Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cadillac vs. Chrysler--Real Buyer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

Re: Cadillac vs. Chrysler--Real Buyer Experience

Originally Posted by PacerX
The car still has a key, goof-ball, and you can still unlock it and get in and put it in the ignition if you want. But...

When was the last time you started a car with a dead battery??? Is that not by definition a condition where the car will not start regardless of whether or not you have a key???

"Well, the battery is dead, but I feel so much better about the whole deal since I can put the key in the ignition and continue to note the fact that the battery is dead since it won't start..."

What the hell?

Oh yeah, and how did you manage to HAVE the keyfob, but LOSE the key on the same ring?????
I'm talking about dead batteries in both keyless remotes. Yes, the batteries in the keyless remotes - not the car battery.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dav305z
Ok I'll bite. Uh, didn't you have a key for the Camaro?
That's the whole point. I actually had a key that I could put in the keyhole on the driver's side door so I could unlock the car. Then I took my other key, put it in the ignition switch and actually started the car.

Then I drove off to buy two new batteries for my keyless remotes.

If there had been no key, keyholes, or ignition switch I would have been out of luck.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:08 PM

8k markups on 300c? wtf kind of dealership is that. my brother just bought a 300c at invoice minus $1,000 rebate for financing.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aeromaks
8k markups on 300c? wtf kind of dealership is that. my brother just bought a 300c at invoice minus $1,000 rebate for financing.
That's why I refered to the east coast as the right coast.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:42 PM

i guess it depends on where you go. I'm in LA and there is no way I would accept 8k over sticker.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by centric
300c
Also a surprise. Car drove great, loads of power and really nice subdued V8 growl. Also very German. I suppose the traditional wallowly American luxobarge is truly dead. My business partner loved the car.
This is the only part that I somewhat disagree with. I've rode in an acquaintances 300C once and thought the sound was very weak for a V8...Even from the outside it sounded like it was a V6 or something. That was the only thing that disapointed me about the 300C...I guess most buyers won't care really, but for someone like me that made a difference in the way I view the car.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:44 PM

You know, a lot of people are like that lady in your story. My parents would be intimidated by a car like the STS. Or any luxury vechile with a display screen for that matter. I don't think they would ever buy a car with screen in it simply because it reminds them of their frustrations with the computer at work. I'm in the kind of in the same boat. While I wouldn't be intimidated by a car like the STS, I'd find all these "luxuries" are more like annoyances. I have to adapt to the car, the car doesn't adapt to me. Only things really needed for luxury are comfy heated leather seats, sunroof, flawless interior execution with nice wood and pimp gauges, and a kicking stereo.

Maybe that should be Buick's marketing niche. Easy to use luxury. I think many, many, many people would be happy to have a luxury car in a more user friendly vain than what the Germans are making now.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 AM

I'm still having a hard time believing the STS is offered with a V6 for $45K. Had to go check on Edmunds just to make sure people on here weren't making typos.

WTF is that all about?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:19 AM

A couple of points:

1. I wouldn't have bought the 300 either, but it's not my car.

2. She paid below sticker (about 1k) on the 300 she got. The stupid markups appear to be there to scare away the tire-kickers.

3. I was amazed that the 300 interior materials appeared to be better than the STS. Exterior fit and finish on the STS was a different league than the 300, however, as you would expect.

4. The no-key thing really needs explaining, but the salesman wasn't doing his job. After prompting, he told her yes, it had a warning on the fob when the battery was low, and yes, you could get in the car without it. But none of this up-front, even when she looked terrified at the prospect of owning a car "without a key."

I'll be steering people back to the Caddy dealer. They're nice guys, and should have gotten a sale.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM

Sorry but for me the fact that Cadillac and Chrysler would even be compared is troubling. I personally would NEVER make this comparison. Unfortunately for your partner, the 300 will end up being a rattle trap piece of crap in the long run and the Cadillac will not. As a newly former Chrysler technician, Chrysler is an inferior product in my opinion. From a Neon through a loaded 300, they are poor.

I personally would take a base CTS over a 300. I wouldn't turn down a loaded 300, but a loaded CTS versus loaded 300, come on. And a loaded STS? Don't even need to ask the question.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
I'm still having a hard time believing the STS is offered with a V6 for $45K. Had to go check on Edmunds just to make sure people on here weren't making typos.

WTF is that all about?
STS
Cheapest V6 on their lot = just under $41K
Most loaded V6 = about $50K
Cheapest V8 = just under $48K
Most loaded V8 = about $61K

300C
Cheapest = about $34K
Most expensive = about $39K

All over the map, from a loss-leader with a prominent $23.9K sticker on it, to $33k Limiteds
Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by General Z
Sorry but for me the fact that Cadillac and Chrysler would even be compared is troubling. I personally would NEVER make this comparison. Unfortunately for your partner, the 300 will end up being a rattle trap piece of crap in the long run and the Cadillac will not. As a newly former Chrysler technician, Chrysler is an inferior product in my opinion. From a Neon through a loaded 300, they are poor.

I personally would take a base CTS over a 300. I wouldn't turn down a loaded 300, but a loaded CTS versus loaded 300, come on. And a loaded STS? Don't even need to ask the question.
I guess you've forgotten that Cadillac has made it's fair share of "rattle trap pieces of crap" over the last few decades.

On the other hand, the Chrysler 300C owes far more to Mercedes than it does to the terrible old pre-Daimler Chrysler.

I'd say that a car as amazing as the Chrysler 300C deserves to be compared to any Cadillac. From the standpoint of reliability and build quality, I honestly believe that a Chrysler 300C is just a good as a Cadillac STS. In fact, the Chrysler might prove to be the superior car down the road.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM

Interesting that you think the interiors are about equivalent. I have not been overly impressed by the LX car interiors.

Perhaps if your first impression had been in a beige-colored STS interior, it might not have soured your opinion of the interior as much.

If she was planning to lease one way or the other (as opposed to buying), I cannot imagine passing up an STS for a 300. I couldn't even take a 300C over an STS V6 (because I think the 300 is hideous). But, it is a free country. Thanks for posting about the whole leasing experience. It is good to hear that the Caddy dealer knows how to treat customers (something Lexus is also good at, so Caddy needs to be).
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
I'd say that a car as amazing as the Chrysler 300C deserves to be compared to any Cadillac. From the standpoint of reliability and build quality, I honestly believe that a Chrysler 300C is just a good as a Cadillac STS. In fact, the Chrysler might prove to be the superior car down the road.
I usually agree with your opinions, but in this case, WTF? Chrysler is CRAP. The Pacifica is such a turd, you can rank it with an Aztek. Chrysler a superior product to any new Cadillac? Puh-lease.

This is a ridiculous topic that could go on for days. I don't have time to get into a debate of it, so this is the last post I will make on the subject.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
I guess you've forgotten that Cadillac has made it's fair share of "rattle trap pieces of crap" over the last few decades.
Fair enough.
On the other hand, the Chrysler 300C owes far more to Mercedes than it does to the terrible old pre-Daimler Chrysler.
I disagree. And I wouldn't say "terrible old pre-Daimler". From what I remember, Chrysler was doing just fine before Mercedes came in and misled everyone, emptying Chrysler's bank accounts while they were at it. It is true, of course, that the 300 would not have happened exactly as it is without the Daimler influence (E-class bits, etc.). But the parts that people seem to love about the 300 (the Hemi, the styling , the room) are Chrysler. Besides, it isn't like Mercedes' quality scores of late have been exactly bragging material...
I disagree.

Quick Reply: Cadillac vs. Chrysler--Real Buyer Experience