys truly worship their cars and can spit out build numbers and other Vette facts. Makes sense being both cars are their respective companys' halo cars and limited edition models, colors, etc are handed to both those models yearly.

Heres to hoping Chevrolet/GM will give Camaro some of the royal treatment the Corvette receives and maybe in a few years the Mustang boards will be talking about the Camaro nuts that paid 60k for a special edition F-body
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

You just KNOW what's going to happen to the value of these cars when Mr Shelby buys the farm, right?
Are you kidding me? That guy's going to outlive us all. Anyone remember that episode where SVT built that Cobra Concept and let him take a spin in it. One minute he's driving like a grandpa, the next he's whipping donuts better than half the people on this board.

Quick Reply: Ford Shelby GT tested by Car & Driver