Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Firebird? yes I said it..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM

Firebird? yes I said it..

also predict that you will tell me in no uncertain terms whether you agree with that assessment, and I further predict I will read a lot of posts with the word "Firebird" in them. Love that enthusiasm!

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...ople.html#more

wtf?!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM

Re: Firebird? yes I said it..

I hear you bro. Why bring up a "Dead issue" Why not talk about the GTO?

Im still holding out hope.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
I'm not going to tell you that Camaro is happening because the blogosphere demanded it; that would be disingenuous....But I will tell you that the enthusiasm shown for Camaro in this forum is a shining and prominent example of the passion that exists for this automobile...

I further predict I will read a lot of posts with the word "Firebird" in them. Love that enthusiasm!
I dunno, he says that they aren't bringing Camaro back because of 'enthusiasm.' He then justs mentions that he will probably hear about Firebird, and cites that as an example of enthusiasm for a vehicle.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 08-11-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:18 PM

That seems like an unecessary jab. I guess he was trying to acknowledge that they are aware Firebird isn't being produced. That didnt seem all that tactful though.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 PM

the chicken is prolly in some pipe line somewhere
Old 08-10-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I dunno, he says that they aren't bringing Camaro back because of 'enthusiasm.' He then justs mentions that he will probably here about Firebird, and cites that as an example of enthusiasm for a vehicle.
Erm, where does he say this?

He basically said it wasn't being brought back because a bunch of people in blogs told him to. Obviously if there wasn't enthusiasm all over the place for the Camaro, it would not be being brought back.

I just don't see how you get what you say from him saying the blogosphere enthusiasm isn't what brought the Camaro back. The blogosphere isn't the whole world, or even the whole internet...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM

I noticed his use of the word "enthusiasm" in his blog also. I say build the T/A also. Make it just like this one http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...g_Firebird.jpg

I seen even some mustang guys say they like the T/A photoshop pics better than the Camaro
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sharker524
Erm, where does he say this?

He basically said it wasn't being brought back because a bunch of people in blogs told him to. Obviously if there wasn't enthusiasm all over the place for the Camaro, it would not be being brought back.
Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
I'm not going to tell you that Camaro is happening because the blogosphere demanded it; that would be disingenuous.
Right there.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bbqz28
I noticed his use of the word "enthusiasm" in his blog also. I say build the T/A also. Make it just like this one http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...g_Firebird.jpg

I seen even some mustang guys say they like the T/A photoshop pics better than the Camaro

If you want that, then I suggest finding somebody that can make you the replacement nose and hood, other than those two things, it's a Camaro. To break down what he said in his blog: He predicts that with the definite return of the Camaro that he will be hearing even more people sending him messages on bringing back the Firebird. He was already being sent messages when the Camaro was uncertain, but he'll get more now. "if the camaro can be produced, then why not the firebird?" Where he says "love the enthusiasm..." well, there's not much more to that.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bbqz28
I gotta say I do too
Old 08-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by twocamaros
the chicken is prolly in some pipe line somewhere
I have 2 resources for you to check out:

1st: "Contrary to rumors, however, Lutz said General Motors is not planning to revive the Pontiac Firebird. "No, that's not something we are planning. We are not going to do that car," he said."...... Bob Lutz at the Geneva Auto Show (Autoweek article, but can be viewed here: http://www.cactusgto.com/PITNews03-02-06.php )

2nd: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462847
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM

From this article in automotive news http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60810005/1111 (sub may be required)

John Larson, GM's general manager of Pontiac-Buick-GMC, says he intends to push for a Chevrolet Camaro-type product for Pontiac, possibly to replace the GTO. Pontiac will kill the GTO at the end of this model year. But company insiders have said Pontiac will not get a Firebird.
So the Firebird has both supporters and naysayers within the walls of GM, just like the Camaro did. At least we now know that we've got an inside man advocating the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM

I think the Firebird name MAY come back, but not on a car that's a mechanical twin to the Camaro (think, smaller (3-series-sized) RWD, possibly AWD coupe/sedan). The Saab 9-2 (a/k/a Saabaru) was originally supposed to be a Saturn, per John Sawruk (GM retiree, involved with the original GTO - heard this right from his mouth at the GTOAA Nations in Louisville back in July)...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Yeah I think the only hope is a car not on the Camaros platform.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:10 PM

A poor choice of words on Lutz's part - nothing more in my estimation.

I'm firmly in the "not gonna happen" camp on this one.

Though, I wouldn't mind being wrong.