CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Cz28.com Car of the Year (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/cz28-com-car-year-653268/)

Steve0 12-04-2008 06:41 AM

Cz28.com Car of the Year

Well, 2008 is coming to a close and I think a lot of really good products were put onto the market this year by a multitude of manufacturers. The Motor Trend Car of the Year obviously wasn't a popular choice here, so I decided to make this thread to see what people here's personal "Car of the Year" is.

I'd like to hear 3 candidates per poster just to get some range in the feedback. There's no specific criteria other than it being a new model and it's significance having impact in 2008.

My candidates would be:
GTR - Not gonna expand on this one... haha!

ZR1 - Wow, amazing car. I remember gawking at Ferrari Enzo numbers a few years back and now here's a car that can run with it, that I could actually realistically potentially own one day! Very fast, very capable, and still civil.

Hyundai Genesis - I got a chance to see and sit in one and its an impressively well put together car. Hyundai has come a long, long way in a short amount of time.

Purple 92 SS 12-04-2008 07:29 AM

Pontiac G8 to me. Affordable, well rounded, great handling and performing... and attainable by a much wider audiance than the zr1 or the GTR..

STOCK1SC 12-04-2008 07:32 AM

Chevrolet Cobalt SS, runs the ring right up there with the V8 Camaro and gets 30 mpg all for just over $22k! Add in the new stage kit from GM and there is no contest.

soul strife 12-04-2008 07:53 AM

BMW 1 Series for trying to develope a new segment in the U.S. (Smaller luxo segment) with a great drive train.

Mikes25thAnnTA 12-04-2008 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Purple 92 SS (Post 5717184)
Pontiac G8 to me. Affordable, well rounded, great handling and performing... and attainable by a much wider audiance than the zr1 or the GTR..

:yes: G8 gets my vote as well.

I don't think the COTY should ever be something higher priced like a GTR, ZR1, Porsche, etc. etc.

Purple 92 SS 12-04-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mikes25thAnnTA (Post 5717252)
:yes: G8 gets my vote as well.

I don't think the COTY should ever be something higher priced like a GTR, ZR1, Porsche, etc. etc.

I agree with your logic about COTY. The wife and I almost bought a Stryker Blue G8 about a month and a half ago, we could have done it, but the payments would have been higher than I wanted, and in this economic climate, we walked away.. Was NOT an easy thing to do. The car is truely awesome in all aspects. Powerful, Comfortable, Roomy, Decent on gas, and very stylish. If I had 10k to put down, I'd of done it, but at the time , we wanted our kitchen renovated more than the new car.

muckz 12-04-2008 09:22 AM

This should have been a poll actually. Some possible entries:

Audi A4 (2009)
BMW 1 series
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Honda FCX Clarity
Hyundai Genesis
Ford Flex
Mercedes-Benz C-class
Nissan GTR
Pontiac G8

I still think out of this entire list, GTR stole the floor this year.

Threxx 12-04-2008 09:55 AM

In judging shear significance and impact upon entry to the market place (in other words what car are the other manufacturers most taking notice of right now?). The Genesis, hands down.

guionM 12-04-2008 10:56 AM

I second the Hyundai Genisis coupe and the Pontiac G8.

I checked out the Flex at the LA press preview for the 1st time. It's very nice, and IMO if it overcomes it's price level (which I feel is a bit high) it will do very well as a minivan-SUV thingy.

seawolf06 12-04-2008 11:02 AM

I agree with the Hyundai Genesis and the BMW 1 series.

Next year, Camaro SS!

jg95z28 12-04-2008 11:44 AM

Hyundai Genesis for me as well.

However, if money were no object, I'd select the Corvette ZR1.

JakeRobb 12-04-2008 12:08 PM

What are the criteria?

Gripenfelter 12-04-2008 12:14 PM

I can't decide between the ZR-1, G8, or Genesis.

jg95z28 12-04-2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb (Post 5717648)
What are the criteria?

I was basing my choice on the assumption we were using the MTCOTY criteria:

To be eligible for the award, a car must be a new model introduced in a given model year, or given a fundamental redesign for that year ("freshenings" are ineligible for the award). All vehicles are given the same battery of tests: standard car tests such as skid-pad ratings, acceleration and quarter-mile times, and evaluations of the interiors are combined with a track run conducted by SCCA-licensed testers and taking the cars out on normal roads to test their drivability under normal conditions and fuel economy.
When to we get to test the cars? ;)

Geoff Chadwick 12-04-2008 02:11 PM

The Genesis. Sure it may not have the press attention that the GTR has, but there is a lot of showroom traffic for people wanting to actually shop for a Genesis and buy one (who cannot afford the other Lux cars and this is in their pricerange).

Not to mention the content of the car for the price. Not to mention the build quality.

Hyundai is improving at an alarming rate. If only they cared more for sports cars, the Genesis Coupe might have gotten the V8.