Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

easy reg. cab SS for half the price..he he he

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 09:46 AM

Talking easy reg. cab SS for half the price..he he he

by a fairly new used 2WD silverado, especialy one with a smashed nose. Silverado SS front clip and bagding..slap them on. Supercharge, free mods, exhaust and converter or something. some nice aftermarket rims..you got a short cab silvy SS for around 20K including the truck..thats the only way yo uwill get a reg cab SS..and the talk of the town..that black reg cab SS is the sickest..why cant GM do that..do a srtipped down performance model..kinda like the W/T truck..but an SS... Id buy it..and would be around 20K new if they did..

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 09-08-2002, 08:21 PM

Good idead- especailly since GM won't make it. But I want a new truck that HASN"T been hit...sol I guess.....until Didge drpos the 5.7 Hemi in the Dakota that is....hehe
Old 09-08-2002, 09:26 PM

Too bad you can't order the std. Silverado with the Vortec 6000 V8 and AWD... otherwise you could just about build your own.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:05 PM

I probably wouldnt even buy a newer silverado ss nose, IMO I think the new style 2003 silverados (just in the front) are FUGLY!! The only thing that appeals me are the new tail lights. But that wouldnt be a bad idea, throw a nice modified small block or even better BB?? Slam it, tune the suspension, blow it, and buh bye lightning.

------------------
1988 Camaro IROCZ "MIDNIGHT CRUIZERS"
305 ci Tuned Port 700R4
3"Exhaust/Flowmaster 80 series muffler/Dynomax high flow cat/CutOut
hypertech chip/k&n filers, cut MAF screen gutted air box
"Theres no replacement for displacement"
My Iroc web page....
www.geocities.com/bobfitz82/index.html
Old 09-08-2002, 10:57 PM

Exclamation

I agree....

The black SS is a beautiful truck!

The reason we're supposedly not getting it yet is because the AWD system wont fit under it.

------------------
"THE F_O_G HAS RISEN, AND WITH IT BEGINS THE DAWN OF A NEW ERA."

1967-2002, Thanks for 35 years of prestige and performance...... We look forward to the FUTURE.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:41 PM

okay WTF is it AWD. does the SS have to be?? why?? should it be RWD too??.the only thing I can think of is with the AWD the HP it has should be good enough to make it haul..kinda like the WRX..its fast for only 227 HP..and like the old GMC rockets..they had what 240HP or something and were fast as a vette almost..
so is that the trick? or am I just pulling straws..what are the 0-60 #??

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 AM

AWD will make it hook-up better. Pickups are notorious for having poor front-to-rear weight ratio. The AWD will distribute the power to makeup for any tire slipage giving the AWD version much better performance off the line than the same setup in a RWD pickup.

Sure you can order the base 2500 with the 6.0L V8 and RWD... but it won't be the same.

Personally I like the new nose. And I initially didn't think I would, but after seeing it in person... I really want a new truck, but I have to figure out how I can afford both a new truck and the '68 Camaro project I'm think about doing.

Hey, its only money.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:32 PM

personally i don't see how that setup isn't fitting under a fullsize cause it's the exact same setup that Lingenfelter put in the 99 Sonoma (6.0L AWD TWIN TURBO) i know there was a lot of modification there but it couldn't be that bad in the F/S...I WANT ONE!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by LPE_wannabe
(6.0L AWD TWIN TURBO)
Correction 7.0 L!!! AWD TT.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:31 PM

I read that article on the super tuner shootout. That Sonoma creamed every other car in the quarter including the LPE Corvette. It did terribly on the road course until the transfer case blew on it. But it was hilarious to see them drag out that Sonoma for the "why the hell not" reason!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:39 PM

A Reg Cab. 2WD 5.3L Silverado with the optional 3.73 rear is probably damn close to the Silverado SS in the 1/4mi.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:45 PM

IMO i think it should be just like the early 90s ss trucks. short wheel base, 2 wheel drive, big motor, power windows and locks and no chrome. i think the early 90s are still the ultimate truck even though it cant compete with todays lightning.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:04 PM

Yeah, the AWD system helps you get off the line faster, but that extra 200 lbs SERIOUSLY slows you down. If you're that damn worried about 1/4 mile times, get some slicks.

I'm so sick of Chevy. In the past few years they've come out with GREAT vehicles, they're just 40k and up, which is RIDICULOUS. Why not make several versions of the SS? Why limit it to the upperclass? Why can't they make an SS in a standard cab, 2WD version with bucket seats, power windows and locks, and nothing else fancy? Motor Trend did a test of the SS against a Dodge 2WD single cab truck with the new Hemi. The Chevy was like .3 quicker and 1 mph faster than the Dodge. Oh yeah, and it was 500 lbs heavier. Think what a single cab, 2WD version with some slicks would do! I mean, the AWD is great for up north, but what about us Southerners?? I don't need AWD in a street truck. I've already got a Z-71, and I'd sure as hell never take the SS off road. Chevy just has its priorities mixed up.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:44 PM
West South Central Moderator

Personally, I'd rather see 18" rims on a reg cab SS to save even more weight.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: easy reg. cab SS for half the price..he he he

Originally posted by Caps94ZODG
by a fairly new used 2WD silverado, especialy one with a smashed nose. Silverado SS front clip and bagding..slap them on. Supercharge, free mods, exhaust and converter or something. some nice aftermarket rims..you got a short cab silvy SS for around 20K including the truck..thats the only way yo uwill get a reg cab SS..and the talk of the town..that black reg cab SS is the sickest..why cant GM do that..do a srtipped down performance model..kinda like the W/T truck..but an SS... Id buy it..and would be around 20K new if they did..
There is a guy in Fort Worth who did this. Well I’m not sure about all the performance mods, but he put on SS badge’s and the Silverado SS front clip. I believe he has some torque thrust 2's on it. Looks pretty nice.

There is also a guy at the Fort Worth Classic Auto show every year with a Silverado will all Escalade body panels and an LS1 I think. I like.

Quick Reply: easy reg. cab SS for half the price..he he he