Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

C6 spy shoits... headlamps showing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:42 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Meccadeth
You can't even really tell what they look like from those pics...you guys are getting too excited...
Exactly. Lets see the real thing first.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Sixer-Bird
Exactly. Lets see the real thing first.
There's not a lot of reason to believe this is not the real thing... unless you buy into the idea that GM built many 'diversionary' C6 mules, with incorrect body parts, and shipped them to different corners of the earth... whic I have a hard time believing.

Can you see the entire headlamp? No.... but I can see enough of the projector bulb area to know that I really really really do not like it.

I am usually on the "wait and see it un-cammo'd" boat too, but there is enough here to see to pass somewhat of a judgement.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:45 PM

Alright, the ONLY reason to have kept the lame pop up headlights is styling tradition dating back to '63. The original 'Vettes didn't even have them; they were fixed. A little change now and then can be a good thing...The car will look new and fresh while still looking VERY Corvette overall.

The C5 was criticized for looking too much like the C4 when it first came out. So now they make a significant styling change to the front end, and it will be hit from that angle. Unfortunately, you can't please all the people all of the time. I don't think too many people will complain about the car's performance or refinement, though...
Old 10-20-2003, 02:12 PM

Theres still camo around the outer edges of those lights. It gives us an idea of the look, but not the whole picture. I believe a finished, complete car will be very good looking.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:11 PM

96_Camaro_B4C do you work for the Corvette team at GM? I'm just curious. If you cant answer I totally understand. I don’t want you to get in trouble. To work on the Corvette team at GM as an engineer is kind of a dream of mine.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:18 PM

GM uses camo for a reason, and there is a reason it is on key parts of the car only. You can't buy one for a while anyways, so why not just wait for it to be unveiled 1st?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
There's not a lot of reason to believe this is not the real thing... unless you buy into the idea that GM built many 'diversionary' C6 mules, with incorrect body parts, and shipped them to different corners of the earth... whic I have a hard time believing.

Can you see the entire headlamp? No.... but I can see enough of the projector bulb area to know that I really really really do not like it.

I am usually on the "wait and see it un-cammo'd" boat too, but there is enough here to see to pass somewhat of a judgement.

I hope I am wrong.
I'm pretty sure that this is the C6, body pannels and all, but I don't think anyone can really make an evaluation on what the car looks like sans camo. Look at the CTS's projector headlamps. They outline the headlight lens in black to give it a "fuller" look. The Impalas have a smiliar treatment too. (i.e. the Euro-mag C6 rendering) I'm hoping thats what they'll do with the C6.

But I really don't think we can conclusively see what the C6 headlight will be in these pics. We have a better idea, but not much else.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:18 PM

I really dont think they are making a big enough jump from teh C5 with the C6. All the other corvette gens look fairly radically different. But this one to me looks A LOT like the C5
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by stars1010
96_Camaro_B4C do you work for the Corvette team at GM? I'm just curious. If you cant answer I totally understand. I don’t want you to get in trouble. To work on the Corvette team at GM as an engineer is kind of a dream of mine.
Not directly for the "team" (it doesn't quite work that way). I'm just a regular ol' Powertrain engineer at the General.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:04 AM

I like the headlamps. I think its a great move for the Corvette and a good way to update the style while dropping some weight and picking up some aero advantage, atleast over the popped up headlights. These light remind me of the Ferrari 360 Modena. Ferrari changed the headlamps this year to have a body colored background as opposed to black. Really sets off the car.

Originally posted by stars1010
Stars1010, It seems to be every engineer at GM's dream to be on the Vette team, designer too! But like anything that lots of people want its hard to get. Yet someone has to do it right, might as well be you. Thats my view.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC
I really dont think they are making a big enough jump from teh C5 with the C6. All the other corvette gens look fairly radically different. But this one to me looks A LOT like the C5
I agree.

I am going to be talking some MAJOR crap if Chevy introduces the C6 at a $5K premium over the old one. Remember when the C5 was introduced and the base price went DOWN? And the C5 probably did not share one nut or bolt with the C4.

Go ahead, Chevy. Introduce this slightly rehashed C5. Raise the price. Watch lots of potential buyers go get 350Zs for $20K less, not knowing or caring that the Corvette is faster. And wait for your worst nightmare to arrive: a 450Z or a 560Z.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:29 PM

The reason the C5 was cheaper than the C4 was that the basic engineering was improved in such a way as to lower the cost of production, fewer parts and assembly steps.

Odds are because of the improvements, C6 will be pricier, but clearly with things like fixed headlamps, GM is trying to reduce some costs where possible. Maybe it will come out at a wash in terms of pricing.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:19 PM

I'm confident that Dave Hill will be doing his utmost to fight for every nickle and oz just as he did with the C5. Unless someone backs him into a corner (which is hard to do as evidenced with the last Corvette) he and his team should come through.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by centric
I agree.

I am going to be talking some MAJOR crap if Chevy introduces the C6 at a $5K premium over the old one. Remember when the C5 was introduced and the base price went DOWN? And the C5 probably did not share one nut or bolt with the C4.
I agree, it will be more of a greatly improved C5 than a totally new car, but will have more HP than the current Z06. I think $45K would be a fair base price for the C6. A fully loaded 500HP Z06 should not cost more than $59K