Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Dodge Challenger just might be the 2nd best selling sports coupe in the US....already

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:19 AM

Dodge Challenger just might be the 2nd best selling sports coupe in the US....already

Chrysler sold 2895 Dodge Challengers in July.

That puts Challenger on target to sell at least 28-30,000 vehicles for the 2009 model year (right on Chrysler's projections). Pretty impressive in this day of $4 per gallon fuel when you consider that the GTO didn't average half that and this isn't even a top sales month for the auto industry.

Like the Charger is doing currently the majority are V6 powered, pretty much shooting down the theory that only Mopar enthusiasts are snapping them up. Early indications are that the number one reason for buying the Challenger is styling, and a huge majority have never owned a Chrysler. The Challenger (so far) seems to be bringing new Chrysler customers and potential customers into showrooms.

Other coupes sales figures for July:
Infinity G coupes: 1583
Mazda RX8: 355.... yes...as in 3 hundred) 55
Mitsubishi Eclipse: 1910
Ford Mustang 10,711

I haven't found the Chevrolet Cobalt coupe production numbers. I also suspect Honda's Accord coupe is up there. However, in both instances the coupe production numbers are rolled into the sedans. Going by the rule that a sports coupe has to be unique in both design and marketing from a sedan, Challenger seems to currently have the number 2 spot cinched.

Throwing numbers of other all new vehicles that have also just recently started production & sales:
Ford Flex: 2204
Lincoln MKS: 2270

Fuel economy isn't the end-all of car sales. Consider the numbers of these direct opposites:
Pontiac G8: 1472
Saturn Astra: 1555.

Last edited by guionM; 08-15-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM

Perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that something that looks new(in an old way) outsold several cars that look old(in a new way).

If styling is selling the Challenger then seeing how it will compete with the Mustang redesign should be very telling.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 AM

I think it just proves that a car that has an iconic name has to look like the originals that carried that name.
Example: the GTO looked nothing like the originals and wasn't exactly a firecracker in sales. The Challenger looks like the original and seems to be selling great.
GM should note this if they ever plan to bring the GTO back again.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 AM

I think it will sell well for the first 8-10 months, but let's revisit this thread next year at Labor Day weekend and see how it's doing. I can't "logic" my way through it, there's just a feling from my gut that says "won't last".

Let's be honest... it's a brand new release that has been press-hyped for 18 months now... it's going to sell now that folks can finally put a hand on it.
So did the Magnum wagons too.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
I think it will sell well for the first 8-10 months, but let's revisit this thread next year at Labor Day weekend and see how it's doing. I can't "logic" my way through it, there's just a feling from my gut that says "won't last".

Let's be honest... it's a brand new release that has been press-hyped for 18 months now... it's going to sell now that folks can finally put a hand on it.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 AM

Yep

It will be interesting to see how the new Camaro falls into the coupe market , with the V6 version being the shining star this time around .
Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Like the Charger is doing currently the majority are V6 powered,
So the v6, and r/t models are out already? I thought it was still just srt8's? I just saw my first one last week in my hometown that was bought from some other dealership out of town, whereas our dealership has had 3 g8's (2 v6's 1 gt). I thought they were still a rare commodity?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I thought it was SRT-only still as well.....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
I think it will last, the styling is awesome, and not everyone freaks out over details such as weight like some of the people on this site, it seems like people on this site think everyone in the country only buys a car based on it's 1/4 mile times.....
Weight is the enemy of EVERYONE who drives a car. Increased weight: lowers fuel economy, increases tire wear, puts more stress on the drivetrain/brakes, increases braking distances in all weather, and makes the car not handle as well.

Everyone in this country, and all others, should be concerned about weight instead of the new gadget that X car has that all cars should have.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM

I think it will last, the styling is awesome, and not everyone freaks out over details such as weight like some of the people on this site, it seems like people on this site think everyone in the country only buys a car based on it's 1/4 mile times.....
May I inquire as to your age? Just curious.

Thanks!
PP
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM

May I inquire as to your age? Just curious.

Thanks!
PP
Here's an addition to that statistic. I'm 26 and dont care about the 3800 lb Camaro at all. I'm still going to buy one(V-8). Ever seen how much a fully optioned WS6 weighs? Its not far off and the 2010 Camaro will be a far superior car in terms of refinement style and power. Hmm it would seem I am also a member of the "lets compare the 5th to the 4th gen in terms of sales even though the 4th gen was treated as the hated, unadvertised, canceled a thousand times, unwanted, inferior, going to make it FWD red-headed stepchild of GM." I was trying to avoid being one. As far as I am concerned thats like comparing apples to ****.

The Challenger is a nice looking car. Just to clarify the 08 were SRT-8 only. The 09's just hit the lot and the first batch is ALL V-6's. The R/T and SRT8 will come on later on.

Last edited by super83Z; 08-15-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Here's an addition to that statistic. I'm 26 and dont care about the 3800 lb Camaro at all. I'm still going to buy one(V-8).
I'm 22??? what does that have to do with anything
You both missed my point completely.

Neither of you are old enough to remember when the original Challengers were all over the road in all forms of performance. Neither of you can recall the originals as "commonplace" - passing several on the road at any time. And neither of you has a clue what the gas crunch and the death of the musclecar was really like when it really happened - you only have reading and acoounts of others to gage.

This Challenger is WAY closer to it's original daddy of 30 years prior than the 5th gen Camaro or 5th gen Mustang. As badly as people griped about "retro" when the Mustang was coming out in 2005, this car should have them screaming bloody F'ing murder. There are ALREADY tens-of-thousand cars that look almost identical to the new Challenger sitting in people's garages, shops, barns, and fields - but these are vintage and have a pedigree. If those passionate about them want a new one to drive daily and keep the miles off their vintage unit - they will be key buyers. After that, there willbe new buyers interested in a modern-musclecar or "big" ponycar - they too may buy based on styling or even interior quality - GREAT! But the market for big, 2-door cars is NOT infinite. The SUV crowd and most families prefer 4-doors for ease of ingress/egress - that's what DROVE the SUV craze from the beginning was the easy use of all that space.

Don't get me wrong - I have said 3 times now that I like the car, and I do. But I also like the new stuff coming and if I were to vote with my money (which I plan to do) I would place my wagers on some of the hot new cars coming down the pipes right now. Smaller, easier to drive in the city, easier to park, easier to gt in/out of, etc.

super83Z - you need a cold one to settle your nerves! Why you blasting my @ss about the 3800 lbs?!?! I never said a single word about weight... nowhere. Your 5th-to4th comparison and sh1+ comments were totally out of left field... you lost me.

cmg06s - age has EVERYTHING to do with the targeted demographic for a car - especially a car aimed at a niche market like Challenger is. FYI - you are NOT the intended audience and buyer of that car based on your age alone.
You too have thrown weight at me, and fuel economy too. I HAVE SAID NOTHING ABOUT EITHER!!! Where did you guys get this idea from?!?! Not ME!
As for why I don't think it will sell - GO BACK AND READ MY POST!!!
I clearly wrote - "I can't "logic" my way through it, there's just a feeling from my gut that says "won't last"."
As a man that owns 49 Mustangs spanning 1966 to 1998, several SUVs, a SuperDuty, and some other toys like Cougar XR7s, Galaxies, Comets, LTD-LX's, and such - I think I am qualified to give my "gut feeling" on what the market for a ponycar or musclecar might do. I have elaborated in more detail about my feelings in another thread...https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...=626991&page=3. It's the best I can offer for now.

Bottom line is - if you like the car and it's what you want - buy it. No sweat.
I'm simply saying that I don't think the car will withstand the tests and trials of the market over a period of a couple years. That is based on my past experiences, and the feeling I have about our economy and what I think is coming. I would not expect anyone under 35 to have the same perspective that I have - but they are also not the ones directly targetted by the Chalenger either. Anyone can buy one... that's exactly what Chrysler is hoping will happen. Maybe they will... we'll see.

I'm on the record with my prediction - it's not going to change.
Let's add this thread to favorites and check back in in January, then again next year at this time.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, the big draw right now is that the car is new, it was hyped, and it looks fantastic. People will buy it, especially early on.

I'm seriously considering the Challenger for a daily driver because I already have a 69 Firebird...and a new Camaro would be redundant for me. A white Vanishing Point Challenger has a certain appeal. It's doubtful that the '69 would be sold for a new one, and I'm too attention deficit to own two of the same thing. Decisions, Decisions.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:02 PM

You are right it will die in time. But only because of fuel economy and nothing else.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM

super83Z - you need a cold one to settle your nerves! Why you blasting my @ss about the 3800 lbs?!?! I never said a single word about weight... nowhere. Your 5th-to4th comparison and sh1+ comments were totally out of left field... you lost me.
I didn't mean to blast you I'm just vulgar tbh.

Quick Reply: Dodge Challenger just might be the 2nd best selling sports coupe in the US....already