Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro/Firebird in 2033?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by centric
Okay. Corporate politics really need to end. NOW.

It's not like they're hiding some scientific advancement that will win them the Nobel Prize. It's not like they're great statesmen. It's a simple announcement--we WILL do this car, we WON'T do this car. Stop playing. Stop hiding. Tell us once and for all.

My wife is already signed up on the waiting list for a 2005 Mustang.

I will be picking up a 2004 Viper.

If they don't screw up the Solstice, I'll get one of those. If the C6 doesn't have too many Aztek genes, I'll get one of those. Until then, there's nothing worth talking about.

Anyone at GM listening?
Will you adopt me?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:32 AM

ROTFL!!

I'd like to know what that dude does?!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:40 AM

I think this whole situation goes way beyond corporate politics.

It's a simple announcement--we WILL do this car, we WON'T do this car. Stop playing. Stop hiding. Tell us once and for all.
***Beating head against wall***
Old 01-17-2003, 07:07 AM

We need that post at the top of this board. You guys gotta read better through these replies, its posted so many times. They CAN NOT talk about it for numerous reasons!! Its gonna be a while but the car will be back in a few years.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:56 AM

It's not like they're hiding some scientific advancement that will win them the Nobel Prize. It's not like they're great statesmen. It's a simple announcement--we WILL do this car, we WON'T do this car. Stop playing. Stop hiding. Tell us once and for all.

My wife is already signed up on the waiting list for a 2005 Mustang.

I will be picking up a 2004 Viper.

If they don't screw up the Solstice, I'll get one of those. If the C6 doesn't have too many Aztek genes, I'll get one of those. Until then, there's nothing worth talking about.

Anyone at GM listening?
Ok, so say they come out and say they're not going to do it, ever. Then what? They can't ever use the name again?

Or what if they came out and said "Yes, we're working on it." Then these arguments would just turn into "f'ing GM, won't give us any details, blah blah blah". So they give us some details. Ford looks at those, at tries to make the mustang one step up.

Right now, IF there is a camaro being worked on but being called something else, it has a pretty big leg-up on the mustang. Ford has started flashing their hand around, so now GM would have a target to meet and beat.

And to everyone (not just centric) I say just be patient, and if you can't wait, buy something else, but quit whining about it.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Personally, i think its goes something like this: There are a number of us in GM that want to do it, but we don't know what we'll built it to, we'll build it on, how much to build, and how we're going to market it.... cause not enough are compelled to build it and throw resources at it..

Maybe in a few years, if the Mustang sells well, and if GM gets into a better shape, they'll revisit the formula.... If they don't by then, I really believe the 30 year old joke...
Old 01-17-2003, 03:01 PM

So I was frustrated when I wrote my rant last night.

But a flip, off-the-cuff remark by Bob Lutz says, "The Camaro is beneath consideration." He's done a lot of what he's said he would do, so it makes me very, very worried about the future.

I'm whining because I truly do want GM to succeed, to come back and decimate the competition. I'm whining because I know they can do it, but I'm not sure that they will.

GM: you have willing buyers. Passionate buyers. And not for SUVs.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:11 PM

A lot of these replies I'm seeing are saying things to the effect that GM can't talk about the camaro. Well guess what the just did! The only blunt and straight to the point things ever said about the camaro have been things that parallel this latest statement. It might be time to stop dwelling and move on.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:34 AM

if he really said that then all i have to say is 'fawk lutz'
thats it
there no more to it...
Old 01-18-2003, 01:15 AM

Maybe it was a typo on the part of the magazine and he meant 3 years, not 30. I mean the zero is right next to the space bar. Oh wait.. it's nowhere near.. oops. Seriously though, you guys are reading way too much into that. Sounds like he maybe was in a groggy mood that day and didn't feel like answering that question for the umpteenth consecutive time. i.e. He was being blatantly sarcastic. At least that's what I'm hoping. But if he was being sincere, then......
Old 01-18-2003, 02:02 AM
cmc

Paraphrased from Bob Lutz's Auto-Week statement, "Please go buy somebody else's car."

I think it's pretty clear-cut. Either he's a terrible businessman (there's no precedent for this), or he's telling the truth.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:32 AM

Man,

I'm glad that Bob Putz thinks he's a comedian. After all, he is an awesome performance car kinda guy. I mean, him and his team came up with that new GTO all by themselves......Oh wait, they stole it. That's right. Well, hmmmmm........... At least there's that....Oh, ummmmm..... how bout that stellar malibu, I bet that can smoke the **** off a .....uh.......neon??? no, that's supercharged now, um......I guess it might be able to beat a focus, non svt'd. GM, eat a big one. Time to fire ol BOBBY there. I don't understand how it can be so hard to see the big picture. Oh, ya I do, FAHQ the GM and Camaro loyalists, we don't need you, we are building SS SUV'S!!!!!! Wow, they will smoke any f-body anyway......um, no wait, ya! In a demolition derby!!!!