Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: did it?
Yes
15.00%
No
85.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

did it anger you when the CEO's flew to washington?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
How long it's been around and how long it's been implemented in a road-going application are two different things.
The only thing different is the scale of the application.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
The only thing different is the scale of the application.
It still has to be packaged and made to work seamlessly with all the other systems on the car. It's quite the undertaking and I don't fault GM or get any preconceptions about quality for them covering their butts when they take a preproduction car on the road. Hell, they've done the same thing with the Camaro and there's nothing radically different about its powertrain.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh yeah, if you spent a little less time reading Playboy, you might know that the very "liberal congress" you curse is the only reason this automotive bailout has any chance at all.

Financially "conservative" people tend to be against bailouts of any kind.

I know financially conservative people don't. I actually am against most of the bailouts but I think I need to go with this one. I feel in the US we need a much bigger manufacturing base, and we need to help it.

What I think is funny, Playboy is extremely liberal and even they agree with it.

Not saying playboy is an end all of fiancial news but its a pretty decent magazine overall.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Allrightythen, I guess I'm going to have to tell you how long this "newfangled hybrid technology" has been around.
Let's put it this way, I'm sure (or almost sure) that most of you have heard of the U-Boat. Yeah, that's right, this "cutting edge" propulsion technology has been around since before World War I on submarines - and is still being used today.
Again, it's not like this technology is new. It's been around almost 100 YEARS and has been pretty well optimized. Hell, there are already hybrids all over the roads.
So, I say again.....If GM can't build a vehicle (even if it is a prototype using this "brand-new 100 year-old technology") that can get it's CEO to DC and back to Detroit, then no amount of a federal bailout/loan/whatever will help them.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Its not a hybrid...

If it was so easy why hasn't all the car companies made them? I am tlaking Foreign and domestic.

Its just the automotive companies, not wanting to make them, some non-automotive company needs to go out and show detroit how to make an electric car. WAIT,Tesla is doing it and its easy right? oh wait aren't they going under?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
I actually am against most of the bailouts but I think I need to go with this one.
OK, so since we've already bailed out Jimmy (the financial industry), and if we bail out Johnny (the automotive industry), how long will it be before Sally, Scott, Paul, Fred, Timmy, Tommy, Jill, Jack, etc.(insert "vital-too-big-to-fail-entity here) are in line with their hands out? The bottom line is principles are principles. If we bail one out, we have to bail them all out, or don't bail ANY of them out.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
Its not a hybrid...

If it was so easy why hasn't all the car companies made them? I am talking Foreign and domestic.
It's a true gas-electric powerplant. Again, it's technology that's been around since before ALL of us were born.
I frankly don't know why automakers haven't made them. I'm kind of surprised something didn't come out 30 years ago during the last "gas crunch".
Anyway, it's not like they have to "invent" the technology. It's just a matter of scaling it down to fit in a car.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 PM

OK, so since we've already bailed out Jimmy (the financial industry), and if we bail out Johnny (the automotive industry), how long will it be before Sally, Scott, Paul, Fred, Timmy, Tommy, Jill, Jack, etc.(insert "vital-too-big-to-fail-entity here) are in line with their hands out? The bottom line is principles are principles. If we bail one out, we have to bail them all out, or don't bail ANY of them out.

EXACTLY! but why does the company I work for have to BEG for money when the people who drove us into the ground with BAD LOANS get them not questions asked?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
EXACTLY! but why does the company I work for have to BEG for money when the people who drove us into the ground with BAD LOANS get them not questions asked?
Because the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Again, I am one of MANY who were and are against the bailout of the financial industry, and the precedent it set. Now, either the line gets drawn somewhere, or we bail everyone out and become the United States of China.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 PM

nope. what kind of moron doesn't realize that CEOs fly around in corporate jets all the time without having to see it on tv?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SliderZ28
We've been through this. This particular trip cost no more than $3k to $4k tops on the jets they used.
From what I remember, some people thought it was $3k to $4k tops and others said it was much more like the number I produced. If you truly think it only costs $3-$4k to charter a private jet then sign me up next time I wanna go to Europe.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 AM

Idiot members of Congress, who spend OUR money like water criticizing them was a joke. So, I voted no. OTOH, maybe the execs should have figured out that it was bad PR and just flown commercial. I do hate the idea of bailing out people who fuxxed up so badly. It's a dilemma, for sure.

Rich
Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 AM

i'd only be pissed if the pilot & crew were union.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
Because the financial industry is infinitely more important than the Big 3 to turning around the economy, not just of the United States, but the entire world. We've been through this in many other threads.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 AM

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, if you spent a little less time reading Playboy, you might know that the very "liberal congress" you curse is the only reason this automotive bailout has any chance at all.

Financially "conservative" people tend to be against bailouts of any kind.
That's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention, which is why I think they'll get it. They are torn between their hate for the Big 3 and the party's massive uaw contributions. They want to make the suits squirm, because they hate the corporations, yet they can't let the uaw workers lose their jobs. It's all just a big show for "The People" to make US think they actually do something!

Quick Reply: did it anger you when the CEO's flew to washington?