Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Cadillac STS & HUMMER H3 win interior awards.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:17 PM

Cadillac STS & HUMMER H3 win interior awards.

Even though the H3 is crude, and doomed to fail and all.... it gets applauded for it's interior:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=14926

Cadillac STS and HUMMER H3 win Auto Interiors Awards

DETROIT - Two of General Motors newest vehicles, the 2005 Cadillac STS and the 2006 Hummer H3, garnered honors in their respective car and truck categories for automotive "Interior of the Year".

Nominated by Ward's Auto World magazine, the Cadillac STS won "industry-at-large, premium priced car. The Hummer H3, which begins shipping to dealers later this month, won the "industry-at-large, popular priced truck"

The 2005 STS marks the return of rear-wheel-drive for the model after nearly 25 years as a front drive model. The interior choices of the Cadillac include aluminum trim on both console and instrument panel on V6 models and two color choices for wood trim that is standard on V8 models. Other exclusive features of the STS interior include Tuscany leather seats that are available with heating and cooling functions, Bose 5.1 audio system and four-color, adjustable navigation screen.

"Our goal with the STS interior, in keeping with the philosophy of the entire vehicle, was to strike just the right balance between luxury and performance attributes," said David Leone, vehicle chief engineer for Cadillac. "We incorporated a number of high-technology features in an interior design that is both contemporary and inviting. This award, as well as the reaction of the media and customers to the STS, tells us that we were successful in achieving that balance."

The 2006 HUMMER H3 interior represents the future design theme for the brand. As a mid-size SUV, the H3 is more likely to be a primary vehicle in a household than previous HUMMERS. This fact influenced the design strongly, making comfort and intuitive function the key design objectives "The goal was to make the interior more refined, purposeful. comfortable and well-crafted, " according to Jon Albert, interior design manager for the H3. The interior features bright trim accents and more use of color than any previous hummer. Six interior color combinations are available - three for the standard cloth seats and three for the available leather.

The center stack, flush fit to the instrument panel, is finished in a material called Nissha. This new material carries a metallic finish for a premium look, but is resistant to light reflection and smudges for excellent wear. An emerging material for automobiles, Nissha has previously been used mostly in the electronics industry. This material also is used as the main component in the gauge cluster.

More than eighty journalists and 900 industry at-large executives made the winning selections. Thirteen cars and 10 trucks were nominated for Interior of the Year awards.

The Auto Interiors Show is the largest annual industry event in the world dedicated exclusively to interiors professionals, and is attended by several thousand interior professionals who come to see the latest in vehicle interior products, components and technologies.

Cadillac and HUMMER are divisions of General Motors (NYSE: GM). More information on Cadillac or HUMMER can be found at media.gm.com. General Motors, the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Re: Cadillac STS & HUMMER H3 win interior awards.

H3 interior looks nice from what I saw in NYC (from 6 feet away ) and in hi-res pics. It kind of looks like my Colorados, can I swap it in

Cadillac did an all around great job on the STS
Old 05-18-2005, 04:23 PM

Glad to hear that GM is taking interiors seriously.

I still think somebody needs to come out with a 1990's 300zx esque interior in where the lower dash, console, and doors all merge into one seemless piece, and use some other material than plastic such as leather, fabric, suede, etc.

I also think manufactors need to put color back into the interiors, like the GTO has done with the red, blue, purple, and yellow gauge and leather.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I still think somebody needs to come out with a 1990's 300zx esque interior in where the lower dash, console, and doors all merge into one seemless piece, and use some other material than plastic such as leather, fabric, suede, etc.
Like this?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Like this?
i like those.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Wow, the H3's interior didnt look that special when I drove it. Basically a Colorado with nicer seats and a spruced up dash.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:15 PM

I'd like to remind everyone about the comments those assclowns over at Motor Trend made about how some of the materials used in the STS were "Cavalier cheap."

I hate Motor Trend. Too bad I'm subscribed through like 2007...maybe this is a sign I should cancel?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by AronZ28

I also think manufactors need to put color back into the interiors, like the GTO has done with the red, blue, purple, and yellow gauge and leather.

I agree totally with this.

I've been saying the same thing for a long time.

I'm tired of black, grey, and beige on EVERYTHING.

The blue interior on my GTO was a strong selling point to me.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I agree totally with this.

I've been saying the same thing for a long time.

I'm tired of black, grey, and beige on EVERYTHING.

The blue interior on my GTO was a strong selling point to me.
the only thing i remember about colored interiors are these few things

the dark green in my dad's old buick regal with a light green exterior
the old camaro's with blue interiors that are totally ragged and nasty looking now
old lincolns, etc. like white ext. with blue interior

in the gtos it looks nice...right now
i just think of how bad it'll look when ragged out and uncared for
Old 05-19-2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
the only thing i remember about colored interiors are these few things

the dark green in my dad's old buick regal with a light green exterior
the old camaro's with blue interiors that are totally ragged and nasty looking now
old lincolns, etc. like white ext. with blue interior

in the gtos it looks nice...right now
i just think of how bad it'll look when ragged out and uncared for
I see your point, but colors go in and out of fashion all the time.

It's not limited to interior colors either....I wonder how Sunset Orange Metallic and the like will be viewed in 20 years... will it be like "Dark Brown Metallic" on Corvettes from 1978?

As a new car buyer, I'm not all that concerned with how the car will look to people 20 years down the road... and if it was still my car, it wouldn't be all beat up... and if it wasn't my car any longer.... it'd be sad, but I really wouldn't care.

FWIW, I think a torn up grey interior would look just as bad as a torn up blue interior...

One thing I will say though, is I love the way that GTO, and Mustang integrate "splashes" of color, instead of doing the whole cockpit in color... the blue (or red or purple) in a GTO is on the seats, the stiching, the guage faces, the floor matt trim, and parts of the door panels... but the rest is black and brushed nickel, so it's not overkill. The new Mustang's red accent interior is similar.

The new C6 is also done well with a mix. I love the red interior on the C6, but I actually wish they would make the center console cover in black rather than red to help divide the cockpit...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Darth you are on such a roll here lately.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Darth you are on such a roll here lately.

You make me blush!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM

He's all pumped about Revenge of the Sith
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
He's all pumped about Revenge of the Sith

I am actually waiting a week or so to go see it... let the crowds thin out.

I don't have any "props" to bring other than my light-up lightsaber spoon that I just got in a box of Kellogg's Corn Pop's.... I'll light that baby up during the intro though!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I'd like to remind everyone about the comments those assclowns over at Motor Trend made about how some of the materials used in the STS were "Cavalier cheap."
I saw that and thought, did they even sit in the car? I mean if they didn't think they were up to par with BMW or Audi them they should have just said that, but to compare it to the Cavalier just blows any credibility they had with that article.