Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cammer 5.0 + 2006/7 Mustang =

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:54 PM

Cammer 5.0 + 2006/7 Mustang =

???

If they made a street legal limited edition, and called it a Boss, with all the goodies like louvers on the rear window...orange/black paint...black hood...

They seem to have developed this engine but as far as I know, its not planned to be in any cars. What do you guys think?

(there was a picture, which is now my background, of a yellow 05 with 'cammer 5.0' on the body at one of the shows...)
Old 11-07-2004, 08:45 PM

Re: Cammer 5.0 + 2006/7 Mustang =

I belive Boss is the next "retro" themed Mustang to follow the Bullit and Mach1. 5.0 Cammer motor would be a good motor, but how expensive would it be to just make that 1 engine for just a limited number of cars?
Old 11-07-2004, 09:17 PM

I cant wait for the Boss. My best friend has a Grabber Orange 70' Boss. Such a sexy car! I hope they bring back the grabber colors too!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I cant wait for the Boss. My best friend has a Grabber Orange 70' Boss. Such a sexy car! I hope they bring back the grabber colors too!
I was all anxious with ants in the pants when I read on mach1registry.com that they were going to bring back the orange for 2004, but I was disappointed in: 1. its color, especially under the sun 2. to see them available in the v6.

The orange is the most kickass color, and if it does come available for the Boss, I'll have to buy one as well. with so many reds available for the 99-04's, hopefully a new orange wont be too much to ask for.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:35 AM

They need to put the 5.0 cammer into this one. I think it is the chin spoiler, but it heavily reminds me of the BOSS.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/show...4/SEMA-110.jpg
Old 11-08-2004, 10:55 AM

the cammer is a race motor and is not emmisions legal. It would have to be a toned down variant.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
the cammer is a race motor and is not emmisions legal. It would have to be a toned down variant.
i did specify 'street legal' in the first sentence..
Old 11-09-2004, 12:22 AM

They are even gonna make the same looking cars, with the same colors, with the same add-ons, with the same names, all over again? Lets hear it for F*rd and creativity!

Almost all these cars at SEMA try to make the car look even more like the way back models, from spoilers to scoops. I don't see how people do not find it ridiculous/cheap plagerism instead of bringing something new to the brand. This Gen of M*stang will be remembered as the Gen that did nothing but take from the 60's cars model for model, so much for being unique. I mean the car already looks like them, are they gonna go all the way? The car with the front spoiler does look better, but it also kinda looks like an IROC-Z's front GFX in black that doesn't continue all the way around in the same size.

Last edited by IZ28; 11-09-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by IZ28
They are even gonna make the same looking cars, with the same colors, with the same add-ons, with the same names, all over again? Lets hear it for F*rd and creativity!

Almost all these cars at SEMA try to make the car look even more like the way back models, from spoilers to scoops. I don't see how people do not find it ridiculous/cheap plagerism instead of bringing something new to the brand. This Gen of M*stang will be remembered as the Gen that did nothing but take from the 60's cars model for model, so much for being unique. I mean the car already looks like them, are they gonna go all the way? The car with the front spoiler does look better, but it also kinda looks like an IROC-Z's front GFX in black and not continued all the way around.
I feel like you do, that the whole retro thing is burnt, but they chose it and they might as well go all out now.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:08 AM

Almost all these cars at SEMA try to make the car look even more like the way back models, from spoilers to scoops. I don't see how people do not find it ridiculous/cheap plagerism instead of bringing something new to the brand. This Gen of M*stang will be remembered as the Gen that did nothing but take from the 60's cars model for model, so much for being unique. I mean the car already looks like them, are they gonna go all the way? The car with the front spoiler does look better, but it also kinda looks like an IROC-Z's front GFX in black that doesn't continue all the way around in the same size.
Ok, let all that repressed anger out While some feel the way you do, most do not. I think you're projecting your own disappointments (about Camaro)onto this car. This car has a FEW features of the 1967 Mustang or any other specific year. I should know, I HAVE ONE. Side by side these cars look DIFFERENT! If you can't see that then there is something seriously wrong with you. JMO
Old 11-09-2004, 10:20 AM

Almost all these cars at SEMA try to make the car look even more like the way back models, from spoilers to scoops. I don't see how people do not find it ridiculous/cheap plagerism instead of bringing something new to the brand. This Gen of M*stang will be remembered as the Gen that did nothing but take from the 60's cars model for model, so much for being unique. I mean the car already looks like them, are they gonna go all the way?
So? I for once don't take such history/heritage for granted, and niether does Ford. You want something completely new? buy something with no history or heritage like a Camry. You'll get an All-new, cue-less, history-less car generation after generation. I see nothing wrong with Ford using names, colors, add-ons, etc.... from its history rich lineage. So you'd rather have "X name with no history" over "Boss, Mach-1, etc..."? Guess our opinions differ in that respect.

And creativity has been lacking in the automotive segment for decades. Every car looks like the other one. From the C6 looking like a c5, NSX, s2000, Viper hybrid; to the GTO resembling a GP, as well as the new 360 looking like a baby Enzo and all the lambo's looking alike. Pontiac and Honda tried to get too creative and they birthed two of the ugliest vehicles known to man, Asstech and Uglyment.

Maybe i'm just a simple guy. I see nothing wrong with borrowing from the past just as long as the finished product is "appealing". Oh well *shrug*.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
So? I for once don't take such history/heritage for granted, and niether does Ford. You want something completely new? buy something with no history or heritage like a Camry. You'll get an All-new, cue-less, history-less car generation after generation. I see nothing wrong with Ford using names, colors, add-ons, etc.... from its history rich lineage. So you'd rather have "X name with no history" over "Boss, Mach-1, etc..."? Guess our opinions differ in that respect.

And creativity has been lacking in the automotive segment for decades. Every car looks like the other one. From the C6 looking like a c5, NSX, s2000, Viper hybrid; to the GTO resembling a GP, as well as the new 360 looking like a baby Enzo and all the lambo's looking alike. Pontiac and Honda tried to get too creative and they birthed two of the ugliest vehicles known to man, Asstech and Uglyment.

Maybe i'm just a simple guy. I see nothing wrong with borrowing from the past just as long as the finished product is "appealing". Oh well *shrug*.
So not being original in design, and using old ideas is fine.

How about if a company could use a NEW design, yet keep the "history" of teh car alive? Example: Corvette. Despite what you think about its multi-car hyrbid, it is most deffinatly a Corvette in every aspect and angle. There is no denying it when you see it on the road. Its not a Ferrari, its not a Viper, and its not a NSX. It IS a Corvette. Long, wide nose, check. 2 seat configuration; check, short deck; check, a$$ ripping torque monster small block; check. Now all that history of the Vette is still there with a high output small block pushing past a lot of exotic cars, yet still keeping its bang-for-the-buck history. GM didnt go back to 58 and design a car off there, they gave the Corvette a modern design and evolution to bring the Corvette into a new age.
As for the GTO, it always was just another Pontiac. It never had a special body or was it ever a seperate design. It was an enhanced lower end model, Tempest or LeMans. It wasnt like the Firebird, where it was based on its own chassis and own design, the GTO always looked like a Pontiac, and I dont see any problems. If anything, the older GTO looks closer to the older Grand Prix, then comparing the new ones. First thing that jumps out to me is the lack of the second set of doors on the GTO. Dont know if you picked up on that yet....
Either way, the Mustangs design is a retro throwback to when the Mustang was a huge pop icon. Im sure we will all see our fair share of Gone In 60 sec rip offs driving around. I think that Ford did not look ahead, and they needed a huge hit now. What will Ford do for a next design that will top this? With the Corvette, they keep making the car better and better with sharper design, and more performance. Mustang, they just took a 40 year step back in design. How is Ford going to match the hype and success of this Mustang in the next generation? Ford should have continue to evolove the design of the last Mustang and give it a truly modern look to it.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
So not being original in design, and using old ideas is fine.

How about if a company could use a NEW design, yet keep the "history" of teh car alive? Example: Corvette. Despite what you think about its multi-car hyrbid, it is most deffinatly a Corvette in every aspect and angle. There is no denying it when you see it on the road. Its not a Ferrari, its not a Viper, and its not a NSX. It IS a Corvette. Long, wide nose, check. 2 seat configuration; check, short deck; check, a$$ ripping torque monster small block; check. Now all that history of the Vette is still there with a high output small block pushing past a lot of exotic cars, yet still keeping its bang-for-the-buck history. GM didnt go back to 58 and design a car off there, they gave the Corvette a modern design and evolution to bring the
Corvette into a new age.
See that's where out opinions differ. I look at the 05 mustang, and i see a thoroughly modern car "with" retro cues. You see 60's mustang, and i see a mix of old and new with a different flare. Guess our perceptions are on opposite ends.

As for the GTO, it always was just another Pontiac. It never had a special body or was it ever a seperate design. It was an enhanced lower end model, Tempest or LeMans. It wasnt like the Firebird, where it was based on its own chassis and own design, the GTO always looked like a Pontiac, and I dont see any problems. If anything, the older GTO looks closer to the older Grand Prix, then comparing the new ones. First thing that jumps out to me is the lack of the second set of doors on the GTO. Dont know if you picked up on that yet....
Ahh, so there are exceptions to the creativity rule. Like a car can only be unoriginal or lacking in the creativity department if it's retro? So a modern looking car is automatically "original" and "creative" despite looking like every other car in its brand lineup? If it looks like every other Pontiac, then clearly, creativity has to be taken into question as well. I really like the GTO, and personally don't mind it looking like a GP becuase i find the overall style appealing despite the lack of excitement. It's not my gripe, because in the end, i won't mind a vehicle with conservative or retro styling just as long as it isn't "ugly".

My original point was, very few cars are "original" today. Even the wildly successful 300 is said to be a Bently rip-off. BMW's all look alike, Cadillacs are beginig to look alike. I really don't see anyone in the automotive segment doing anything ground breaking as far as styling. It's something the whole industry is guilty of imo.

How is Ford going to match the hype and success of this Mustang in the next generation? Ford should have continue to evolove the design of the last Mustang and give it a truly modern look to it.
By building on it, how else? Why can't this design evolve? Believe it or not, there are option past the recreation of the Mustang II.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:29 PM

Not to add fuel to the fire but.....

I was kinda iffy on the retro looks of the 'Stang at first, but when it comes down to it, PaperTarget is right. The new one certainly does resemble the older one, but it is different enough. And all else aside, it looks kickass, its gonna spawn all kinds of special edition models (something I wish the Camaro would do), and its gonna create alot more traffic into Ford's showrooms.

Not to mention this is also the first Mustang I've known since the old 5.0's that has actually drawn the younger generation towards it like a magnet. Nearly everyone my age (23) that I know and talk to loves the looks of the new 'stang. My roommate was gonna buy a 350z this spring, yet now thats gone and a black '05 GT is now at the top of his list. Greatest thing about it, hes gonna end up paying less for the Mustang.

Thats only one concrete example, but this car has created a buzz, and its gonna do wonders for Ford I believe.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:07 PM

Honestly, the people on the "MUSTANG = RETRO OMFG NO!" bandwagon are the hardcore GM die-hards who'd never buy a Mustang just because it's a Mustang. The whole "it looks just like a 67 Mustang!" is a load of crap. I could ask a 3 year old if the two were the same car, and they'd say no. Because they look different. The new Mustang does have a lot of ties to the classic Mustang....good! The 4th gen Camaro, or the new 'vette for that matter, have almost no ties to the original cars. The only reason we know that they're the same car is that they look somewhat similar to the last version....which looked somewhat similar to the version before that....etc, etc.

Ford is taking advantage of the fact that it's cars have heritage. So? I wish GM would do the same. The cars of the 60's are heralded as some of the best designs in automotive history. The new Mustang reminds us of that, while looking completely at home with modern designs like the 350Z. Good job Ford.

Either way, for every "bowtie or die! Mustang = suck!" guy like we have on this board, there's 10 people who absolutely love the new Mustang, like just about every person I've talked to about it.

Quick Reply: Cammer 5.0 + 2006/7 Mustang =