Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Chevy cars and styling......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Re: Chevy cars and styling......

[QUOTE=Dante93GTZ] and all those Impalas - they look too "cop-car-ish" [QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who said that everytime I saw an Impala, though I could never figure out why it looks like that....
Old 07-20-2004, 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=Got-LT1][QUOTE=Dante93GTZ] and all those Impalas - they look too "cop-car-ish"

I thought I was the only one who said that everytime I saw an Impala, though I could never figure out why it looks like that....
I'm one of those people that gets tense everytime I see a cop car; Not because I'm speeding or doing anything wrong, but just because thats how I am. As a result, the old ladies driving white Impalas think I'm scared of them or having a panic attack. hahahaah
Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Dante93GTZ]See, my problem is, no matter how much "brand loyalty" I have, I'm not going to buy a $20,000++, ugly, and boring car just because its a Chevy and thats what they have. No offense to Big Al, if you genuinely like it thats all that matters, but it seems like Chevy thinks that its brand loyalty will sell products no matter how wierd or ugly they are.QUOTE]

As you should. Brand loyalty is a great thing, but blind loyalty isn't. I see no reason a person shouldn't buy a better product just becuase it's made my company 'X'. I grew up Chevy child, but within the past 10 years I've just about completely swiched to other division save the TrailBlazer, Camaro, and Corvette. Pontiac, Mazda and Nissan are all putting out much more exciting (to me, 32 years old going on 27 again) products.

If you genuinely like it, that's great. But if you're buying it just becuase it's made by company 'X', then I think you might be missing something better.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
I was thinking about my reply to Big Al, and in a previous post, he mentioned getting a Malibu Maxx as a daily driver. See, my problem is, no matter how much "brand loyalty" I have, I'm not going to buy a $20,000++, ugly, and boring car just because its a Chevy and thats what they have. No offense to Big Al, if you genuinely like it thats all that matters, but it seems like Chevy thinks that its brand loyalty will sell products no matter how wierd or ugly they are.

What floors me is this... THIS is what the Malibu should have looked like:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4065/...er-concept.jpg

That thing is inspiring to me! Yes, for the street it'd need to be toned down a bit, but tell me that doesn't do SOMETHING for you? True, its using the old body style, but I genuinely think the 97-02ish Malibu was 1000000x better than the new one!

Compare the above pic to this:

http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/chevro...4dr_2199_1.jpg.

This is some company's idea of a body kit...
I like the new one better...honestly. If only Chevy offered 17" wheels as stated before, I think the Malibu (esp the Maxx) would look 100x better. The same applies to that picture you posted...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
You drove the old Malibu, it is now called Chevy Classic and is only sold to Fleets. The new Malibu isn't sold to car rental companies. The interior on the new Malibu is very good, the exterior is kind of plain.

No, I drove the NEW Malibu, and yes, it is sold to fleets because the car was provided by Enterprise Car rental. You and I definitely disagree on the new interior - what I described is the impression it made on me. I had certain expectations because everyone here on the board was saying how much the new interior is improved. While I agree it is improved, it still screams cheap. The car was a base car, though, and I would think that higher up models have nicer interiors. BUT. Get into base Accord and base Camry. Then compare.

Last edited by muckz; 07-20-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
I like the new one better...honestly.
Any particular reason? I'm really curious as to why you like the new over the old...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Wow....you picked the Mazda 6 as a "stylish" car? Tell me...what is so awesome about its looks? It looks just like any other sedan out there, nothing to really seperate it outside of an outragous color.
And the MB!! It doesnt look bad, but its not inspiring me to buy one outside of its near 500hp engine...but for 80k, I would hope for something like that. There isnt much that comes from MB that is cool looking outside of teh SLK, SL and SLR. Everything else is pretty much just your standard sedan. What make you want it is its because its a MB.
As for the Nissan 350z, I hear more people complain about its styling then anything. I, for one, do like its style. Ill give you that one, but what about the rest of Nissans line up? Murano? Quest? Altima? Maxima? Fugly.

So why just pick 3 cars that have nothing to do with Chevy? The Mazda6 looks boring, sorry. What, its wing is just right up your ally? I would much rather have a Malibu Maxx with about the same hp for much cheaper then the Mazda 6.
Why dont we compared Chevy's stylish cars vs everyone elses? Why pick the 3 "boring" cars? So it suits you?
Why not compare the Corvette C6 to the 350z?
How about the Cobalt SS to the Mazda 6?
I dont understand why you brought up MB. I think Chevy, as well as a lot of other GM cars, look very good and fit there market place well.
why not post pictures of the Camry? Accord?
Just another Doomsday thread.

Once again, this shows that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, i happen to agree with Dante, even on Mazda6. Though falling under the category of utility vehicles (bland, in other words), it actually is more stylish than Malibu (sigh, subjective, I know). When looking at the whole package, which includes exterior and interior, Mazda6 is a generataion ahead of the Malibu.

What I see GM do is catch up with competitors one generation behind. The current Malibu and Impala can at best "match" interior design/fit/finish of Japanese competitors from one or two generations back. They really do not do anything at this point to set the bar themselves, and their attempts to improve "look and feel" are, unfortunately, not going very well. Since we're on the subject of Mazda6, just take a look at the dashboard pieces and you cannot not admit that they fit much better together. Look at the quality of dashboard material itself. Compare to Jetta, or Accord, or Camry. Granted, both Acc. and Camry have bland interiors - but how nicely executed from design to implementation.

And while MB carries a name with it, its styling is beautiful. Why? Because attention is paid to detail. This is something I don't see with GM. There is overall bulky package with no time spent working out the finer points.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:25 PM

Old 07-20-2004, 03:28 PM

Any particular reason? I'm really curious as to why you like the new over the old...
I guess just personal preference. The pic you posted of the previous gen looks a bit to "ricey" for me (for lack of a better term). That car looks nothing like a Malibu Classic after all the body mods/wheels/slammed look were added. I think if nice wheels were added to the new picture, it would look great.

edit...the body side molding needs to be removed from the new Malibu in that picture as well...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
I guess just personal preference. The pic you posted of the previous gen looks a bit to "ricey" for me (for lack of a better term). That car looks nothing like a Malibu Classic after all the body mods/wheels/slammed look were added. I think if nice wheels were added to the new picture, it would look great.
I guess I should have stated what I like about the green r1cish looking one... I don't like the body cladding all that much. Its far too low and the body panels are far to low for me. I like the front end. I like the whole look in the grill and the hood. I think it'd look good with some fog lights in the side scoops in the front bumper cover. I'm not into the rice look, but the front end is what I guess I should have pointed out the first time.

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 07-20-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:52 PM

They need to do something about the styling. The new Malibu (that front end has GOT to go), Impala, Monte Carlo, Cavalier, need serious help. Even the Cobalt is only okay. They are NEVER going to gain market share with this type of styling, unless they wait 20 years for the public perception of GM quality to catch up to reality. With that said:

ATTENTION GM: YOU CAN SELL A GOOD LOOKING CAR TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT STYLE, BUT YOU CAN'T SELL AN UGLY CAR TO SOMEONE WHO DOES.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:08 AM

Anyone watch OVERHAULIN tonight? They did a '67 Nova.

It hit me while watching.....

There was a time when even the lowliest, cheapest, most basic utilitarian econo-car that Chevy offered was good looking. What ever happened to that strategy?

Last edited by Z284ever; 07-21-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:29 AM

Yup. Someone has stolen the key to style at Chevy and refuses to give it back. There were Chevys of almost every time that I could say I liked, except now and alot of the 90's. But now, is just the lousiest of ALL. They need help and fast. Boring an uninspiring doesn't even to begin to describe it.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:46 AM

I drove by my local Chevy dealer on the way home from work last night and just got p!ssed.

They have NOTHING on the lot that looks great and to attract everyone's attention onto the lot, theres an:

Yellow SSR
C5
Colorado
Duramax 2500 Silverado with bling rims
and a last ditch attempt at bringing some attention to the Cavalier... theres a Silver with black racing stripes model out front (actually looks halfway decent but its still a 10+ year old body design).

Anyway, the only other stuff on the lot car-wise were a few Impalas, a Monte or two, and some misc other used stuff...
Old 07-21-2004, 08:51 AM

...Duramax 2500 Silverado with bling rims...

At our local dealer they have a Aveo out front with huge and hideous chrome wheels. They're probably only like 17 inchers, but they look huge.