Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

"The ES330 doesn't offer a V8 at ANY price point" - Lucerne commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 PM

Re: "The ES330 doesn't offer a V8 at ANY price point" - Lucerne commercial

Originally Posted by Threxx
You've managed to find the ONLY source that I've ever seen that rates the performance of the Lucerne ahead of the Avalon. Were you looking hard for one that made the Lucerne look good or what?

Even Buick quotes the 0-60 time for the Lucerne V8 as 7.6 seconds.

Avalon V6: 0-60 in 6.13, 1/4-mile in 14.76 @ 96.66
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...a/model/Avalon

Lucerne V8: 0-60 in 7.51, 1/4-mile in 15.71 @ 92.66
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports.../model/Lucerne

In fact even that autos.com website lists 6.1 for the '05 but magically they got slower for 06? SAEII ratings might have decreased hp ratings a bit on the avalon, but they shouldn't have decreased performance, too.
4mph difference in trap speeds != 1 second difference in et. Sounds like they spun the hell out of the lucerne, which would even more dramatically show up in 0-60, which it did.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
4mph difference in trap speeds != 1 second difference in et. Sounds like they spun the hell out of the lucerne, which would even more dramatically show up in 0-60, which it did.
You are too used to comparing two similar cars like two Camaros or Corvettes. One of these cars is FWD and one is RWD. One is a 5spd and one is a 6spd. Their powerbands and gearing are pretty drastically different.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 PM

You are too used to comparing two similar cars like two Camaros or Corvettes. One of these cars is FWD and one is RWD. One is a 5spd and one is a 6spd. Their powerbands and gearing are pretty drastically different.
Which one is rwd? And the Lucerne has a 4 speed...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
Which one is rwd? And the Lucerne has a 4 speed...
Sorry I was on the phone when I wrote that, discussing the terms of a large check I was writing out of my personal account so I probably wasn't thinking too well.... buuuut my premise stands that comparing MPH to ET is generally only effective if the two cars are the same model or very similar designs.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:44 PM

.... buuuut my premise stands that comparing MPH to ET is generally only effective if the two cars are the same model or very similar designs.
Right....the guy who was nothing but excuses about the lackluster performance of his lexus hot rod is suddenly an expert on what is and isn't comparable.

Especially convenient that you're able to dismiss the times of one source that has them running comparable times, yet SURE that the out of whack numbers make sense, with nothing to back up the assertion except, well, your total lack of experience with cars on a dragstrip.

This is why magazine/spec racing is dumb. Inevitably, the guy who knows the least will pull the most from his *** to win.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
Right....the guy who was nothing but excuses about the lackluster performance of his lexus hot rod is suddenly an expert on what is and isn't comparable.
Huh? My Lexus ran a 14.7 @ 97. The mags said 14.1 @ 99-100. I said almost every car at my track runs slower than mag times on average. That's not a bunch of excuses, that's one fact. What does that have anything to do with the subject at hand?

Especially convenient that you're able to dismiss the times of one source that has them running comparable times, yet SURE that the out of whack numbers make sense, with nothing to back up the assertion except, well, your total lack of experience with cars on a dragstrip.
Dismiss the times? I simply said that is the first and only time I've seen the same source quote the Lucerne as being quicker than the Avalon. Even that same source a year earlier quoted the Avalon as being faster when nothing changed power-wise. Period, end of story. Do you have a hard time with reading comprehension or are you just trying to read too far into what I'm saying?

I didn't say I'm SURE the out of whack numbers make sense, I just said the spread between ET and MPH commonly varies between different cars to the point it's pretty hard to be SURE that one car burned out off the line and they still decided to use that number. Thus I'm saying "you can't be sure about that when comparing one model of car to another".

This is why magazine/spec racing is dumb. Inevitably, the guy who knows the least will pull the most from his *** to win.
Yeah, that's me... I know the least. It's not just magazine times I'm referring to... BUICK THEMSELVES cites the V8 Lucerne as running 0-60 in 7.6 seconds. Is that a magazine? I think not.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:43 PM

I have long ago forgotten the whole point of this thread.

Wait, I never understood it to begin with.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson

That's what happens to my threads, most often, here. People nit-pick my threads (and my posts in other threads for that matter), trying to find the hidden import agenda and then disprove it.

I simply made one primary observation: buick is focusing on the motor in this car despite the motor supposedly being a very low concern on the target audience lucerne buyers. My comment toward the end was that I'd find the commercials ironic if they continued the ad targeted at the ES350 simply because the Lucerne would be outperformed even if it did have 2 more cylinders.

I think the second comment is the one people took the most offense to since Buick isn't the first to advertise half the fact for marketing reasons... I guess I didn't realize that invalidated my comment for any reason... but apparently you can only make comments about something if it's something we've never seen a manufacturer do before in the history of marketing.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 PM

That's what happens to my threads, most often, here. People nit-pick my threads (and my posts in other threads for that matter), trying to find the hidden import agenda and then disprove it.
I dont have any beef with you , this is just a obsevation . Maybe its because you do the same thing man in alot ways . No matter what the topic is , a lexus comparison , or a lexus plug seems to work it way into any topic . Your entitled to your opinions dude , but continualy fail to realized this is a site comprised of mainly gearheads with a big honkin slant toward American modes of transportation . How would I be viewed if I went to Lexus forum and judged the world by GM ? The outcome would be FAR WORSE than the treatment you get here .
Old 02-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I dont have any beef with you , this is just a obsevation . Maybe its because you do the same thing man in alot ways . No matter what the topic is , a lexus comparison , or a lexus plug seems to work it way into any topic . Your entitled to your opinions dude , but continualy fail to realized this is a site comprised of mainly gearheads with a big honkin slant toward American modes of transportation . How would I be viewed if I went to Lexus forum and judged the world by GM ? The outcome would be FAR WORSE than the treatment you get here .
Funny you mention that... I don't hang out on the Lexus forums nearly as much but often times when I do I defend GM; I tend to play the devil's advocate, especially when there's an overwhelming bias involved.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson

let me jog your memory.

1) Toyota/Lexus 0wnz j00
2) Threxx > you
3) we all suck at reading comprehension and do the circle jerk.

I think that about covers it... what do you think??
Old 02-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Maybe "acceleration" wasn't the target of the "Lexus doesn't offer a V8 at any price", comment.
1)I see, them implying that Lexus IS pricey.
2)You're getting more for your money...(2 more cylinders, and any implied benefits)
(..anyways, acceleration, as we all know, is much more than engine output alone...)(Having driven my in-laws XLE Camry, I know the Toyota final gearing is much lower than Buick's, on average..)
EDIT: Remember too, the Northstar is a 32 valve/Dual Overhead Cam/ 275hp/295lbft/V8...not a "old tech" motor, as some say the 3800 is.

Last edited by 90rocz; 02-16-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by morb|d
let me jog your memory.

1) Toyota/Lexus 0wnz j00
2) Threxx > you
3) we all suck at reading comprehension and do the circle jerk.

I think that about covers it... what do you think??
I'd say Take out #1 and #2, and change #3 from "we all" to "some people here".

Then, yeah.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 PM

Anyways...what kind of traction control does Lexus have?
Buick's pretty much kills ET's...on my Park Ave, and when I turn it off, I easily spin 20+ ft...
(btw: My Park managed a 15.74 @ 87, with the Series I, S.C.3800, dragging 4100lbs.)

Last edited by 90rocz; 02-16-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 AM

I simply made one primary observation: buick is focusing on the motor in this car despite the motor supposedly being a very low concern on the target audience lucerne buyers.
I just saw this TV ad for the first time last night.

They mention three features . The heated windshield fluid, heated and ventilated seats, and the Northstar... so, even this one single commercial doesn't focus just on the engine.

They say that it's about "precision"... they point out that they didn't just put a windshield washer system in, but they went a step further... they heated it. They mention that they didn't add just heated seats... they went a step further and offered heated AND ventilated seats.... the theme follows through by offering the V8 instead of just the V6....

Did you miss the beginning two thirds of the commercial? Or just having selective memory? Because all 3 components got about equal air time, so if by "focusing on the Northstar" you mean, giving it about 33% of airtime in one commercial... then I guess you are right.

I haven't seen any other Lucerne ad that mentions the engine either. Not saying there aren't any... just that I haven't seen them.

Last edited by Darth Xed; 02-17-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: "The ES330 doesn't offer a V8 at ANY price point" - Lucerne commercial