Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cz28.com Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I was basing my choice on the assumption we were using the MTCOTY criteria:
Don't you think that CZ28's collective intelligence is such that we could do better than copy what is arguably the least relevant car award out there?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Don't you think that CZ28's collective intelligence is such that we could do better than copy what is arguably the least relevant car award out there?
While I agree that their selection might be suspect, certainly the criteria isn't as subjective.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
While I agree that their selection might be suspect, certainly the criteria isn't as subjective.
What I'm saying is that their criteria allows them to pick entirely based on subjective measures. Also, the exclusion of models that haven't been updated for the current year bothers me. If nothing cool comes out in a given year, something really awesome from the previous year deserves to take the win.

I think that CZ28's COTY should be based on one criteria, and one criteria only: the car that we would be most likely to purchase for ourselves.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM

I think that CZ28's COTY should be based on one criteria, and one criteria only: the car that we would be most likely to purchase for ourselves.
In that case, make it the Pontiac G8 GT for me. I also think the Dodge Challenger R/T deserves mention.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

I've been thinking, and I'm betting that if we took a vote, based on the criteria I gave above, the 2008 CZ28 COTY would be a 2002-2004 C5 Z06.

Yeah, that's right, a used car.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

What I'm saying is that their criteria allows them to pick entirely based on subjective measures. Also, the exclusion of models that haven't been updated for the current year bothers me. If nothing cool comes out in a given year, something really awesome from the previous year deserves to take the win.

Certainly, CZ28 can pick any criteria it wants but with respect to MT, how else would MT pick a COTY?

If they didn't limit their choices to those that are totally new to the market or have gone through a major model redesign; they would have to consider every vehicle model sold in the U.S. - they would never be done "evaluating".

As far as the subjective measurements go, isn't that how most people make a final decision about buying a car? Don't you think most people buy a new car based on highly subjective impressions such as "looks", how they feel sitting in the car; even how well they like how the controls for the radio are arranged?

Certainly, enthusiasts care about such things as HP, Tq, drag coefficient, 0-60, 60-0, etc, etc, but most people simply don't care about those things.

Objective measurements are fine but only take you so far; after that, it will always be a matter of opinion and MT's opinions are no less valuable than others'.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Banned

I've been thinking, and I'm betting that if we took a vote, based on the criteria I gave above, the 2008 CZ28 COTY would be a 2002-2004 C5 Z06.

Yeah, that's right, a used car.
Why would you pick a C5 Z06 over a C6 Z06???

Both are great cars but seems to me the C6 is the first among equals.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Certainly, CZ28 can pick any criteria it wants but with respect to MT, how else would MT pick a COTY?

If they didn't limit their choices to those that are totally new to the market or have gone through a major model redesign; they would have to consider every vehicle model sold in the U.S. - they would never be done "evaluating".
Simple -- you come up with a list of likely candidates for the award in advance, same as they do today. Car and Driver does it for all new cars (including models that have not changed) for their 10Best awards.

As far as the subjective measurements go, isn't that how most people make a final decision about buying a car? Don't you think most people buy a new car based on highly subjective impressions such as "looks", how they feel sitting in the car; even how well they like how the controls for the radio are arranged?
That's not the kind of subjectiveness I was referring to. I'm talking about overall evaluations for things like "significance", "design", and "engineering". A subjective opinion of the looks, ergonomics, etc. is still based on something concrete, but "significance" is based on nothing more than something the evaluators pulled out of their collective ***.

Why would you pick a C5 Z06 over a C6 Z06???

Both are great cars but seems to me the C6 is the first among equals.
Price, issues with cracking brake rotors, hard to drive fast...

Again, note that my criteria was what we would be most likely to purchase for ourselves. How many CZ28ers have C6 Z06's?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

Simple -- you come up with a list of likely candidates for the award in advance, same as they do today. Car and Driver does it for all new cars (including models that have not changed) for their 10Best awards.
Car and Driver’s is an apples to oranges comparison – C&D’s list is an entirely different process with an entirely different purpose.

Coming up with any type of “list” without some stringent prequalification’s (such as being an all new vehicle) would still be an almost impossible task IMHO nor would it ever end the argument; somebody would always be POed that “their” favorite vehicle didn’t get considered.

That's not the kind of subjectiveness I was referring to. I'm talking about overall evaluations for things like "significance", "design", and "engineering". A subjective opinion of the looks, ergonomics, etc. is still based on something concrete, but "significance" is based on nothing more than something the evaluators pulled out of their collective ***.
The neither regions is where most opinions stem from; MT’s opinions are no less valuable than anybody elses.

Even when we disagree with them, the opinion of someone who spends his every working hour involved in the automotive world probably has a more thoughtful/reasoned opinion than most of the masses do.

Price, issues with cracking brake rotors, hard to drive fast...

Again, note that my criteria was what we would be most likely to purchase for ourselves. How many CZ28ers have C6 Z06's?
Seems to me I recall some problems with the initial Z06 as well (including something to do with the brakes)? I don’t know that the current Z06 is any more difficult to drive fast then the last generation; if so, then other than HP; it would sound like Chevy is taking a step in the wrong direction with the Z06.

I've no idea how many CZ28ers have a C6 Z06 but I would assume it’s likely more a matter of “money” than of desire.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM

This is comical and sickening all at the same time!!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCNGENNFTHGEN
This is comical and sickening all at the same time!!
Do you ever have come into a discussion with anything other than tired rhetoric or unintelligible proclamations?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Wink

Do you ever have come into a discussion with anything other than tired rhetoric or unintelligible proclamations?
IDK that looks pretty intelligible to me, and seems like you understood it too!! Which is more than I can say for you're retort here, which is actually unintelligible! How about you? Do you ever come into a thread without singing the praises of the great nissan?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

IDK that looks pretty intelligible to me, and seems like you understood it too!!

...Do you ever come into a thread without singing the praises of the great nissan?
Yes; including this thread for one.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Talking

OK let me simplify. And more TTT This is Camaro Z28.com, so naturally I'm bias, IMO there should be only one car on the list!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

OK let me simplify. And more TTT This is Camaro Z28.com, so naturally I'm bias, IMO there should be only one car on the list!
I never knew that being biased meant that one has to turn off rational thought processes.

Quick Reply: Cz28.com Car of the Year