Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Who should be the overall performance leader, Chevrolet or Pontiac??
Chevrolet
50.55%
Pontiac
49.45%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Chevrolet vs. Pontiac: Who should have the faster cars overall??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
At any rate.....I can handle the G6 being more performance oriented than the Malibu SS and even the Comp G being faster than Impala SS. I can also accept the GTO as an ultra performance Pontiac halo car....but the top Camaro must perform at least as well or better.
I agree wholeheartedly there, and I really think that's all we're talking about. Malibu and Impala should be the bread-and-butter people movers for GM when compared to the Pontiacs built on the same platform. The Camaro needs to be a world class sports coupe though and that means performance to match or exceed whatever else is in its price range, including stuff from Pontiac.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:48 AM

Pontiac should generally have the faster cars...

You can explain away Corvette as a "value leader" in the supercar segment!
Old 11-16-2003, 05:05 PM

Personally I would rather carry the bowtie flag over a uhhh well... Pontiac thingy flag.

I think I can deal with it though... since the 5.7 is Chevy blood.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
Personally I would rather carry the bowtie flag over a uhhh well... Pontiac thingy flag.

I think I can deal with it though... since the 5.7 is Chevy blood.
Honestly, I would like to see some new actual Pontiac motors
Old 11-16-2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
Honestly, I would like to see some new actual Pontiac motors
You'll never see that again under the current structure that has GM Powertrain as one entity....
Old 11-16-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 I think I can deal with it though... since the 5.7 is Chevy blood.
I don't agree. There are no divisional motors anymore. GM Powertrain serves all equally.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:20 PM

If Pontiac had the faster regular cars I'd be fine with it, but when it comes to the Camaro and Corvette (or any other sports or musclecar that they come out with) that changes completely.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
You'll never see that again under the current structure that has GM Powertrain as one entity....
Yeah I know, but unless Pontiac releases another car with a big pheonix on the hood, Im probbaly done with them anyway. And the pheonix thing is looking dim, so I can dream cant I?

Ever since, I was like 6 and saw Smokey and the Bandit for the first time, Ive dreamed of the day, that I could roll a brand new black Trans Am, off the lot. And now Im being robbed of that dream. It serisouly nearly makes me cry thinking about it. I mean I feel that buying a new Trans Am sometime in my life is a reasonable dream. But Im being f***** out of it. So I'm not to happy with Pontiac right now.

I like the GTO, and some of their other concepts, but nothing that I wouldnt spring for a 5th gen Z or a C6 over.

Last edited by DarthIROC; 11-16-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:26 PM

How can Pontiac be the "Excitement" division without more excitement then Chevrolet?

Corvette has it's undisputed place....I mean hell even Cadilac can't get a faster car.

But after that every Pontiac should be faster than it's Chevrolet platform mate...otherwise why have Pontiac? Pontiac's cost more....take away the performance quotent, and buying a Pontiac just doesn't make sense?

IMO if all Chevrolets were as fast as Pontiacs, Pontiac would become pretty useless real quick.

I remember a line in "All Corvettes are Red" that basically states that Chevrolet was viewed as GM's brand for "people that had trouble paying thier bills", and that they wrestled with how to market the preium Corvette under the name plate and fit it under the price structure.

Last edited by formula79; 11-16-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by formula79
How can Pontiac be the "Excitement" division without more excitement then Chevrolet?

Because that's nothing more than marketing mumbo jumbo. The GTO will be a very fast personal luxury car. The Camaro's emphasis should be more on "sport". Like I said previously,....I can live with the "civilian" cars being more sporty from Pontiac, but Corvette and Camaro are a special case.

There is little point to having a Camaro that doesn't perform as well or better than a Goat.

Did I mention that Camaro competes directly with Mustang?

Last edited by Z284ever; 11-16-2003 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Because that's nothing more than marketing mumbo jumbo. The GTO will be a very fast personal luxury car.

There is little point to having a Camaro that doesn't perform as well or better than a Goat.

Did I mention that Camaro competes directly with Mustang?
Although I think a 5th gen Camaro will compete with the GTO, as far as performance. I dont think it would be pointless to ahve one even if it didnt, if GM does things right and makes the Camaro substantially less expensive than the GTO.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:39 PM

imo, pontiac has that upscale look and feel to it, and cost more
so i think, all pontiac cars should have more powerthan chevys (excluding camaro and vette)
and i think that the camaro should be less "frills" interior with mroe power, while the goat is more luxurious but offers a little bit less power (which it does offer less already if you compare the power to weight ratio of it and the 2002 camaros)
Old 11-17-2003, 01:52 AM

I voted for Chevy. Pontiac doesn't even make their own engines any longer. GM will not let the Covette be out performed by anything else in the GM line-up; even the GTO(Using the Chevy made LS1) will be docked 10 horsies than the current C5. Pontiac is for those that want flashy *Firebird, Sunfire* cars compared to those that want a "less frills" *Camaro, Cavalier* approach. Pontiac does supercharge their Bonneville and GTP compared to the Impala and Monte Carlo, but even then Chevy has their SUPER FAST and SUPER FURIOUS Silverado SS. Chevy OVERALL will have faster cars than Pontiac.

Last edited by Melee Penguin; 11-17-2003 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by §h@dow Dr@gon
I voted for Chevy. Pontiac doesn't even make their own engines any longer.
Technically, neither does Chevy. GM Powertrain is one singular entity.

GM will not let the Covette be out performed by anything else in the GM line-up; even the GTO(Using the Chevy made LS1) will be docked 10 horsies than the current C5.
Wrong again. The GTO has a 350 horsepower rating, equal to that of Corvette and 365 foot-pounds of torque, 5 more than the automatic Vette. And the myth that Corvette cannot be outperformed by another GM product has been blown up so many times around here I can't even count.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
And the myth that Corvette cannot be outperformed by another GM product has been blown up so many times around here I can't even count.
But not recently, not since the 80's.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet vs. Pontiac: Who should have the faster cars overall??