Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:24 AM

Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!

I've spent the past couple of days piecing together everything available on the upcoming Dodge Charger...and here it is.

-Yes, it will be called Charger.

-It's base versions will replace the Intrepid and compete with Camry, Ford 500, and Chevy Impala.

-It will be built at the Brampton assembly plant in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, with the other LX's. Brampton has a capacity of over 237,000 units annually. (On two shifts).

-The production Charger will debut at next year's NAIAS.

-There may be ..(just maybe), a Charger Police Package "Enforcer" Conceptat the New York show next month....or, maybe not.

-Charger will share the the LX platform...but will NOT share any sheet metal with Magnum and 300.

- Some aspects of the 1999 Charger Concept...especially the back half....are a good preview of the production Charger.

-Charger will be a four door, (probably 4 conventional doors), but Dodge is not calling it a sedan....they are calling it a coupe. Those who have seen it, describe it as being very "sporty" and have called it " very swoopy".

-Charger will be available right around this time next year.

-It will share engines with the other LX cars...2.7, 3.5.....but the one we're most interested in, is the 5.7 HEMI....which will be in the Charger R/T.

-A rumored Charger SRT-8 will have the new 6.1 "super" Hemi.

-A limited edition Charger Daytona is rumored for next year. These are the rumored specifics:

"DODGE DAYTONA MODEL

Built from: Dodge Charger RT
Estimated Volume:1,000 - 5,000 units
Orders Taken:Feb. 2005 at Daytona 500 Race
Production Launch April 4,2005

Available Colors: Orange Blast
Metallic Red

Exterior Details:
Spoiler, Rear Decklid
Custom Exhaust Tips
5.7L Hemi Decal on Hood
Hood Louvers
Unique Grille/Hood Color (Black)
Painted Brake Calipers
Black-out Rear Fascia
Fascia/Side Sill Ground Effects
Interior:
Two-tone Leather Seats
Body-color IP Trim Rings and Center Stack Bezel
Racing Style Aluminum Brake/Accelerator Pedals
Model Name/Numbered Plate - Petty Signature
Subwoofer
Illuminated Sill Plate - Dodge Daytona

Functional:
20" Wheels and Tires (Magnum)
HID/Projector Headlamps
Aggressive Shift Schedule
Engine Cover - Hemi Orange
"Image" Sound Exhaust System"

-So far, it looks like Charger will only be available with a 5 speed auto.

-It may also have available AWD....lifted directly from the Mercedes E-Class.

That is all.......

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-11-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:41 AM

Not 2 doors, not interested. It's supposed to be a Charger. They wanna call a 4 door a coupe? Riiiight!

Any news on a 2 door Challenger version at all?

Last edited by IZ28; 03-11-2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:23 AM

Re: Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!

Originally posted by Z284ever
-So far, it looks like Charger will only be available with a 5 speed auto.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:40 AM

That would sound like a direct competition to the GP in terms of styling (a coupe like 4 door), and a direct overall competitor if the next gen GP goes RWD.

The Hemi and 5 speed auto I think will be a very attractive package for this segment. I hate it like everyone else, but autos are more popular than sticks in a majority of markets now, as well are sedans over coupes.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 AM

I thought I read somewhere about a 2-door version carrying the name Challenger. I guess it could work - having a 4-door Charger and a 2-door Challenger, though I think it should be the other way around.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:16 AM

the Srt-8 sounds pretty promising
Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM

I don't know why they wouldn't just call a 2door version a Charger as well. Unless, of course, it was a completely different car.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 AM

Not 2 doors? Not interested. I don't have a family and my friends all know how to push the seatback forward.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by centric
Not 2 doors? Not interested. I don't have a family and my friends all know how to push the seatback forward.
I can understand where you're coming from.

But....if you do have a family, and are in need of a new driver.....this could be the perfect, practical muscle car.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:54 AM

[B-Charger will be a four door, (probably 4 conventional doors), but Dodge is not calling it a sedan....they are calling it a coupe. Those who have seen it, describe it as being very "sporty" and have called it " very swoopy".
[/B]

So, is this the coupe I've been told about (from actually inside the company!) for the past couple of years???
Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 AM

[B]-A rumored Charger SRT-8 will have the new 6.1 "super" Hemi.
For Marketing purposes that would be a great name for the 6.1L "SUPER HEMI"
Old 03-11-2004, 11:46 AM

I have no problem with 4 doors, depending on how they are executed...Man, how did DCX slip this under our noses without anyone noticing years ago?

if it's built on the 300 platform (the 300 is about 4000 lbs) does that mean the charger will have a similar weight, making it even heavier than the GTO?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!

Originally posted by guionM
So, is this the coupe I've been told about (from actually inside the company!) for the past couple of years???
I'm not 100% sure. Is there a 2 door coupe coming down the road? There are some very wild rumors that Plymouth will return by 2007.....and the coupe will be the 'Cuda. I'm not sure that I believe that though.

One thing that is true though....those who are prototyping the Charger's body panels....continuously refer to the 4 door Charger as "the coupe".

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-11-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaait wait wait wait.............. Their calling this 4-door car a coupe? Is it just because its a Charger? I don't get it....Isn't having 2 doors one of the definitions of 'coupe'??
Old 03-11-2004, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!

I'm not 100% sure. Is there a 2 door coupe coming down the road? There are some very wild rumors that Plymouth will return by 2007.....and the coupe will be the 'Cuda. I'm not sure that I believe that though.

One thing that is true though....those who are prototyping the Charger's body panels....continuously refer to the 4 door Charger as "the coupe".
I was privvy to alot of Chrysler's upcoming vehicles about 5 years ago before Daimler shut them down. One of these were a coupe that was to be in the same market as Camaro & Mustang.

What was holding the coupe up initially was the then replacements for the LH cars. Chrysler planned to go RWD on Intrepid and 300 even before Daimler bought them out. When the LX cars moved forward again, things also moved forward on the coupe as well.

When I did my story last year, the coupe was still alive and even had something resembling a business plan. It was going to cost somewhat more than a Mustang, be marketed above the Mustang in price, but would have some seriously strong performance. The (then) SRT-8 would have been in the mid to upper 30K range, and would be behind the Viper in performance.

With word now that Chrysler is calling this car a "coupe" (seems it's going to have rear doors similar to Saturn's ION "coupe"), I'm wondering if this is the same car that they have been working on, since last September I was told the coupe was back on again & headed for production (while Chrysler recently said there was no market for a 2 door.... but still uses the word "coupe").

I think I was the subject of a little wordplay.

Quick Reply: Every Charger rumor and tid bit in the universe, right here!