Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Re: Camaro Z/28

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
I wish GM would ditch the seat belt chime, not sure if it's a fed regulation, but it is one of the pet peeves I have with modern cars. I wish they would get rid of the ugly warning stickers as well. Would of saved some more weight and some cost
I have no idea what my seat belt chime sounds like so I guess you could say I don't need it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM

LS7 is significantly more expensive than the LSA. Short of the LS9, it is by far the most expensive engine that GM makes.

It is a hand built engine. LSA is not.

It costs a lot of money to take features out of cars these days, as it completely changes the assembly process. This is why all cars have power locks.......... it costs more to make 2 different door panels, than it does to pay for the power locks. There are a lot of Z/28 specific parts on this car, and that costs a lot of money (no economies of scale).

I think the Z/28 looks very good (short of the back, and that weird mail sorter thing in the hood). It will be interesting to read these threads, when the pricing comes out.

Oh, I would imagine that if you "slapped" a LS7 into a SS/1LE, it would increase the price by $10K-15K. Not a cheap proposition by any means. This Z/28 made sense, as GM could use the LS7 engines that they already had built (but didn't sell, due to low Vette sales).
Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
I think the Z/28 looks very good (short of the back, and that weird mail sorter thing in the hood). It will be interesting to read these threads, when the pricing comes out. ).
I don't think any real enthusiast will be surprised to see the Z/28 as the highest priced (non COPO) Camaro on the market. With the impressive list of features and like you mentioned de-content enthusiasts know this car won't be cheap. Performance isn't cheap but you get what you pay for as this car will no doubt perform at the absolute highest levels in the pony car segment.

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Oh, I would imagine that if you "slapped" a LS7 into a SS/1LE, it would increase the price by $10K-15K. Not a cheap proposition by any means. This Z/28 made sense, as GM could use the LS7 engines that they already had built (but didn't sell, due to low Vette sales).
While C6 sales were indeed low at the end of their 9 MY production run. Z06 and ZR1 sales were within their low production target range to the end. As you mentioned the LS7 and LS9 are hand built. So there isn't excess mass produced engines siting around waiting for a car. These engines are built to fill orders. And not to mention the Z/28 is a year away so those LS7's have yet to be built.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM

The Z/28 is more of a way to keep LS7 production going (save for crate motor production).
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM

How many are they going to make, not many I'd say..... Let me guess 28!....Lol!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Yes, it has one speaker. The seat belt chime comes from the head unit so that had to stay too.
If true, this is absurd.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
If true, this is absurd.
You mean that the sounds come through the head unit? I think this is true of almost all the sounds in a GM car nowadays - the turn signals, door chimes, warning buzzers, etc.

There are lots of stories on the Internet about people replacing head units then suddenly realizing their car makes no noises but music
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
You mean that the sounds come through the head unit? I think this is true of almost all the sounds in a GM car nowadays - the turn signals, door chimes, warning buzzers, etc.

There are lots of stories on the Internet about people replacing head units then suddenly realizing their car makes no noises but music
No, just the idea that someone is paying ~Z06 money for a car, and the dash will still look like it has a fully functional stereo (and I assume that it will still play CDs, pull in radio stations, etc.), but said someone will get to listen to his / her music selection through one tiny speaker. Should sound really nice.

They should allow the option of leaving the stereo intact, at no cost. I bet 98/100 owners would opt for that.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM

No, just the idea that someone is paying ~Z06 money for a car, and the dash will still look like it has a fully functional stereo (and I assume that it will still play CDs, pull in radio stations, etc.), but said someone will get to listen to his / her music selection through one tiny speaker. Should sound really nice.
Yeah, you'd think if they're going through the trouble of removing speakers, they'd remove the head unit and design a small, simple module that will just play the basic chimes to go in its place.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

I was thinking Boss 302 money when this was announced...not more expensive than a ZL1.

I love the concept, hate the price. I too would've been all for a 1LE with a LS7. $70,000 for this car is insane. $60,000 is insane. $50,000 is kinda nuts.

I will continue to wait for Gen 6. GM really, really, really does not want to give us a lightweight, elemental Camaro normal people can afford. I was genuinely really excited about this car until I came in this thread and found out the price. I drove a 2010 2SS today that a customer wants to trade for an SRT8 Challenger. I know the Z28 doesn't fix the core things I dislike about the 5th gen (size, overall bulk, horrific visibility), but with an LS7 at a not-insane price, its easier to overlook those issues.

I keep hoping GM will make a new Camaro I can afford, and actually want. Until then, I will continue to enjoy the 3 I have
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I love the concept, hate the price. I too would've been all for a 1LE with a LS7. $70,000 for this car is insane. $60,000 is insane. $50,000 is kinda nuts.
Here's where the Corvette ceiling comes into play again. LS7 is no doubt one of GM's premium motors, hand built, second only to the LS9. What does a Z06 base for these days, $77k?

You can't offer the LS7 in a Camaro, any Camaro, for $40,000. I fully realize Camaro is not Corvette, but you can't undercut the Z06 that dramatically. I thought it was understood that an LS7 Camaro would not be cheap. Throw in the exotic brakes and the other unique changes and you've got one expensive car.

The 5th Gen isn't for me either, I'm looking forward to a 6th Gen that is light and nimble without having to go through extreme/tedious weight reduction measures and is reasonably priced because of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Here's where the Corvette ceiling comes into play again. LS7 is no doubt one of GM's premium motors, hand built, second only to the LS9. What does a Z06 base for these days, $77k?
Of course that comes with a different chassis/body than the base Corvette, incorporating a lot of aluminum and some carbon fiber as well, Z06 is not just an LS7-engined Corvette.

You can't offer the LS7 in a Camaro, any Camaro, for $40,000. I fully realize Camaro is not Corvette, but you can't undercut the Z06 that dramatically.
If you can make money doing it, of course you can and should. But I've never argued for less than $45k for an LS7-engined Camaro.

I thought it was understood that an LS7 Camaro would not be cheap. Throw in the exotic brakes and the other unique changes and you've got one expensive car.
Yup. Those brakes are too exotic to be standard on the Z06!

The 5th Gen isn't for me either, I'm looking forward to a 6th Gen that is light and nimble without having to go through extreme/tedious weight reduction measures and is reasonably priced because of it.
ME TOO!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM

If true, this is absurd.
They had to balance the weight savings with the cost. Leaving the head unit and one speaker was the best way to take out as much of the sound system as possible while staying legal and keeping the cost in check. If they took out the headunit they would have to develop some new electronic device to produce the seatbelt chime and make a panel to cover the gaping hole in the dash.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM

I find it amusing that now that GM has given "Top Dog" billing to the Z/28. Most people are bitching that it will cost too much.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Toukijin
I find it amusing that now that GM has given "Top Dog" billing to the Z/28. Most people are bitching that it will cost too much.
It's Z06 money for a Camaro. I think it's justified. Most of knew it wouldn't be cheap... but we didn't think it would jump whole entire stratospheres.

Quick Reply: Camaro Z/28