Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chrysler to set up separate Fiat dealer network

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Associated Press

Detroit -- Chrysler Group LLC will set up a separate dealership network to sell cars made by Italy's Fiat Group SpA when they are reintroduced in the U.S. later this year.

The Auburn Hills, Michigan-based automaker said existing Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram dealers will get a chance to apply to sell the Italian Fiats, but they must be able to operate separate facilities with different sales and service teams in order to win a franchise.

Fiat, which last sold cars in the U.S. in the 1980s, will return to the country in December with the debut of the Fiat 500, a highly efficient, very European-looking small car. Other Fiat models are likely for the U.S., but the company has not made announcements beyond the 500, known in Italy as the Cinquecento.

Fiat was given control of Chrysler by the U.S. government when the automaker emerged from bankruptcy on June 10, 2009. The company would have run out of cash and been sold off in pieces without roughly $15 billion in aid from the U.S. and Canadian governments. While noting that the company still has a long road ahead to recovery, CEO Sergio Marchionne last month touted Chrysler's first-quarter operating profit, two straight months of sales gains and plans for 16 new or updated vehicles by the end of this year.

The Fiat dealerships will be located in roughly 125 U.S. metropolitan areas that Chrysler has found to have high small-car registration and high potential for growth in selling smaller cars, said spokesman Ralph Kisiel. The company expects to have 200 Fiat dealers in 41 states.

Letters will go out Monday to Chrysler Group's roughly 2,300 dealers nationwide giving them general guidelines for applying to become Fiat dealers. More specific requirements will come in application packets for interested dealers.

"Dealers are going to have to demonstrate how they will market, sell and service Fiat vehicles with a new customer service model," Kisiel said.

He would not say if dealers will have to pay to buy a Fiat franchise. Generally, interested dealers must be in the 125 designated markets, meet customer satisfaction and minimum sales requirements, and show that they have the financial resources to support the brand, Chrysler said in a statement.

Dealers outside the 125 identified markets will be considered for Fiat franchises provided they meet all the performance standards and financial requirements, Kisiel said.

Chrysler hopes to announce the dealership network in September, three months before the 500 is to arrive in the U.S. Chrysler also has announced plans for a 500 convertible and an electric version, but no timing has been revealed for those models to go on sale.
From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0sxQkiy5T
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Ok, I'll bite.

Does anyone see the wisdom in setting up an entirely new and separate Fiat network? I thought one of the biggest motivations in this deal for Fiat was to utilize the vast Chrysler dealer network to reintroduce their name and their vehicles to the North American market. That's a lot of money to be spending to build new dealer facilities. And if Fiat flops, you've now got a large number of independent dealers that would need to be bought out and closed. Seems risky.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM

I think you've pretty much hit it on the nose there. Seems to negate the majority of the synergies this deal was supposed to create.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I think you've pretty much hit it on the nose there. Seems to negate the majority of the synergies this deal was supposed to create.
It seems especially weird considering that Fiat is starting out with just one model here.

Who knows, BMW has successfully sold MINIs through separate dealerships, but they almost had to in that case - it's tough to sell $20,000 compacts alongside BMWs.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Sounds to me more like a way to get current Chrysler-product dealerships to pay franchise rights to Fiat more than anything else.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Ok, I'll bite.

Does anyone see the wisdom in setting up an entirely new and separate Fiat network? I thought one of the biggest motivations in this deal for Fiat was to utilize the vast Chrysler dealer network to reintroduce their name and their vehicles to the North American market. That's a lot of money to be spending to build new dealer facilities. And if Fiat flops, you've now got a large number of independent dealers that would need to be bought out and closed. Seems risky.
The cost savings is in product development. It isn't going to cost Fiat/Chrysler corporate a dime for these dealerships, the dealers will foot the bill. Also Fiat will use established, profitable, dealers (likely with good management teams and systems in place) to move product. They are still using the same network but it won't be an open network and it will have a buy in.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
It isn't going to cost Fiat/Chrysler corporate a dime for these dealerships, the dealers will foot the bill.
Correct - and with those dealers footing the bill, in a still-unstable-and-recovering market, it will be interesting to see just how many Chrysler dealerships will buy in and build. I'm guessing you aren't going to be seeing a large Fiat dealer network anytime soon.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Correct - and with those dealers footing the bill, in a still-unstable-and-recovering market, it will be interesting to see just how many Chrysler dealerships will buy in and build. I'm guessing you aren't going to be seeing a large Fiat dealer network anytime soon.
I think they're going to be following the BMW/Mini model pretty closely here. You don't see Mini dealerships all over the place, and I don't think Fiat epects to have a wide rangingd dealer network. They probably just want key markets covered. Only question is if the market takes to the 500 like they did the Mini. It don't know if they will or not.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

An entire new network to sell just one car which is very small, north of $20k, only comes with a 6-speed manual and as of now no optional automatic. It is also in my opinion a very ugly car. I really can't see this car doing all that well unless gas prices go way up and the add an auto option.

Just put it alongside the rest of the Chryslers to generate some buzz to bring people into the dealerships and maybe each dealer would sell a couple a month.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM

There are lots of closed Saturn dealerships out there looking for something to sell.

Fix It Again Tony
Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
Did anyone else google image search a fiat 500 besides me?

Looks like a VW bug and Mini had a love child.
Pretty sure it doesn't fit the image of most current chrylser vehicles.
Yea it's an interesting looking car. The interior is very Mini like. They would look very out of place in Chrysler or Dodge dealers.

The Mini- BMW model probably works the best. These cars will probably be trendy and bring in a different kind of customer than Chrysler/Dodge has seen before.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Sounds to me more like a way to get current Chrysler-product dealerships to pay franchise rights to Fiat more than anything else.
Bingo!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
West South Central Moderator

There is a 200hp/220tq version of the 500
Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM

This stuff makes me sad...I still wish Nissan and Chrysler would have gotten together instead of Fiat.

I have no faith in Fiat.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Ok, I'll bite.

One of the reason I stopped coming to this site so much is that even when I posted actual reasons for things happening, even those who should have known better let their opinions and emotions get ahead of facts and what was actually taking place. Now you're seeing why we need to stick with facts, not emotional opinions.

Fiat NEVER had intentions of turning Chrysler into Fiat (one member who should have known better claimed that all Fiat wanted to do was put their name on the Chrysler Building).

Sergio Marchionne had a marathon press conference some months ago which the naysayers completely blew off that actually went into detail as to what Fiat's plans were with Chrysler. Not only in how Chrysler and it's divisions would fit within Fiat's network, but the timeline for each Chrysler model's revisions and updates.

It was also posted here.

It was also hit by the naysayers who were convinced that they were smarter than the press, the UAW, the Feds, and every other biped on earth.

And they were wrong.

The only surprising thing about Fiat setting up a separate network to sell Fiat brand cars is that anyone is surprised.

I'm still waiting for the thread that has the "surprise" that the government didn't turn out running GM and forcing all of us into electric golf carts after all.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to set up separate Fiat dealer network