Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy ranks below average on JD Power APEAL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 03:08 PM

Angry Chevy ranks below average on JD Power APEAL

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7655
Old 10-15-2004, 04:14 PM

Re: Chevy ranks below average on JD Power APEAL

Damn.. looking at that table most of almost every domestic is in the same boat. I wonder why Audi is so high up..
Old 10-15-2004, 04:29 PM

did chevy drop? what was the number last year??

and how the hell did hummer get so high?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:44 PM

You know, I was looking at this survey this morning and it makes no sense at all to me. It certainly shows that what people "rank" as appealing and what they buy don't equal the same thing. The slow selling GTO is the top sporty car. The discontinued due to poor sales Mercury Marauder is top full size car. The Malibu is top entry mid-size car and Equinox is top small SUV, but Chevy as a whole has "below average appeal" while struggling Mitsubishi, Mercury and Jaguar are "above average." Don't get it.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 PM

Because no one wants to admit yeah, that s my chevy....lol. with the exception of Camaro, Vettes and old school impala's.... no one wants to be caught dead in any chevy.... but they sell because they are cheap.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
You know, I was looking at this survey this morning and it makes no sense at all to me. It certainly shows that what people "rank" as appealing and what they buy don't equal the same thing. The slow selling GTO is the top sporty car. The discontinued due to poor sales Mercury Marauder is top full size car. The Malibu is top entry mid-size car and Equinox is top small SUV, but Chevy as a whole has "below average appeal" while struggling Mitsubishi, Mercury and Jaguar are "above average." Don't get it.
You stole my thunder. Sometimes I wonder about JD Power. For all the criticisms of the GTO why is it on top in appeal in its class? The Malibu and Equinox have been doing well (especially Equinox)...is there a Chevy car or truck that's soooo horrifically crappy that it brings down Chevy's appeal as a whole? That's what it seems like the overall results are saying.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:02 PM

I know. It's weird. I personally like the GTO, but sales-wise, they've been the dictionary definition of a slow-starter. The two Pontiac dealerships I pass regularly both have at least 3 2004s in stock. While the car is certainly more "appealing" with current incentives, I find it strange that if it's so "appealing" why aren't there more buyers? It's not like it's out of reach of the average person, really, even at MSRP.

And I totally agree about the Malibu and Equinox. They're both on my shopping list for my next car, and I find them both appealing, but what is it that brings Chevy down so much? Beyond the Aveo (which is too small for me, but OK, IMO for its class), and the lame duck Cavalier (I actually had two - a '97 LS Convertible and a 2000 Z24 coupe - so I have no desire for a third. However, they were both extremely reliable) there's nothing in Chevy's lineup that I don't find appealing. Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo (my current daily driver) Corvette and SSR are all appealing vehicles.

And I think that Mercury maybe gave up on the Marauder too easily. How much would it have cost to keep it in the lineup for a couple more years? But if you take out the Marauder, what's so darn appealing about Mercury? I guess the Grand Marquis for all those who don't chew their food but have a couple extra bucks in the social security check. Other than that, they have nothing that Ford can't do cheaper or Lincoln do better.

I get the sense that the Evolution in and of itself probably increases Mitsubishi's appeal to where it is and Jaguar manages to remain an 'aspirational' (pretty much all of the car mags, which are the closest I will probably ever get to a Jag) brand. So that makes sense, but nobody's buying.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:56 PM

along with the gto, i think the subaru baja falls in there too
how the he** does it get best compact pickup?
i think most people would find a colorado or canyon above that, or a ford explorer sport trac

who knows anymore
Old 10-16-2004, 12:11 AM

Premium Sports Car

Highest Ranked: Porsche Boxster

thats what gets me, besides the fudged up rankings chevy and pontiac got.. The only 1 i agree with on there is Caddy over Mercades
Old 10-16-2004, 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=Eric77TA] It certainly shows that what people "rank" as appealing and what they buy don't equal the same thing. QUOTE]

Eric you hit the nail right on the head. There are a lot of cars that appeal to people, but 99% of them can't buy them due to money or feasiblity. Even if you could afford a Vette or a G35, you cannot put 3 kids and all of their suff into them and haul a couple cart loads of groceries home. While a Lexus or porsche may be more apealing, chevies are far more practical.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Disciple

APEAL surveys OWNERS.

2004 APEAL Study, which measures owner delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles
The complete press release is here.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
APEAL surveys OWNERS.
Which is why it is idiotic to call it apeal. Initial customer satisfaction is a better label.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:43 PM

Ah, PoSSum and HAZ-Mat, that certainly shines a different light on things. GTO and Mercury Marauder owners LOVE their cars, but no one else is necessarily buying/wanting them. That makes more sense
Old 10-17-2004, 01:59 PM

GTO is rated tops because all the talk of quality, balance, ride, performance, interior is all true. Slow seller ? Over 8000 sold now with well over 2000 sold in the month of september alone. Yeah, thats kinda slow but the sales has nothing to do with the quality of the car. Hence, #1 nod from JD.

Marauder gets the nod because the only thing in the class is that car and the marquis and crown vic (all the same vehicle).
Old 10-17-2004, 06:53 PM

Yes, Adam, the GTO can be qualified as a slow seller. GM had sales projections of 17,000 2004 models if I recall correctly and it's taken a liberal application of incentives to really get them moving off the lots. September was the first month there were any incentives on the GTO, thus the big boost.

Quick Reply: Chevy ranks below average on JD Power APEAL