Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Edmunds Review: Chevy Camaro SS vs. Dodge Challenger R/T vs. Ford Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 AM

Edmunds Review: Chevy Camaro SS vs. Dodge Challenger R/T vs. Ford Mustang GT

Anyone seen this yet? Great review by Edmunds...and guess who the winner is

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=1

Last edited by Indelibility; 04-07-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Damn, the Camaro just looks pissed off. Definitely the best looking of the three in my opinion. The others are just so boring to look at.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Interesting babble on the part of the author...

"The Mustang's 3,572-pound curb weight undercuts the fatty Dodge by nearly 500 pounds and the Camaro by almost 300, and you know it the first time you bend the Ford into a corner. It feels lithe and trim, and its front end bites into the tarmac with tenacity."

Then 2 paragraphs later... "The independent rear suspensions of the Dodge and Chevy offer superior ride quality without compromising traction. As good a job as Ford has done in refining the live axle's execution, the Mustang drives like a relic compared to the other two."

OK, so which is it? Does it bite with tenacity or drive like a relic?

Found it interesting that they did not even mention the Challenger in this comp... "At the skid pad, the Mustang's 0.91g result is the grippiest in this comparison. It stops the shortest at 107 feet from 60 mph. And while its 68.4-mph slalom result cedes the smallest sliver of speed to the Camaro, there is no sharper car in this test than the Mustang. It boils down to a driver's race versus the Camaro on our continuously winding drive loop."

"Get some air in its lungs and it belts out a V8 blat that is unmistakably Detroit. This thing hauls the mail. You expected that. What comes as a surprise is the Camaro's civility. Chevy's decision to abandon the live axle for a fully independent rear suspension will surely **** off the drag racers. Everyone else will appreciate the Camaro's newfound composure."
INTERESTING comment. Wonder who might be buying some of the SS units?

"Yes, this Camaro handles. You can throw it into a corner and not worry about the front end washing away like in the Challenger. There's surprising agility on tap for a 3,857-pound car. As your entry speeds increase, it leaves you wanting for a bit more steering feel, but the poise with which it takes to corners is eye-opening. At 68.6 mph, it pips the Mustang's slalom speed despite having a bit less grip and packing hundreds more pounds. That, friends, is talent."
I disagre... I think it is MUSCLE, combined with a good front-end set-up under an otherwise portly vehicle.

Overall, I'm glad they gave the Camaro the nod.
The Mustang is simply an MCE on a 5-y/o run. It is dated now.
I have said it since day-1... Challenger is a barge IMO. I love the old barges, but for a modern ponycar, it just doesn't do it for me personally. It's fat, it's long, it's wide, and it's heavy. An awesome cruiser with handsome looks... but so was the 1970 model and I think I like the original a bit better.

to the new Camaro SS.
Now... let's se the next comparo that puts V6 cars against each other in a month-long test that includes soccer-mom, grocery store run, daily drive to work in the 'burbs type of write-up. Because I honestly feel in my heart that THOSE cars will be the ones that must sell in order for the Camaro to exist long-term... so that's where we need to watch for the good signs and good reports.

Congrats Camaro!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Anyone seen this yet?
Yep.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=676256

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Yeah, it's clear that the Challenger is outclassed by the Mustang and Camaro.
It's more of a boulevard cruiser than an out-and-out sports car.
And that's OK.
I like boulevard cruisers, too.
I'd still take a Challenger before a Mustang.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
OK, so which is it? Does it bite with tenacity or drive like a relic?
My guess is they're talking about daily driving comfort and handling on normal roads as opposed to handling at the limits.

Originally Posted by ProudPony
"Chevy's decision to abandon the live axle for a fully independent rear suspension will surely **** off the drag racers. Everyone else will appreciate the Camaro's newfound composure."
INTERESTING comment. Wonder who might be buying some of the SS units?
I don't think it will be a big deal as long as wheel hop isn't an issue. And I have not read any mention of hop in any of the reviews yet - a far cry from the complaints we heard about the GTO and the CTS-V when it debuted. Now, what will happen to that rear end when people start hot-rodding the LS3.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Yeah, it's clear that the Challenger is outclassed by the Mustang and Camaro.
It's more of a boulevard cruiser than an out-and-out sports car.
And that's OK.
I like boulevard cruisers, too.
I'd still take a Challenger before a Mustang.
pony cars vs a muscle car...

camaro 1SS/RS at $32k, and '10 mustang GT deluxe about $29.5. a lot more car for the cash.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM

It seems odd to me that they would compare the Camaro SS to just the R/T Chally and the GT Stang instead of the SRT8 and Cobra. That, to me, would have been a more apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 96droptopZ
It seems odd to me that they would compare the Camaro SS to just the R/T Chally and the GT Stang instead of the SRT8 and Cobra. That, to me, would have been a more apples to apples comparison.
Why? The SS is just a V8 option really. The Z28 would go against the Cobra or SRT8
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 96droptopZ
It seems that they chose the competition based on sticker price. While the SS is more powerful than the R/T and GT it's cheaper and less exclusive than the SRT8 and GT500.

Although I have no doubt that some mag will set up an above the rim test with those three. That is a test I'm interested to see.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by soul strife
why? The ss is just a v8 option really. The z28 would go against the cobra or srt8
SRT-8 = 6.1L 425hp
SS = 6.2L 426hp

Z28 with the 556HP LSA would be closer to the 540HP GT500 though.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Whoops, did a search but nothing came up
Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Whoops, did a search but nothing came up
I searched for "edmunds" to find it in order to post the link.

It helped that I had seen it before, though.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
SRT-8 = 6.1L 425hp
SS = 6.2L 426hp

Z28 with the 556HP LSA would be closer to the 540HP GT500 though.
SS is the entry V8 for the Camaro
R/T is the entry V8 for the Challenger. (5.7L 401hp) The SRT is supposed to be Dodge's top dog.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Although I have no doubt that some mag will set up an above the rim test with those three. That is a test I'm interested to see.
I would be surprised to see the SS show up in a comparo with the 2010 GT500 now that we are getting an idea of just how fast the new Shelby is. 12.3 seconds on a 'cold, greasy track with a 20mph headwind' means that on a decent surface on a nice, spring day this is a very low 12 second car all day, every day. That is a big difference in forward momentum and, given the price difference, would seem to make the two an unlikely pairing for a comparo.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Review: Chevy Camaro SS vs. Dodge Challenger R/T vs. Ford Mustang GT