Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out

Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Re: CAD drawing of 2014 Corvette rear fascia leaks out

It looks like the 5th gen rear-end with a decklid spoiler on it to me .
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Everything seems to be adopting Camaro style 4-pod tail lamps.

Honestly though, this is more originally a Corvette trait. The later C4 lamps were more square than round...

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 10-01-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM

I think the pickups even have the same style lights, except theirs are stacked instead of side-by-side.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by gtjeff
Looks like the Chevy guys must have really liked the look of the Fastback Fiero GT.

Much more likely that the inspiration here was taken from the 68 - 73 , 74 - 77 Corvette rear glass treatment................

Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 68z28
As did the '68's with RS taillights
To be 100% accurate they were separate lenses in a single housing within one opening. The non-RS actually used the same bezel and housing, the only difference being the back-up light was on the inside position, instead of a separate housing below the bumper. Which is why as you can see from the photo provided, that isn't an RS (no back-up light below the bumper). The lenses were changed on a standard Camaro to make it look like an RS. (This is done more often than not. Sometimes they use the 1967 RS lens which were mounted in the same housing with a single bezel, making it appear as one lens.)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM

I don't know... but I LIKE IT!

at least what i have seen so far.. i think it's a step in the right direction. I like the futuristic evolution that they are going with.... I welcome it!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM

the only thing I really don't like in that rear quarter image is the black triangular region just outside of the taillight. I really like the new rear pillar and glass design. I think the old hatch style had gone virtually unchanged for a very long time and if they continued with it again, it'd get stale. The rear glass isn't set nearly as far in as the older vette that Darth Xed posted, it looks like the body has a ridge that protrudes from the glass surface by a few inches at the most.

I'm curious to know how the hatch opens (if it is a hatch). It looks like there is a deck lid with a curved seam running to the rear corner of the glass and I just can't make sense of how it would open with the seam going to that location.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
the only thing I really don't like in that rear quarter image is the black triangular region just outside of the taillight. I really like the new rear pillar and glass design. I think the old hatch style had gone virtually unchanged for a very long time and if they continued with it again, it'd get stale. The rear glass isn't set nearly as far in as the older vette that Darth Xed posted, it looks like the body has a ridge that protrudes from the glass surface by a few inches at the most.

I'm curious to know how the hatch opens (if it is a hatch). It looks like there is a deck lid with a curved seam running to the rear corner of the glass and I just can't make sense of how it would open with the seam going to that location.

Ya, I think the C3 style rear was a bit of an inspiration here, but clearly the C7 is nowhere near as probounced in it's execution.

I know the C3's have a big aerodynamics issue with the area directly vehhind the rear window, something of a vacuum or negative pressure area or whatever (I remember watching a film in a wind tunnel demonstrating the issue on an old C3).

I would assume this was about as far as the could push the 'kickback' in the C7's rear window without having issues.

A nod to a past styling cue, nothing more.

Oh ya, and I agree about the black taillamp area... just an unpleasant shape at least on 'paper'.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
the only thing I really don't like in that rear quarter image is the black triangular region just outside of the taillight.
Agreed. In other renderings I had seen I was hoping it was just a sticker. In this rendering it appears to be a recessed section surrounding the tail lights. To me they give it a "sad eyes" look. Not a good look for America's Sportscar.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Obviously final judgement reserved for the finished product but from what I've seen so far of the leaked nose and now tail the C7 style IMO is best summed up with the word "busy".

I get the feeling that GM is really trying to pack a lot into this C7. I just hope they don't get too carried away. The last 3 generations in their base form have been a hallmark of simple, bold but clean style allowing the more extreem models in the linup to more aggressive and cluttered design.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Obviously final judgement reserved for the finished product but from what I've seen so far of the leaked nose and now tail the C7 style IMO is best summed up with the word "busy".

I get the feeling that GM is really trying to pack a lot into this C7. I just hope they don't get too carried away. The last 3 generations in their base form have been a hallmark of simple, bold but clean style allowing the more extreem models in the linup to more aggressive and cluttered design.
I agree, but I think several of the "busy" renderings (including the apparently spot-on Jalopnik images) are actually of the Z06 / ZR1 level cars.